College recommendation - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 12-10-2009, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
College recommendation

Anyone have an opinion re: Salisbury University

My daughter has been accepted there and some other schools. She seems to like that one best. Although we have not visited yet, the website (like thats a good measure) seems to depict it as a rather quiet school. Proximity to home, low tuition, and (so far) reasonable reputation place it fairly high on my list also.

Nice that it does not seem to be a party school but party's aren't that far (read OC is 1/2 hour).

She wants to study Psycology. I assume to figure out just exactly what is wrong with her father.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196
That leaves: What are the alternatives/optional schools. Need that for better insight.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #3 of 23 Old 12-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Well Lane, it sounds like you are comfortable with that school and since you are footing the bill..........

As for the major, my ex-wife has a degree in psychology and she's a friggin' whacko.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."

post #4 of 23 Old 12-10-2009, 04:52 PM
Owner

too bad she can't treat herself, but sure Lane has a nicer daughter than your [DEAMON] from elsewhere

BUT Like Pete says: Sounds like you made a choice and sounds like a nice school.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

Last edited by Granucci; 12-10-2009 at 04:58 PM.
post #5 of 23 Old 12-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
I have a friends son that is going there now taking Psyc. I can put you in touch with him if you want a students point of view. He was going WVA but was having to much trouble staying sober since anyone that could walk could get into a bar there. Besides O.C. nothing around but chickens and related byproducts ie: eggs, chicken shit. O.C. is fairly quiet while school is in session and they don't tolerate underage drinking.
post #6 of 23 Old 12-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
My employee got accepted there and his brother goes there now. undoubtedly a small, quiet university. Salisbury is a small city on the eastern shore. It is very close to OC. But i imagine she might come home for the summers? Bit of a party school as there is nothing else to do around there. It is very laid back. But i guess the downside is it's a lower tier school. not really gonna impress on the resume like a maryland or a UVA. So if she wants small, laid back lower tier school.... also, there are a lot of whiteys.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #7 of 23 Old 12-10-2009, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
too bad she can't treat herself, but sure Lane has a nicer daughter than your [DEAMON] from elsewhere
I'm going 50/50 with her on costs. Kind of mixed emotions on that. On one hand, she should get the best education she can and my money will improve those chances. On the other hand, responsibility, responsibility, responsibility. Working your way through college deffinately makes it more difficult, but more rewarding as well.

Don't get me wrong...If she gets in too deep, Daddy with be there. She is an incredibly strong woman and I don't expect any issue's with her success wherever she goes.

She's waiting for a response from Elon in NC. Better academic school for sure. Those are her top 2. Also applied and accepted at Frostburg and Roanoke but doesn't like either of them.

Lane

post #8 of 23 Old 12-10-2009, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
It is very close to OC. But i imagine she might come home for the summers?

If she comes home, it will be to an empty house. We'll be in OC

J/K We love the eastern shore. Wifey likes the thought of SU because she can be there in 6 hours. (that is a differant problem)

Lane

post #9 of 23 Old 12-11-2009, 01:01 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
If you can you really should visit the campus and talk to students. Most colleges also have a program where you can spend 1 night and half a day with a student. Think of it as a PPI. Then do that for 2 more schools if time will permit.
post #10 of 23 Old 12-11-2009, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Waiting for the Elon reply then visiting. Perhaps at Christmas Vaca. I'm looking forward to visiting the Sonic.

Lane

post #11 of 23 Old 12-11-2009, 07:00 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Bastage View Post
Waiting for the Elon reply then visiting. Perhaps at Christmas Vaca. I'm looking forward to visiting the Sonic.
All very good schools you mentioned. I have a contact in LinkedIn who graduated from Elon; my neighbor's son graduated from Salisbury. Sometimes, the smaller schools are better suited for kids - they get to know their professors and it's a smaller fraternity.

You might check out St Marys College in MD as well - great liberal arts school. I have several friends who are alumni and have done quite well in their lives.

Be happy with the fact that she has expressed an interest in Higher Ed. Sounds like you raised a great kid.

Keep us posted. Some us live close by Salisbury and can invite her to local parties/cookouts, etc. if she wants to hang out with motorheads.

We'll get Wetpet to be on his best behavior.
post #12 of 23 Old 12-11-2009, 08:34 AM
Owner

Quote:
If she comes home, it will be to an empty house. We'll be in OC

J/K We love the eastern shore. Wifey likes the thought of SU because she can be there in 6 hours. (that is a differant problem)
Where is OC? I'm on 134th, Richard from Competizione is a few blocks north of me.
post #13 of 23 Old 12-11-2009, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Where is, or where in?

What ever hotel gives us a price. Usually the Rodeway Inn at 30th. 2 block's from the end of the Boardwalk. Nice and quiet plus access.

Your at 134th....Wifey likes J.R.'s, Hanna's is my fav.

360...Her boyfriend is going to St Mary's.....So...NO

Lane

Last edited by Saint Bastage; 12-11-2009 at 01:33 PM.
post #14 of 23 Old 12-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Owner

Quote:
I'm going 50/50 with her on costs. Kind of mixed emotions on that. On one hand, she should get the best education she can and my money will improve those chances. On the other hand, responsibility, responsibility, responsibility. Working your way through college deffinately makes it more difficult, but more rewarding as well.

Don't get me wrong...If she gets in too deep, Daddy with be there. She is an incredibly strong woman and I don't expect any issue's with her success wherever she goes.

She's waiting for a response from Elon in NC. Better academic school for sure. Those are her top 2. Also applied and accepted at Frostburg and Roanoke but doesn't like either of them.

That's extremly generous: My father's take on my college path "You are going to college, find a way to pay for it."

Got a full ride scholarship to the university of my choice. Built character in a sense, and made life VERY difficult. Worked at nights as a fry cook--nothing like peers getting drunk at 2am--and other stuff. Forced me to maintain a higher than average GPA....double science degree too as requied in the terms.

She'll be ok, and I personally believe you are doing the correct thing in having a split of sorts. She would need to know the real world and how life is/will change...GROWING up, and after all, isn't that the end game of a parent?

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #15 of 23 Old 12-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Owner

Quote:
Where is, or where in?

What ever hotel gives us a price. Usually the Rodeway Inn at 30th. 2 block's from the end of the Boardwalk. Nice and quiet plus access.

Your at 134th....Wifey likes J.R.'s, Hanna's is my fav.

360...Her boyfriend is going to St Mary's.....So...NO
Nicks is so much better the JR's. Try Mancinis in Fenwick for great Italian food, Anthony's on 16th for some good pit Beef.
post #16 of 23 Old 12-11-2009, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRace View Post
Nicks is so much better the JR's. Try Mancinis in Fenwick for great Italian food, Anthony's on 16th for some good pit Beef.
Thats the Sub shop at Philly and 17th right? Fresh cut Roast Beef, Turkey, Ham, Awesome....just Awesome. Filled the cooler with 6 sandwiches before we left last summer.

Philly and 16th is English's.....(Eeeewwww)

Lane

post #17 of 23 Old 12-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,154
Hi lane,

I'll give my .02. I am an Educated undergraduate from Boston and thing it is one of the best places if not the best place to attend undergraduate school in the country. If boston is not her cup of tea I would stay within New England unless she can attend a top rated school outside of NE. Even though I received my B.S. and MBA from universities in NE, I grew up in the midwest so I am not biased. It was difficult for me to bypass the big schools of the SECOND and Big 10, but I wanted an education and not a piece of paper. I understand that a good education can be achieved with hard work, but where one goes to school makes a difference in atmosphere as to help one in working hard and then marketability upom graduation. I would suggest staying in NE and attend the best school one can buy. Even though I never plan to return to Boston, I will encourage my children to attend college there, unless they get into a top school outside NE, You live in CT and I am sure you understand what I am talking about. I am actually a little surprised that she would consider attending school outside NE. Am a curious, why not UCONN?
post #18 of 23 Old 12-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Owner

I posted the above reply from a blackberry and cannot edit it. please note in the 2nd sentence thing is think and SECOND is SEC,
post #19 of 23 Old 12-11-2009, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I read it correctly and I agree completely about NE schools

She was (at one time) serious about Newbury and Southern New Hampshire but has changed her thoughts about the Major. I'm not really sure why but the mid atlantic states have taken her attention.

I feel I should allow her the latitude to pick her own destiny since she will be somewhat financially responsible.

The other part I haven't yet mentioned is a more deep seeded and politcally incorrect position. While expressing a serious interest and commitment to completing a "higher education" she has also informed us that she see's herself as a mother and housewife in 5 to 10 years. When you add that to the mix, it creates all sorts of questions that really gets my pants in a bunch.

There are no easy answers here, just...is Salisbury good enough?

Lane

post #20 of 23 Old 12-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Owner

Well, with respect to the mother issue, I met lots of girls in boston attending expensive schools with the objective of getting their MRS degree so that should not be a surprise (I thimk my wife is a proud member of it). With respect to letting her choose, I agree to a point as I said I will encourage my kids to study in NE and moving back to CT will help that out. Yes, she has to be happy and part of the process as she will make the decision, but daddy can be very persuasive no?

With respect to salisbury state, it was never on my radar screen and to be honest, I would choose a similar school in NE. She also has to ask herself, will a degree from salisbury get me to where I want to go and the person I want to be in life (e.g., does she want grad school, live in NE, South, mid atlantic etc.)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode