The great redneck BBQ thread! - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 01-24-2010, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
The great redneck BBQ thread!

Since we have been labeled rednecks and we appreciate the finer things in life and it's too crappy out to drive, a discussion between those who know the difference between BBQ and Grilling.
I myself was depressed when I heard BBQ's Galore closed thier doors here. I have one of their 3 burner 45,000 btu grills and don't know how I could live without it. No stamped stainless steel here, cast iron burners only! To get the smoke some hickory wraped in foil, leave the mesquite in Texas.

------------------------------

Life is Good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-24-2010, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Mr Power Pig had mentioned having a couple pork butts in the deep freeze. I like the idea of sprizing the pork with apple juice to give it a sweet glaze and to keep in moist, have you tried that? I have never tried it but make give it a try on my pork ribs next time. I don't do the pork roasts that often.

I love ribs(probably explains the heart attack) and worked a long time getting them right. My preference if I have the time is to start them a day or two before if I have time and either slow cook, indirect heat on the grill or in the oven for a couple hours in the oven at 300 with a dry rub and some lemon juice. Then I let them cool and wrap the racks in plastic wrap with a marinade of red wine, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar and a little garlic. Letting them cool and sitting overnight in the fridge really allows the tough fibers in the ribs break down. The next day all you have to do is throw them on the grill for 15 minutes or so and put on a some Sweet Baby Rays honey BBQ sauce. Your talking some really good fall off the bone ribs that are not at all greasy.

Life is Good!
post #3 of 31 Old 01-24-2010, 09:04 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 40
I use the apple juice spritz on my pork butts. I sometimes mix it with a little rum. I also inject my meat with various marinades.

As far as cookers, I have a Big Green Egg, Two Masterbuilt Electric Smokers, a Weber Genesis Gold and a Weber Q. I like the Egg best of all.

post #4 of 31 Old 01-24-2010, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Owner

What fuel do you use for the pork butt? I have never had great success with smoking the roasts in the past. Too much smoke flavor and the entire meat turning red inside. I saw on the BBQ pit masters show that a lot of them wrap the roast in foil after the first hour or two in the smokers. This way you get just the right amount of smoke flavor near the outside portions of the roast while still allowing the meat to taste like meat and not burnt wood.

I really like Kansas City stlye brisket. I'll have to try this out when it warms up a bit. My neighbor has a Green Egg and the food that comes off of it is really good. Have you ever tried smoking your buffalo wings? I have a friend that smokes them first and then baths them in the standard buffalo wing sauce.

Life is Good!
post #5 of 31 Old 01-24-2010, 10:28 AM

I spritz brisket with apple juice and bourbon and rub it down with Tobasco Chipotle Sauce or horseradish mustard. I've smoked wings on the egg, but the skin isn't very crispy. I use apple wood on the pork butt but only add it the first hour or so. That way it isn't oversmoked. I cook the butt low and slow for 16-20 hours.
post #6 of 31 Old 01-24-2010, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Any good ideas for chicken? I slow cook it indirect heat for about an hour and 15 minutes and it comes out really juicy and not all burned up on the outside but need some work on the flavor dept? A couple years ago I finally figured out you can't just throw it on the grill over the coals and expect to get anything worth eating. I love the Sweet Baby Rays on my beef and pork ribs but I doesn't do much for chicken.

Life is Good!
post #7 of 31 Old 01-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #8 of 31 Old 01-24-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRace View Post
Any good ideas for chicken? I slow cook it indirect heat for about an hour and 15 minutes and it comes out really juicy and not all burned up on the outside but need some work on the flavor dept? A couple years ago I finally figured out you can't just throw it on the grill over the coals and expect to get anything worth eating. I love the Sweet Baby Rays on my beef and pork ribs but I doesn't do much for chicken.
Try spatchcocking a whole chicken or turkey. Comes out super juicy and you can cook it over direct or indirect heat. I did a bunch of turkeys this way this past thanksgiving and the diners raved!
post #9 of 31 Old 01-24-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
rubbin down pork butts. sounds kinky.
Sorry, this is a redneck only thread.
post #10 of 31 Old 01-24-2010, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Owner

spachcocking? I'll have to look that one up. Sounds like something Wetpet might do to a chicken?

Life is Good!
post #11 of 31 Old 01-24-2010, 02:59 PM

You basically cut the backbone out and flatten the bird. That way, the whole bird cooks evenly. Give it a try!
post #12 of 31 Old 01-24-2010, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerpig View Post
You basically cut the backbone out and flatten the bird. That way, the whole bird cooks evenly. Give it a try!
There's a South American place on Rockville Pike called El Pollo Primo that does them that way with a lot of citrus marinade and spices. What do you recomend for flavor? I'm looking for a good BBQ chicken recipe.

I've got a great Jerk Chicken recipe I use for wings on the grill. Everyone loves them.

Life is Good!
post #13 of 31 Old 01-24-2010, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Has anyone tried the beer can chicken on the grill? I've heard that is good but I've never tried it.

Life is Good!
post #14 of 31 Old 01-24-2010, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Owner

For my burgers I grill them with some Thyme and red wine mixed in the beef. The Thyme really brings out the taste and gives them that flavor you get in the high end burger resturants.

Once they are on the grill I try not to poke at them or do anything that would sqeeze any of the juices out of them. I see too many people playing with them too much and pushing down on them with the spatula. The other thing I look for in a grill as a nice cast iron cooking grate. You get that cast iron hot so it gives you those nice grill marks and seals in the juices.

Life is Good!
post #15 of 31 Old 01-24-2010, 04:13 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 438
indirect heat

I like the indirect method of cooking. Once you get your times down and start cooking with a good thin thermometer, you have a lot more time to socialize. Also, since your not cooking directly over the heat, you avoid the drippings hitting the coals which is theorized to cause cancer. You also avoid the flare ups.

With burgers, I start by searing them over the coals for a minute then go to the side and not hit them with the spatula. Also, I like using an egg in the mix and some bread crumbs along with the usual suspects of spices.

My favorite cut is flank steak, soaked in soy and some delicate hot sauce. At a touch over medium rare, cut across the grain on an angle and very thin, some of the best stuff on the planet.

Years ago I used to work at Sol Shearer's Barbecue ranch. We could feed 500 people at a time. I learned how to bbq quite efficiently there.

I'll check in with Andy on the possibility of maybe bbq'ing at his place. Its a party house and has a really nice setup for entertaining.

regards

ken
post #16 of 31 Old 01-24-2010, 07:44 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #17 of 31 Old 01-25-2010, 06:19 AM

oops

Quote:
hey ken,
I apologize if I have somehow offended you. How, I dont' know. I was merely trying to add to the discourse on bbq'ing. Seeing as to the fact you haven't added anything of note to this particular discussion, why don't you shut the fuck up?

Happy Monday

ken
post #18 of 31 Old 01-25-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
hey ken,
Is it your mission to add meaningless crap to threads? I was invited over here to participate and all I see is your hateful crap. Most of it is decent crap, but it's still crap.
post #19 of 31 Old 01-25-2010, 07:50 AM

I'm sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerpig View Post
Is it your mission to add meaningless crap to threads? I was invited over here to participate and all I see is your hateful crap. Most of it is decent crap, but it's still crap.
I'm sure that its Ed just giving me crap. My response was meant in jest. That's just Ed being Ed. I consider Ed to be a good friend. I think he was mindlessly being a douche.

ken
post #20 of 31 Old 01-25-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvisser View Post
I'm sure that its Ed just giving me crap. My response was meant in jest. That's just Ed being Ed. I consider Ed to be a good friend. I think he was mindlessly being a douche.

ken
Well, at least he's very good at being a douche.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode