I'm taking the bull by the horn - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 88 Old 06-03-2012, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,393
I'm taking the bull by the horn

Let's start a new annual car show, I'm willing to take the lead on this, as I think STL needs a new, strong show to compliment what's already around town. This will be charitable, something sustainable, that won't be a one time thing.

I'm tired of having only 1 or 2 main shows every year, STL has a large enough car community to make this work. And with the group of guys that we have on here and off the board, I know we can pull this off. Talk time is over, time to act.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 Old 06-03-2012, 08:00 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,340
I think the weekend after Labor Day would be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollsorferrari? View Post
Chas, you sir, are a genius.
post #3 of 88 Old 06-04-2012, 04:20 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,021
Quote:
Let's start a new annual car show, I'm willing to take the lead on this, as I think STL needs a new, strong show to compliment what's already around town. This will be charitable, something sustainable, that won't be a one time thing.

I'm tired of having only 1 or 2 main shows every year, STL has a large enough car community to make this work. And with the group of guys that we have on here and off the board, I know we can pull this off. Talk time is over, time to act.
You need to tie yourself to an existing event - no way can you pull it off otherwise.

Maybe the Koman Cancer Foundation or Life Skills Foundation or the Art Fair in Clayton.

Organizing 500 cars and a venue cost at least 10,000.00

Sorry but my basket is full - next year I would be willing to help.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey

post #4 of 88 Old 06-04-2012, 04:21 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
I think the weekend after Labor Day would be perfect.
Chas by the way Potter who has been very successful is also a Bush and is sponsored by the brewery.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #5 of 88 Old 06-04-2012, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
You need to tie yourself to an existing event - no way can you pull it off otherwise.

Maybe the Koman Cancer Foundation or Life Skills Foundation or the Art Fair in Clayton.

Organizing 500 cars and a venue cost at least 10,000.00

Sorry but my basket is full - next year I would be willing to help.
I had thought of Komen, the Boy Scouts, the MDA...9/10 places will donate an area for the show, biggest expense would be advertising.
post #6 of 88 Old 06-04-2012, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

The way I see it, here are the groups you need to go after in order to put on a successful show:

Car clubs

FCA
STL Sports Car Club
Classic Car Club
STALLS
Horseless Carriage Club

Dealers

STLM
Emm
Hyman
Schmitts
Fast lane
Gateway classic cars
Stl car museum

Collectors

JW
SB
Kemp
Can't remember his name, but he lives in Branson

You manage to get these three groups together, and you've got yourself a show. Any thoughts?
post #7 of 88 Old 06-04-2012, 06:39 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 719
Quote:
I had thought of Komen, the Boy Scouts, the MDA...9/10 places will donate an area for the show, biggest expense would be advertising.
Ronald McDonald House - tie in with the FCA's One Lap visit to St. Louis in 2013.

Jeff
post #8 of 88 Old 06-04-2012, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kennedy View Post
Ronald McDonald House - tie in with the FCA's One Lap visit to St. Louis in 2013.

Jeff
Good idea as well. There is nothing that says you can't split proceeds between charities, as they all will gladly accept checks for any amount, but there is something to be said about having one main cause.

The way I see it, there are a number of groups and dealers that want to increase good will in the community, which I think will go a long way to reviving the car community in stl.
post #9 of 88 Old 06-04-2012, 10:00 AM

what about teaming up with the Rams or Blues charity? start of their season (assuming you're going for mid September), and would have an automatic PR channel established for you. plus, you're a sports guy.

I like the FCA One Lap idea but I assume they won't be using the same route every year, so that might be a one time opportunity.

Quote:
post #10 of 88 Old 06-04-2012, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
what about teaming up with the Rams or Blues charity? start of their season (assuming you're going for mid September), and would have an automatic PR channel established for you. plus, you're a sports guy.

I like the FCA One Lap idea but I assume they won't be using the same route every year, so that might be a one time opportunity.
The blues/rams idea is an interesting one, interesting enough that I might send out a feeler letter. But, I've got a feeling they'd want to do it their way, I want something that would be done year in and year out without having to put up with a bunch of bs.
post #11 of 88 Old 06-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Owner

The One Lap starts at Concorso Italiano this summer and then runs to the 2013 Annual Meet at Elkhart Lake. 62 stops. A one-time year long event.

Jeff
post #12 of 88 Old 06-04-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
The blues/rams idea is an interesting one, interesting enough that I might send out a feeler letter. But, I've got a feeling they'd want to do it their way, I want something that would be done year in and year out without having to put up with a bunch of bs.
ha! good luck with that. ask Dan H. or Greg W. about running the Shriner's show; it's a BS festival. sadly that's just the way it is when a bunch of guys get together to organize anything; it becomes an ego-driven pissing contest.

that said I think you should at least give a call to the Rams or Blues. can't hurt to be told no

Quote:
post #13 of 88 Old 06-04-2012, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
ha! good luck with that. ask Dan H. or Greg W. about running the Shriner's show; it's a BS festival. sadly that's just the way it is when a bunch of guys get together to organize anything; it becomes an ego-driven pissing contest.

that said I think you should at least give a call to the Rams or Blues. can't hurt to be told no
Ego driven pissing contest? Right up my alley then,

I'll give them a call, may be able to wrestle some free tix out of the deal, so can't hurt, unless I get tickets to a Rams game, in which case that's 3 hours of torture.
post #14 of 88 Old 06-04-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Ego driven pissing contest? Right up my alley then,

I'll give them a call, may be able to wrestle some free tix out of the deal, so can't hurt, unless I get tickets to a Rams game, in which case that's 3 hours of torture.
maybe the Rams could donate some tickets, grand prize tickets to 1 game, second prize tickets to 2 games, etc

Quote:
post #15 of 88 Old 06-04-2012, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
maybe the Rams could donate some tickets, grand prize tickets to 1 game, second prize tickets to 2 games, etc
Worst in show gets season tickets and an afternoon with Doug and the donkey.

Seriously, other than a trophy, what would be a good idea for prizes? For both best in show and classes?
post #16 of 88 Old 06-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Owner

Quote:
Worst in show gets season tickets and an afternoon with Doug and the donkey.

Seriously, other than a trophy, what would be a good idea for prizes? For both best in show and classes?
Trophy and a swag bag that comes from sponsors/vendors should be sufficient.

Jeff
post #17 of 88 Old 06-04-2012, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kennedy View Post
Trophy and a swag bag that comes from sponsors/vendors should be sufficient.

Jeff
Kind of the answer I was expecting. Nothing wrong with it, just wasn't sure if anyone has seen anything interesting or out of the ordinary when it came to awards or thank you gifts.

Tomorrow I will be sending a letter to Cardinals Care, the Blues' 14 Fund, and to the Rams (I don't think they have a specific charity) in order to see if there is any interest from these three. I think getting the backing of one of these groups will go a long way to making this a reality, as there is instant name recognition.

I am pretty dead set on getting this going, so if anyone has any thoughts or ideas, or want to watch the donkey for me while I get the ball rolling, let me know!
post #18 of 88 Old 06-04-2012, 07:01 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 100
Aligning with one of the teams is a great idea. The Redskins put on a car show each year which always has a massive turnout (the Redskins are obviously a huge draw, much like the Cardinals would be). The players and owners bring their cars, the cheerleaders are there, autographs are signed, memorabilia is auctioned, etc. The show is put on at the Redskins practice facility, so that solves your location if you were to do something with the Blues and Rams.
Obviously you can't demand too much for the team, but prizes could include experiences (I mean, they already throw out 15 first pitches at a game, what's one more for a winner or runner up).
post #19 of 88 Old 06-04-2012, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsports1 View Post
Aligning with one of the teams is a great idea. The Redskins put on a car show each year which always has a massive turnout (the Redskins are obviously a huge draw, much like the Cardinals would be). The players and owners bring their cars, the cheerleaders are there, autographs are signed, memorabilia is auctioned, etc. The show is put on at the Redskins practice facility, so that solves your location if you were to do something with the Blues and Rams.
Obviously you can't demand too much for the team, but prizes could include experiences (I mean, they already throw out 15 first pitches at a game, what's one more for a winner or runner up).
You pretty much hit the nail on the head for why I like the team idea, but, the catch 22 is that they have people on staff whose job it is to put events like this on. My thoughts are I want this to be my baby, and try to avoid the pissing matches that too often go along with events like this. What gets lost too often in these things is the fact that this is for charity, this isn't about who did what and how much.
post #20 of 88 Old 06-04-2012, 07:13 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 100
Quote:
You pretty much hit the nail on the head for why I like the team idea, but, the catch 22 is that they have people on staff whose job it is to put events like this on. My thoughts are I want this to be my baby, and try to avoid the pissing matches that too often go along with events like this. What gets lost too often in these things is the fact that this is for charity, this isn't about who did what and how much.
Understood completely. At the very least you could try for appearances by members of the teams. Have their name on the advertisement and you could bring in some more people for sure. Now with your idea of the weekend after labor day, you pretty much count the Cardinals out unless somehow there's a random weekend home off day. The NFL season starts in September, so that may be tough coordinating with them as well. The first NHL games are in mid September, so that might end up being tough to work out with their schedules.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode