2015 STL Area Spotters Thread - Page 19 - Ferrari Life
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #361 of 376 Old 12-15-2015, 07:48 AM
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollsorferrari? View Post
Gotcha. Truth be told the Bentayga looks like the VW Taureg, just with nicer wood and nicer leather. Might as well save $150K and get the VW if you're in the market.
That's funny.

Bentley will make a Supersport Edition then who knows the Bentley SS Convert I had was a great car just felt old - wait I am old!

The Lambo SUV will be coming out soon - then I can be old and cheesy
champagne612 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 376 Old 12-15-2015, 07:54 AM
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,021
There are so many good track cars - if Gateway would tidy up their track I would be up there every weekend.
champagne612 is offline  
post #363 of 376 Old 12-15-2015, 02:46 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKniep View Post
I started tracking with a Honda S2000, moved up to a 911 Turbo, and now track the GT3 and the E30s. I think it is a little crazy to start with a high horsepower car. Modern Viper ACRs are amazing to chase on track, but the early stuff (as has been said previously) is not for beginners. 400bhp+ means 135-140 at the end of Gateway's main straight. When the car gets a little loose coming off the banking, that's a lot of speed to keep under control with concrete walls nearby.

Miata, E30 are great entry points, but not real sexy. I'd think about an e46 M3. It's a very transparent car, great to learn on, fast enough to really entertain and there are lots of parts and support for tracking.

Learning on a car with electronic nannies, and great balance is the best way to start on track.

I love the E46 M3. In my first perusal everything has been SMG, though--even when I filter for manuals only! The other car I'm looking at is a PCA member owned boxster s with ims/rms upgrade already done. miles are bit high at about 100k.
sumbaco is offline  
 
post #364 of 376 Old 12-15-2015, 03:25 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
That's funny.

Bentley will make a Supersport Edition then who knows the Bentley SS Convert I had was a great car just felt old - wait I am old!

The Lambo SUV will be coming out soon - then I can be old and cheesy
I still think the continental is a beautiful car. The suv is for the soccer mom picking up their kids from chaminade or Burroughs - for when the escalate just doesn't quite work. I would like to meet the soccer mom though I wonder if Bentley actually expects anyone to take it off road?

Unrelated note - I drove by the place at lunch today, nice to see dirt being moved around. The Post had an article about it a few days back, I'll be honest it sounds like they're doing better than I expected as far as selling garages goes.
rollsorferrari? is offline  
post #365 of 376 Old 12-16-2015, 01:02 PM
 
Snake Plissken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 470
[QUOTE=champagne612;675474


CGT was not mine it was being traded for a stunning Aventador Pirelli Edition which possibly leaves mine as the only CGT left in town [/QUOTE]

He traded his CGT for a Lamborghini??

Porsche owner, aka "fat cab"
Snake Plissken is offline  
post #366 of 376 Old 12-17-2015, 04:48 AM
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
He traded his CGT for a Lamborghini??
Yes.

Pirelli Edition is gorgeous and extremely hard to get.
champagne612 is offline  
post #367 of 376 Old 12-17-2015, 10:57 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 42
I have a question for Chas, if he's still on the board. Hopefully the question isn't too painful. What engine oil were you using when the 996 engine let-go on track?

Thanks
sumbaco is offline  
post #368 of 376 Old 12-18-2015, 05:51 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,393
So what's the over / under that last night was it for the Rams in STL? Flipping back and forth from the Blues to the Rams game, it looked like the dome was more crowded than usual but still a lot of empty seats. Plus now we're getting conflicting reports - one says the Raiders and Chargers have LA locked up keeping the Rams here, another says the $100MM the league "promised" to bridge the funding gap isn't actually coming to fruition, meaning the NFL wants the Rams in LA. The only thing we know for sure is Kranky still has a god awful toupee.
rollsorferrari? is offline  
post #369 of 376 Old 12-18-2015, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
 
GuyIncognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumbaco View Post
I have a question for Chas, if he's still on the board. Hopefully the question isn't too painful. What engine oil were you using when the 996 engine let-go on track?

Thanks
I was using 0w-40 Mobil 1 (the factory recommended fill). some guys use 5w or 10w 40, didn't hear of anyone using anything thicker (50 weight etc) but you could go with a more racing-oriented oil (Motul, Royal Purple, etc) in 10w-40.

The oil I was using was "approved" by a professional Porsche racing mechanic who knew these cars pretty well, so don't get too wrapped around the axle about what you're using, just change it regularly (I changed it after every weekend, so probably every 300-400 miles) and inspect the filter when you do so.

btw, my engine didn't suffer an IMS failure, at least not directly. I had previously replaced the IMS as a maintenance item. what failed was the rod bearing on the #1 cylinder. it's possible that could have been a second order failure from an IMS problem but not necessarily.

also at the time of failure the car/engine had nearly 20k track miles and 70k total miles on it, and had been used pretty hard with R-comps/slicks. one theory is that the engine failed due to repeated oil starvation in high g corners.

if you go with anything with an M96 engine...3.4 or 3.6, 996/997/Boxster/Cayman, do the following:

-IMS replacement
-RMS replacement
-motorsport AOS upgrade
-X51 oil pan upgrade (not sure if these fit Boxster/Cayman)
-Accusump or some other assist for oil pumping under heavy load. I did not do this and probably should have. might have saved the motor.

doing the above is ~$8-10k with labor (motor has to be pulled). new motor is $15-20k depending on core reimbursement etc. so it's an expensive proposition either way. don't be fooled by sub $20k 911s or nearly $10k Boxsters, they'll still cost you a fortune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollsorferrari? View Post
Chas, you sir, are a genius.

Last edited by GuyIncognito; 12-18-2015 at 06:30 AM.
GuyIncognito is offline  
post #370 of 376 Old 12-18-2015, 09:11 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 42
Thanks Chas, for your generous input.

I was reading something by Jake Raby. He thought that a lot of the oil starvation issues were actually problems with overheating the oil, and that's why rod bolts/bearings would usually die at the end of a session and not the beginning.

It's at the end of the page here: Pre-failure Directives

I figure I can get a car with several of the mods already done.

And, as I'm just starting and not competitive, I can short shift before 7000 to ease the forces on rod end bolts, use a good racing oil, watch the oil temp, and if it still goes boom, kick the car to the curb and start with another one.
sumbaco is offline  
post #371 of 376 Old 12-18-2015, 09:15 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 42
I could also just start with a Raby Porsche. It's just a shame that the wait is a year and a half. He said he can find broken cars to put an engine in. We didn't talk price, but I know his engines are like 22k. A broken 911 has to be only 10-12k. I'm not sure I want a 35k 996 C2 Porsche. For 35k I can get a Cayman with the DFI motor!
sumbaco is offline  
post #372 of 376 Old 12-18-2015, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
 
GuyIncognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumbaco View Post
Thanks Chas, for your generous input.

I was reading something by Jake Raby. He thought that a lot of the oil starvation issues were actually problems with overheating the oil, and that's why rod bolts/bearings would usually die at the end of a session and not the beginning.

It's at the end of the page here: Pre-failure Directives

I figure I can get a car with several of the mods already done.

And, as I'm just starting and not competitive, I can short shift before 7000 to ease the forces on rod end bolts, use a good racing oil, watch the oil temp, and if it still goes boom, kick the car to the curb and start with another one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumbaco View Post
I could also just start with a Raby Porsche. It's just a shame that the wait is a year and a half. He said he can find broken cars to put an engine in. We didn't talk price, but I know his engines are like 22k. A broken 911 has to be only 10-12k. I'm not sure I want a 35k 996 C2 Porsche. For 35k I can get a Cayman with the DFI motor!
Raby does great work but it's cost prohibitive IMO, and since 996s with an M96 will probably never be particularly valuable I don't see a time when the cost will be justified on economic terms. I think your thesis is correct, buy a car that already has some mods/upgrades and take your chances. that's what I did, and didn't pour more money into it once it went kablammo.

as far as the oil temp, the M96 holds 9 quarts of oil and an oil cooler (well, heat exchanger with coolant) so I think getting dangerously high oil temperatures (generally 300+ degrees with synthetics) would be fairly difficult without some major problem causing that (oil pump failure etc). You could also do an auxiliary oil cooler in the front bumper if you wanted. But I think oil starvation and known mechanical design problems are far more likely to bite you in the ass than overheated oil. in my case, the engine let go about 10 minutes into the first session of the day (ambient temp ~80 degrees) so I don't think the oil temp issue was my problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollsorferrari? View Post
Chas, you sir, are a genius.
GuyIncognito is offline  
post #373 of 376 Old 12-22-2015, 10:18 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Ferrari Life Posts: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
What about a Viper - thinking about ordering one.
Doug, if you have't seen this, it is definitely worth the read. CJ Wilson (pitcher for the Angels / car collector and racer) picked up a new Viper ACR and put on the aero pack and swears by it. I've seen his P1 and several of his other cars, so putting the Viper up near the top of his favorite cars is pretty substantial.

OT: My full Review of the 2016 Viper ACR - Rennlist Discussion Forums
a7xbass94 is offline  
post #374 of 376 Old 12-23-2015, 05:21 AM
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by a7xbass94 View Post
Doug, if you have't seen this, it is definitely worth the read. CJ Wilson (pitcher for the Angels / car collector and racer) picked up a new Viper ACR and put on the aero pack and swears by it. I've seen his P1 and several of his other cars, so putting the Viper up near the top of his favorite cars is pretty substantial.

OT: My full Review of the 2016 Viper ACR - Rennlist Discussion Forums
Thanks Ryan - read like reviews this is one of the best.

Have toyed with the configurator they all look great.

There is not a car anywhere near it's league but the manual vs paddles.
champagne612 is offline  
post #375 of 376 Old 12-23-2015, 02:12 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,393
Is Dodge still having issues selling the Vipers? Last I heard they cut production way down when nobody bought them, slashing prices on those that were already on showroom floors. I like the design, but I think the styling of the late 90's were a little better. Last I checked they were going in the 30's, not a bad deal if you ask me.
rollsorferrari? is offline  
post #376 of 376 Old 12-27-2015, 04:24 PM
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollsorferrari? View Post
Is Dodge still having issues selling the Vipers? Last I heard they cut production way down when nobody bought them, slashing prices on those that were already on showroom floors. I like the design, but I think the styling of the late 90's were a little better. Last I checked they were going in the 30's, not a bad deal if you ask me.
Yes. Dodge says it closing the line due to airbags but they don't sell many Vipers I have no idea why. The inside is very well done and the outside looks like their racing version.

The SRT Extreme is the fastest track car out there breaking records all over the place it runs right there with the P1 918 all day long.

I have never been in one hoping it's a good feel. They can be ordered in any color any spec if someone is bored http://www.drivesrt.com/viper/

Last edited by champagne612; 12-28-2015 at 06:46 PM.
champagne612 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale