Need input from Ferrari owners.Please help. - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 08-15-2011, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
Need input from Ferrari owners.Please help.

Hello everybody. I am wanting to get into servicing and eventually maintenance and mod of exotic cars.

I was wondering if Ferrari owners would trust someone with a highly mechanical background to service their cars?

I am a FAA licensed aircraft mechanic. I have experience working on F-16s, AH-64s(Apache helicopters) and other aircraft.

I would buy the manuals, correct parts and tools to do the job right.

I have a passion for these cars and I want to work on them but at the same time work for myself so I could eventually own one.

What do you think?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-15-2011, 01:19 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
I think you should try working for a dealer or independent first. Are you planning on opening a shop or doing it on the side? To answer your question, i don't know anyone that would feel comfortable handing their ferrari over to someone who is inexperienced with these cars. But, i'm sure they are out there...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 14 Old 08-15-2011, 04:29 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,197
Shoot, I have problems with some of the qualified ones.

echo wet's comments: Get with a dealer, and you may have to work your way up [pay dues yet again] with a lower end dealer. Porsche is a nice start...lots of them out there, and many similarities...

sorry, but no short cuts unless you know someone in the biz directly...hate to say it, but you had some of the best instruction and the drill on the outside [if you will] is much worse.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

post #4 of 14 Old 08-15-2011, 04:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,323
I've been working on cars since I was eleven years old, and professionally restoring them for twenty years now. I still don't trust myself to work on my own Ferrari.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-15-2011, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

My ultimate goal is to own a shop but In the beginning I want to do the simple stuff like oil changes, fluid flushes, changing brakes etc.

I was thinking a mobile service where I go to peoples houses to work on the cars.

I am a very good mechanic and I always double and triple check my work. In my line of work if we forget to do something, tighten down a bolt or improperly rig a component people could die.

Knowing the responsibility that I've had placed in my hands would that help gain your trust?

Not to mention the aircraft I have worked on cost $25-$45 million some used and some new.

I wouldn't do any of the work no matter how small without a manual and the right tools.

Just to give you idea of my experience in aviation:
Removed, Replaced and tested:
Engines,Transmissions, Rotor Heads, Blades, Hydraulic Pumps, Hydraulic Actuators, Hydraulic Reservoirs, Brakes, Flight Controls, Fuel Cells, Fuel Probes, Fuel Pumps etc.

Would you trust me to do an oil change or minor work with a manual?
post #6 of 14 Old 08-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelramirez View Post
Would you trust me to do an oil change or minor work with a manual?
On my 2002 Cadillac? Absolutely

On my Ferrari? Not without experience and solid recommendations.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-15-2011, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

BTW I also owned a 2004 Jaguar which I bought the manual for and replaced:

Both front Air shocks
Thermostat Housing
A/C Blower Motor Control Module
Throttle Body
Brakes

and all kinds of other stuff on my crappy little Honda.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,200
Miguel, no one is questioning your mechanical skills, it's just your CV isn't there (yet) for working on exotic cars, regardless how many turbine engines from helicopters you've overhauled.

As others have said, get some experience with a dealer, or a race team, or even an independent exotic shop, and once you've built up your CV, and your reputation the business will come.....

I see very qualified vets trying to break into oilfield work all the time, and they all seem to have this notion that their 6 years of military experience gives them the same level of qualifications as a guy who has been doing the oilfield job for 6 years. Not true at all.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #9 of 14 Old 08-15-2011, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys I appreciate all the comments and advice!

I talked to the Ferrari dealership a while back and I was told that the dealerships in my area are owned by Rodger Penske and he also owns a automotive technical school and that's where they get their mechanics. I don't think school is something I want to do since I have the technical part down already, I just need the experience. So I will have to look for an independent shop.

I would work on these car for free just to be around them and learn them inside and out.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-16-2011, 12:08 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,200
Since you're posting in the Southwest subforum, I assume you're probably in that area?

Mind posting a little more info about yourself and which major cities are near you?

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #11 of 14 Old 08-16-2011, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Sure, I'm in the Phoenix AZ area. I am originally from NYC, joined the Air Force in 2002 and was stationed here. I worked at MD Helicopters for a couple years, now I work for Boeing repairing the Army's Apaches.

I love exotic cars, aviation and music but I know that in order to have the type of success I want I have to work for my self.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,197
Just a quick story: I know an Italian born, Ferrari Factory trained mechanic, here in the bay area who for years worked at Ferrari of San Francisco. We had some good times and his deam was to be a pit mech for a race team, which, he finally became after years. I know a race team selects their mechs not only on skill but personality to get along with the team dynamics, but he had many of those qualities, for the right team.

It takes time. and as said CV even for the better trained. THIS IS NOT a discouragement, just some possibly facts to consider.

PHX AZ has a few if not many places to get some of that. I wouldn't be surprised if you did some door knocking there and found some opportunities. My step son is also a helo mech for the Marines, and I know the kind of schooling and training they got. You CAN translate that into the private market: but you'll need to knock on many doors.

keep posting, reading here, and there, and you will, I expect, get there....

time is relative and shouldn't be the issue.

OF course the other route is buy a really less expensive Ferrari and work on it.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #13 of 14 Old 11-11-2011, 04:56 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
I would trust you but if I had any problems afterwards I would demand a refund and a reimbursement for having to go through the whole process again.
post #14 of 14 Old 04-16-2013, 08:32 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 31
I as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
I've been working on cars since I was eleven years old, and professionally restoring them for twenty years now. I still don't trust myself to work on my own Ferrari.
As well as working on cars since 12 or 13, working with corvettes, owned 14 of them, aircraft mechanic, crew chief on trans am vet, harley shop owner and to tell you the truth....................am terrified to even attempt touching with a wrench, my red headed girl friend..........Something about a Ferrari that makes grown men cower..
Some things I will do but I prefer to let authorized shops do the fondeling.
I find myself just to intimidated by screwing something up and having to face the "authority" and fess up, much less pay the BILL...
wheels, tits, or a prop, it's gonna cost ya chief

So, my answer to you is NO!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode