Fow - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 12-06-2009, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Fow

Haven't heard those letters uttered in months. Anyone have any news?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
you mean american service center.... west?

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....
post #3 of 27 Old 12-06-2009, 08:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 483
fow

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
Haven't heard those letters uttered in months. Anyone have any news?
I am on their mailing list, just got a letter recommending that I service the 360. It was just at Competizione this summer, so I don't think so.

current Ferraris: 1995 F355 Spider, 2000 360F1 Modena

Stand up and be counted, or lay down and be mounted.

post #4 of 27 Old 12-06-2009, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

post #5 of 27 Old 12-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Owner

Not to sound harsh but they made their bed when they decided they weren't interested in being part of our enthusiast community. This was amplified when they fired everyone that had any ties to the region. All they seem to care about is moving cars.

post #6 of 27 Old 12-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
They called asking me to bring the fcars in for service
I LOL And then unloaded
same old same old

no apologies or refund for service charges billed
and not provided

Said it wasn't thier problem and to take it up with prior owners

no change
post #7 of 27 Old 12-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 Modena View Post
They called asking me to bring the fcars in for service
I LOL And then unloaded
same old same old

no apologies or refund for service charges billed
and not provided

Said it wasn't thier problem and to take it up with prior owners

no change
But if you owed the old FoW money and the new guys came in--they would be trying everything to get that money from you... Place has gone downhill for sure...
post #8 of 27 Old 12-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 642
My friend Michael Bayer has a saying about posts on chat sites; "If it feels good, then you probably shouldn't post it." Well, this will feel good, mostly because I am pretty defensive about my old man.

In the middle of this last summer, the AC in my Mini failed and dad followed me out to Mini of Sterling so I could drop off the car. Dad cruised over to FoW to introduce himself to the new management, while I got the Mini checked in. Dad had the Prancing Horse w/ him that had he and the Mondial on the cover. When I walked over there not ten minutes later, he was ready to head out the front door of FoW. He had met the younger owner - no recognition, never heard of dad or the car (which had just been featured at a special gathering at FoW just 9 months or so earlier), and frankly no apparent interest in getting to know the story of the car. So after 10 minutes there was nothing more to say. Dad was amused, I was not.

Call me crazy, but it seems to me that a Ferrari dealer, much more so than dealers of other, more mass-produced cars, would want to pay special attention to the Ferrari enthusiast community. That community is literally your bread and butter. I know there have been plenty of negative things to say about the previous ownership of FoW relating to some of their services and sales practices, but you cannot deny that Allie and Co. were enthusiasts and supported events that they did not have to do, which probably made a decent dent in their bottom line. You also cannot deny that a guy like Redding Finney helped bring together the Ferrari community in a tremendous way. One of the things I noticed about the showroom (the 30 seconds I was there) was that there were no vintage or classic Ferraris on the floor. Allie believed it was important to connect younger or first-time buyers to Ferrari history - the stories and cars that made Ferrari what it is today. I'm sure Allie/Redding and Co. knew that neither my father or someone like Dick Merritt would ever be buying anything more from them than t-shirts and mugs. But they also recognized the value in having local dinosaurs like these two guys - FCA charter members and in Dick's case, club founder - present at events to build the community.

You would think that a new owner of an existing Ferrari dealership would make an significant effort to get to know the Ferrari community. Such an effort would include reaching out to the regional FCA chapter, seeing what events the previous dealer sponsored, checking to see who the local Ferrari collectors are, and maybe seeing if the local guy who scored the covers of both Cavallino and PH might want to come out to meet and greet. I have no idea if the new FoW has made any overtures to FCA-MAR, but it sounds like the old service list is merely the fodder for craven cold calls.

On the other hand, we've never owned a Ferrari newer than 1968 and likely never will, and any old Ferrari we have, or will ever have, will go thru Classiche over my dead body. So a Ferrari dealer should not give a crap about what I think. I am an open-minded guy and it is possible that I have completely mis-judged the new FoW ownership - I'm ready to be disabused of my current opinion.

Last edited by bryanp; 12-09-2009 at 12:26 PM.
post #9 of 27 Old 12-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanp View Post
My friend Michael Bayer has a saying about posts on chat sites; "If it feels good, then you probably shouldn't post it." Well, this will feel good, mostly because I am pretty defensive about my old man.

In the middle of this last summer, the AC in my Mini failed and dad followed me out to Mini of Sterling so I could drop off the car. Dad cruised over to FoW to introduce himself to the new management, while I got the Mini checked in. Dad had the Prancing Horse w/ him that had he and the Mondial on the cover. When I walked over there not ten minutes later, he was ready to head out the front door of FoW. He had met the younger owner - no recognition, never heard of dad or the car (which had just been featured at a special gathering at FoW just 9 months or so earlier), and frankly no apparent interest in getting to know the story of the car. So after 10 minutes there was nothing more to say. Dad was amused, I was not.

Call me crazy, but it seems to me that a Ferrari dealer, much more so than dealers of other, more mass-produced cars, would want to pay special attention to the Ferrari enthusiast community. That community is literally your bread and butter. I know there have been plenty of negative things to say about the previous ownership of FoW relating to some of their services and sales practices, but you cannot deny that Allie and Co. were enthusiasts and supported events that they did not have to do, which probably made a decent dent in their bottom line. You also cannot deny that a guy like Redding Finney helped bring together the Ferrari community in a tremendous way. One of the things I noticed about the showroom (the 30 seconds I was there) was that there were no vintage or classic Ferraris on the floor. Allie believed it was important to connect younger or first-time buyers to Ferrari history - the stories and cars that made Ferrari what it is today. I'm sure Allie/Redding and Co. knew that neither my father or someone like Dick Merritt would ever be buying anything more from them than t-shirts and mugs. But they also recognized the value in having local dinosaurs like these two guys - FCA charter members and in Dick's case, club founder - present at events to build the community.

You would think that a new owner of an existing Ferrari dealership would make an significant effort to get to know the Ferrari community. Such an effort would include reaching out to the regional FCA chapter, seeing what events the previous dealer sponsored, checking to see who the local Ferrari collectors are, and maybe seeing if the local guy who scored the covers of both Cavallino and PH might want to come out to meet and greet. Instead, it sounds like the old service list is merely the fodder for craven cold calls.

On the other hand, we've never owned a Ferrari newer than 1968 and likely never will, and any old Ferrari we have, or will ever have, will go thru Classiche over my dead body. So a Ferrari dealer should not give a crap about what I think. I am an open-minded guy and it is possible that I have completely mis-judged the new FoW ownership - I'm ready to be disabused of my current opinion.
+1000

Redding and Mary Curtis were tops and made FoW pleasant, but there was little they could do about substandard mechanical work when two of their star technicians left. That was the beginning of the demise of FoW.

While I cannot afford the vintage Ferrari's, I can say that your assessment, based on my initial meeting with father and son FoW owners, is eactly the same. Nice fellas, but not the entusiasts that Allie and his partners were.

It doesn't matter if you vintage or modern Ferraris. No attempt to embrace the enthusisasts, rectify ills of the past, just plain cold calling using FoW owners database. Yeah, right. Take my wallet and empty it fellas.

I took a buddy, with cash in hand to test drive a 360 at the new FoW. We made an appt the day before. We drive ~90 miles roundtrip, only to be told: (1) the car has a dead battery and (2) they could not locate the owner to approve a test drive.

It took 45 minutes BEFORE a salesman would even talk to us. My buddy is in early 30s, has owned a Ferrari in the past and could easily afford a 430 - cash payment. Of course, he walked in waering jeans, but we showed up in my 360. Didn't matter, they blew us off completely.

They lost a sale and certainly any of my future business as well.

As for the Ferrari trinkets, I'll buy on-line elsewhere and have them shipped to my home.

I'd put them on life support and start a deathwatch. Mr. Bayer is entitled to his comments based on his own experiences, but there is some bad history there, past and present. Just ask around.

Your dad was a gentleman to walk away and not fuss.
post #10 of 27 Old 12-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Owner

agree completely

P.S., I brought up Bayer only for attributing the adage about posting in general - he know nothing of this current debate/thread other than to say that I am quite sure he agrees w/ us.
post #11 of 27 Old 12-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Owner

The mantra at FOW is EXACTLY the same as it was when ASC owned the franschise...... Hmmmm. I know from conversations with others that the current owner sort of cut his teeth as an employee at ASC... so why would it be any surprise at all that the behaviors and attitudes displayed in this current configuration would be any different? Perhaps history will repeat itself the way it did when a disenchanted Allie Ash and his partners bought the franchise away from ASC. We can hope.

As for mike's views... lets just say I agree to disagree. It's the wonderful about this country, site and this thread. Freedom of speech isn't designed to protect the things you want to hear. Its designed to protect the things you don't.

Last edited by barcheta; 12-09-2009 at 01:20 PM.
post #12 of 27 Old 12-10-2009, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Heard a similar story recently about a new car purchase. Algar was happy. Must be nice to not need the business like that other chat site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 Modena View Post
+1000

I took a buddy, with cash in hand to test drive a 360 at the new FoW. We made an appt the day before. We drive ~90 miles roundtrip, only to be told: (1) the car has a dead battery and (2) they could not locate the owner to approve a test drive.

It took 45 minutes BEFORE a salesman would even talk to us. My buddy is in early 30s, has owned a Ferrari in the past and could easily afford a 430 - cash payment. Of course, he walked in waering jeans, but we showed up in my 360. Didn't matter, they blew us off completely.

They lost a sale and certainly any of my future business as well.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #13 of 27 Old 12-10-2009, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanp View Post
"If it feels good, then you probably shouldn't post it." Well, this will feel good, mostly because I am pretty defensive about my old man.
well. i have figured out my problem because i was laughing my ass off everytime i posted on that other site. still do here.

I have my own saying "the truth shall set you free, the BS, backstabbing, high school games and dick licking will eventually leave you wondering who your real friends are ".

post #14 of 27 Old 12-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Quote:
dick licking will eventually leave you wondering who your real friends are.

If you're not sure...better make sure your shots are current. I certainly know exactly where my yogurt dispenser has been. Oh...and when you wash it...make sure you get behind the ears.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #15 of 27 Old 12-10-2009, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

post #16 of 27 Old 12-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,154
Quote:
man, i left myself open for that one. touche!
just that "one", what about the other "one" douche
post #17 of 27 Old 12-13-2009, 06:03 AM
wch
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 23
They held a party this past week, sponsored (?) by a couple area businesses. Anyone here attend?

I simply don't understand their business plan ... sell cars as status accessories? Not going to work with much of FoW's old clientele. Have heard several stories - in addition to those in this thread - but all having the same theme.

Haven't heard those letters uttered in weeks? Maybe because there's no there there?
post #18 of 27 Old 12-13-2009, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

post #19 of 27 Old 12-13-2009, 09:18 AM
Owner

Neither Dad nor I received invites.

New ownership was at the FCA/MAR Christmas party yesterday. They are apparently planning an event of some type w/ FCA/MAR in the spring.
post #20 of 27 Old 12-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
Quote:
I didn't get an invite.

Duh!

They go backwards and Competizione goes forward!! To think in a few short years and they have to expand!!!

Robert

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode