I'm taking the bull by the horn - Page 2 - Ferrari Life
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 88 Old 06-04-2012, 11:01 PM
 
GuyIncognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,340
mmmm Rams Cheerleaders arghhhh........

Attached Images
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollsorferrari? View Post
Chas, you sir, are a genius.
GuyIncognito is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 88 Old 06-05-2012, 03:50 AM
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Scott

Here are my suggestions - slow down on the show and take it one step at a time.

First - attend every car show and hand out a business card to start a database of the top show cars and their owners.

Host a meeting for all the car club Presidents - allowing them to be a part of what you are thinking.

Personally go meet with every local dealer / detail shop and Greg the owner of Designs In Motion who could add value to the show.

Begin a newsletter along with a fb and twitter page.

STL C&C has over 150 members and the Starbucks Rock Hill event has an impressive turn out.

In business every one is protective of their customer base which is why you need to build your own database.

At the end of the day what you are set on doing will be perceived as encroaching - which will be the hardest part of the journey.
champagne612 is offline  
post #23 of 88 Old 06-05-2012, 03:57 AM
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
mmmm Rams Cheerleaders arghhhh........

Cheerleaders and football go together like peanut butter and jam.

champagne612 is offline  
 
post #24 of 88 Old 06-05-2012, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
Scott

Here are my suggestions - slow down on the show and take it one step at a time.

First - attend every car show and hand out a business card to start a database of the top show cars and their owners.

Host a meeting for all the car club Presidents - allowing them to be a part of what you are thinking.

Personally go meet with every local dealer / detail shop and Greg the owner of Designs In Motion who could add value to the show.

Begin a newsletter along with a fb and twitter page.

STL C&C has over 150 members and the Starbucks Rock Hill event has an impressive turn out.

In business every one is protective of their customer base which is why you need to build your own database.

At the end of the day what you are set on doing will be perceived as encroaching - which will be the hardest part of the journey.
Good ideas. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that when you do a post like this, everyone ought to listen.

I had thought of meeting with the dealers around town, start building a relationship with them. IMO, you can't pull a show off without help from an established dealer or someone who is considered a leader in the community.

I know some of the more interesting cars around town and their owners, but as far as your run of the mill Ferraris and lambos that are kept in the garage, that's where it gets tough.

Right now, with the current show line up, you have your "concourses" that are generally your shows at Kemp, you're European, which is what we just had this weekend, a classic show - which is done at the Easter car show, and your C&C's which bring out the guys that consistently drive their cars around town. I want to see a show that's a good mix. I don't want to limit the number or kinds of cars that show up, but for instance, I don't think I would want X5's being shown.
rollsorferrari? is offline  
post #25 of 88 Old 06-05-2012, 10:23 AM
 
GuyIncognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollsorferrari? View Post
Good ideas. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that when you do a post like this, everyone ought to listen.

I had thought of meeting with the dealers around town, start building a relationship with them. IMO, you can't pull a show off without help from an established dealer or someone who is considered a leader in the community.

I know some of the more interesting cars around town and their owners, but as far as your run of the mill Ferraris and lambos that are kept in the garage, that's where it gets tough.

Right now, with the current show line up, you have your "concourses" that are generally your shows at Kemp, you're European, which is what we just had this weekend, a classic show - which is done at the Easter car show, and your C&C's which bring out the guys that consistently drive their cars around town. I want to see a show that's a good mix. I don't want to limit the number or kinds of cars that show up, but for instance, I don't think I would want X5's being shown.
agreed, Doug is like a drunken Yoda, between the nonsensical hilarity there's always a nugget or two of quality wisdom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollsorferrari? View Post
Chas, you sir, are a genius.
GuyIncognito is offline  
post #26 of 88 Old 06-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
agreed, Doug is like a drunken Yoda, between the nonsensical hilarity there's always a nugget or two of quality wisdom.
LOL ... most people don't get it

Scott you have to ask yourself what the goal is and what your expectations are along the way to measure and achieve a result.

Maybe your first show raises 500.00 and maybe it raises 50,000.00

Regardless everyone included has to feel a part of the team.

You always refer to being a manager for the Cardinals - well here is your chance.

It's not easy to find a lot of guys who believe in you but when you get the guys who do there is no stopping what can be achieved.

Just keep in mind that whatever organization you choose to represent it's close to your heart - passion wins every time!

Most important the more you fail it's a representation of the more you continue trying - nothing wrong with failure accept it and learn from it - she is a bitch but a good friend once said make her your bitch
champagne612 is offline  
post #27 of 88 Old 06-05-2012, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
LOL ... most people don't get it

Scott you have to ask yourself what the goal is and what your expectations are along the way to measure and achieve a result.

Maybe your first show raises 500.00 and maybe it raises 50,000.00

Regardless everyone included has to feel a part of the team.

You always refer to being a manager for the Cardinals - well here is your chance.

It's not easy to find a lot of guys who believe in you but when you get the guys who do there is no stopping what can be achieved.

Just keep in mind that whatever organization you choose to represent it's close to your heart - passion wins every time!

Most important the more you fail it's a representation of the more you continue trying - nothing wrong with failure accept it and learn from it - she is a bitch but a good friend once said make her your bitch
Couldn't help but think of this, you should be a motivational speaker, Miracle - Coach Brooks Addresses Team Pre Game - YouTube

Consider this an official announcement - I am forming an exploratory committee to investigate this further. I have whittled it down to benefiting one of the following:

Boy Scouts of America
Cardinals Care
14 Fund
The United Way

These are four organizations that I have supported in the past, and would like to continue supporting.

I will be exploring where to hold this at, I like Forest Park as a backdrop, but it can get hectic around there, so I'm thinking about something more confined, like maybe the parking lot of the strip mall out in the Valley or one of the other malls lots.

I am shooting for early September as the date for the show - Labor Day keeps creeping into my mind, as that seems to be a date where people may be looking for something to do between the pool and the BBQ.

The categories I would like to see are as follows:

Concourse - the rare cars that I know are tucked away in garages 364 days here in town. I would be tapping into people to recommend who to invite for this class, yes, you read that correctly, this class would be invite only.
Exotic - Ferrari's, Lambo's, Mclaren's, etc.
Luxury - Bentley, Rolls, rare(r) Mercedes and BMW, etc.
Classics - Cars made prior to, let's say 1970
All others - Pretty much anything and everything, but must be some form of collectible car, hence no X5's or E class Mercedes.

I will be contacting STLM and Hyman to begin with, as those two should be excellent resources to tap into in order to get sponsorships and attendance. I'm also going to start looking into the various locations where something like this can be held, I would like to see 1-200 cars the first year.

I'm hopeful to pull this off for this year, but I think that ship may have sailed, as I don't want to do this half-assed (cue donkey references). I want this to be well run, and well attended, which means plenty of planning and sweat equity.

We talked about this before, and it was brought up on Sunday, I want to see this thing through, and make it become a reality. IMO, STL needs and deserves a new high quality show.
rollsorferrari? is offline  
post #28 of 88 Old 06-06-2012, 05:40 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 42
Great thread. Inspirational.

I was thinking about how you could differentiate your show without having to rely on getting the rarest cars St. Louis has to offer. Essentially, the thing I find missing from car shows is sound. When I was at a Kemp show a couple of years ago, the most exciting thing I remember was getting to hear the Gullwing drive around. If you had a show that had a the cars moving periodically so kids could hear them, you might stimulate some interest. Have a coned off "carousel" for the cars to drive around at scheduled times. Want to hear the f40? The 355 with tubis? dougs scuderia? no prob. Or, maybe the simpler option would be to make an event of the cars arriving and leaving. Print a schedule so people don't miss their favorites.
sumbaco is offline  
post #29 of 88 Old 06-06-2012, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,393
Anyone have any good names to call this? I've thought of the STL collector car show, but that just doesn't do it for me. Any suggestions? I plan on using this thread to also show what does and doesn't work when planning am event, I'm giving some thoughts to posting this thread in a more public area of the site, to allow for more participation.
rollsorferrari? is offline  
post #30 of 88 Old 06-06-2012, 06:48 AM
Owner
 
Jeff Kennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Edwardsville, IL
Ferrari Life Posts: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumbaco View Post
Great thread. Inspirational.

I was thinking about how you could differentiate your show without having to rely on getting the rarest cars St. Louis has to offer. Essentially, the thing I find missing from car shows is sound. When I was at a Kemp show a couple of years ago, the most exciting thing I remember was getting to hear the Gullwing drive around. If you had a show that had a the cars moving periodically so kids could hear them, you might stimulate some interest. Have a coned off "carousel" for the cars to drive around at scheduled times. Want to hear the f40? The 355 with tubis? dougs scuderia? no prob. Or, maybe the simpler option would be to make an event of the cars arriving and leaving. Print a schedule so people don't miss their favorites.
For the big events like Pebble there is major interest in being around way early in the morning when the cars are being driven to their spots. For the awards the cars have to drive to the presentation stand. The drive also ensures that the fresh restoration also is a functional car. Also from Pebble look at how they have made the tour a big part of the event. There is extra credit to resolve judging ties for the cars that did the tour.

Jeff
Jeff Kennedy is offline  
post #31 of 88 Old 06-06-2012, 07:43 AM
 
GuyIncognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kennedy View Post
For the big events like Pebble there is major interest in being around way early in the morning when the cars are being driven to their spots. For the awards the cars have to drive to the presentation stand. The drive also ensures that the fresh restoration also is a functional car. Also from Pebble look at how they have made the tour a big part of the event. There is extra credit to resolve judging ties for the cars that did the tour.

Jeff
true. maybe do a "mobile car show" with two locations, starting and ending? STLM and Kemp musuem, for example. register at STLM, then drive to your location at Kemp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollsorferrari? View Post
Chas, you sir, are a genius.
GuyIncognito is offline  
post #32 of 88 Old 06-06-2012, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
true. maybe do a "mobile car show" with two locations, starting and ending? STLM and Kemp musuem, for example. register at STLM, then drive to your location at Kemp.
I REALLY like this idea, but the only way I see it working is to have Chesterfield police close down the road and direct traffic while the cars are moving. With that being said, of we can make it work, that's a great idea.
rollsorferrari? is offline  
post #33 of 88 Old 06-06-2012, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,393
I'm in need of a committee for this. PM me if you're interested in taking part, or know someone that may want to help. This can't be done with one person, this has got to be a team effort to accomplish this.
rollsorferrari? is offline  
post #34 of 88 Old 06-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Owner
Sponsor
 
Jack Russell Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollsorferrari? View Post
I REALLY like this idea, but the only way I see it working is to have Chesterfield police close down the road and direct traffic while the cars are moving. With that being said, of we can make it work, that's a great idea.
I would be wary of this for your initial event. Once cars are moving, on a route you determine, you enter a new world of risks and liability. (Especially when multiple exotics run together. The red mist is a powerful narcotic). Even with police escort, you're on the hook as the event organizer.


Ricambi America: The Ferrari Parts Specialists.
All New, All Original, All Genuine.
Jack Russell Racing is offline  
post #35 of 88 Old 06-06-2012, 03:10 PM
 
GuyIncognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Russell Racing View Post
I would be wary of this for your initial event. Once cars are moving, on a route you determine, you enter a new world of risks and liability. (Especially when multiple exotics run together. The red mist is a powerful narcotic). Even with police escort, you're on the hook as the event organizer.
who invited Buzz Killington?



actually that's a valid point. although umbrella policies for events like this aren't hard to get (or particuarly expensive) if the charity/car show is set up as some form of entity (LLC, 501C3, blah blah)
Attached Images
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollsorferrari? View Post
Chas, you sir, are a genius.
GuyIncognito is offline  
post #36 of 88 Old 06-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Owner
Sponsor
 
Jack Russell Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
who invited Buzz Killington?



actually that's a valid point. although umbrella policies for events like this aren't hard to get (or particuarly expensive) if the charity/car show is set up as some form of entity (LLC, 501C3, blah blah)
even with a policy, there is a 100% chance of being a named defendant if something goes wrong. The same risk occurs with a stationary car show -- but at least you reduce the opportunities for 'problem' by eliminating a drive.

Yours Truly,
Buzz.


Ricambi America: The Ferrari Parts Specialists.
All New, All Original, All Genuine.
Jack Russell Racing is offline  
post #37 of 88 Old 06-06-2012, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,393
Good point Daniel. Chas - I've already started working on a 501C3, need to be covered in case. Insurance will definitely be purchased for the event.
rollsorferrari? is offline  
post #38 of 88 Old 06-06-2012, 03:58 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Ferrari Life Posts: 513
.............I will be at college Labor Day weekend...how can you have a carshow without me taking pics and video?! You could start a 'fly Ryan back to cover the event' fund...
a7xbass94 is offline  
post #39 of 88 Old 06-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollsorferrari? View Post
Good point Daniel. Chas - I've already started working on a 501C3, need to be covered in case. Insurance will definitely be purchased for the event.
Daniel is 100% correcto!

Which is why the Poker Run died for the European Car Show.

At last years European Show ... IIRC Lotus race car did a few laps - very cool but stupid hence they ended it.

There is a word that should be used and referenced repeatedly - KISS ... keep it simple stupid!

Scott all the insurance in the world isn't enough - you will be held personally liable because you now have documented pixie dust that it is a bad idea.

It's a show - leave it at that also if anyone recalls I initiated a standing revvving of the Ferrari engines last year as we were all backed up against the wall - so maybe best sound of show?

Daniel - I am staring at your CF paddles and World Series t-shirt for your son I promise to have it sent tomorrow. ... unless the paddles fit a 16M and if so I am wrapping hundreds in the t-shirt
champagne612 is offline  
post #40 of 88 Old 06-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Owner
Sponsor
 
Jack Russell Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
Daniel - I am staring at your CF paddles and World Series t-shirt for your son I promise to have it sent tomorrow. ... unless the paddles fit a 16M and if so I am wrapping hundreds in the t-shirt
Yikes! I totally forgot about them. I'm pretty sure they won't fit a 16M... but since I already forgot about them, why not pay-it-forward and find a 360/575 owner here on FerrariLife, and give them away? That way, I don't feel so sleazy taking your personally signed Tony LaRussa world series jersey and David Freese game ball.






.


Ricambi America: The Ferrari Parts Specialists.
All New, All Original, All Genuine.
Jack Russell Racing is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale