garage door installer in DC - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 12-22-2009, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10
garage door installer in DC

Hi everyone,

I've decided that this spring I'm going to spruce up my garage in DC. I have a detached garage built a long time ago, and the door is this solid wood monster that swings into the garage on these huge springs. It eats into a lot of space in the garage and since the wood is warped, the seal is no good and all kinds of debris gets into the garage all the time.

So, I'd need someone to make the thing disappear and install a regular garage door (plastic/composite is OK garage gives out to an alley),that follows the slope of the roof -- hopefully giving enough space to put in a lift down the road.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

-Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-22-2009, 05:50 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 40
Eric, I used Gehman Overhead Doors, in Mt. Airy. 410-635-2775.

I had a standard door installed, and also a high-lift door (with jackshaft opener). They did a great job -- lots of attention to detail. Prices were competitive as well.

It's a family run business. As far as I could tell, the father manages the overall business, the mother handles the phones and orders, and the two sons do the installations. Not sure if they do work in the DC area.

- Eric
post #3 of 8 Old 12-22-2009, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Owner

i'll check them out, thanks!

post #4 of 8 Old 12-22-2009, 08:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
look into the jack shaft garage door openers as well instead of a regular garage door opener. That way you can put the tracks very close to the ceiling and have nothing hanging down so you have more clearance for the lift. http://www.liftmaster.com/consumerwe...lJackshaft.htm

I think someone else makes them as well. Got the idea from LetsJet so I have to give him the credit. Installation looks cleaner than a regular garage door opener.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRace View Post
look into the jack shaft garage door openers as well instead of a regular garage door opener. That way you can put the tracks very close to the ceiling and have nothing hanging down so you have more clearance for the lift. http://www.liftmaster.com/consumerwe...lJackshaft.htm
That's the exact opener I have. It works great -- smooth and nearly silent operation. It comes with a battery backup, since there is no way to release the door to open it manually in the event of a power failure.

- Eric
post #6 of 8 Old 12-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
Eric,

I looked around and got pricing from several door companies. All were expensive and wouldn't guaranty what I wanted done, which was have the door roll up to an inch of the ceiling. -- except for http://www.garagedoorservicesbyed.com/index.html

This guy was about half the price and did a very professional job. I recall it was a bit difficult to reach him, but I think he's a one man shop. Well worth giving him a call.

Good Luck
post #7 of 8 Old 12-30-2009, 01:18 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #8 of 8 Old 12-31-2009, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Owner

hey letsjet, good to find you on the board! Thanks for the recommendation, seems like he definitely services DC. I have to wait for better weather to get this done, since I need to get the car out of the garage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode