F355 in St Louis - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 10-24-2011, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 34
F355 in St Louis

Eddie from Houston here.

Looks like I've found "the" car in your town at Exotic Motors Midwest; a 1996 F355 spider Rossa/Tan.

It looks to be in nice shape and turned up a pretty good PPI.

IF...anyone wanted to stop by and look at the car and shoot me some feedback...that would be cool.

The guys I've worked with, Paul and Danny have been quite helpful and I get a good sense with them.

I believe it's the only 355 they have in at the moment so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Anyway, if you're like me, any excuse to stop by the Exotic shop is a good one.

Thanks!

Eddie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-24-2011, 02:35 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,852
Eddie- From the ad, looks like a nice, untampered with car. If you are really serious, make sure you put down a deposit so nobody buys it out from under you. Not a 100% guarantee, but it helps.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 22 Old 10-24-2011, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thank you and good advise.

I've already signed papers and sent a deposit.

Eddie

post #4 of 22 Old 10-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxEddie1111 View Post
Thank you and good advise.

I've already signed papers and sent a deposit.

Eddie
I will go by - come on in and watch the World Series then drive her back

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #5 of 22 Old 10-24-2011, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
I will go by - come on in and watch the World Series then drive her back
Thanks!

Ballgame and drive....not a bad idea!
post #6 of 22 Old 10-24-2011, 06:19 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,340
Eddie, were you able to find anything out about this car? IIRC, it was a Mid-Atlantic car for the most part (DC/VA). lots of guys from that area on the board.

anyway, congrats on the buy....great looking car. and I agree, fly to STL and drive that beast home!
post #7 of 22 Old 10-25-2011, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
Eddie, were you able to find anything out about this car? IIRC, it was a Mid-Atlantic car for the most part (DC/VA). lots of guys from that area on the board.

anyway, congrats on the buy....great looking car. and I agree, fly to STL and drive that beast home!
I did. I spoke with FoW yesterday and they said the car has had every service there, since new. Apparently, it was even bought from that dealership; cool! I'm trying to sweet-talk them into sending copies to me...seems we might be up against privacy rules or something...(need to find his price!)

He said it has had every service required and seems to have been well cared for.

However.....there is no record of valve guide replacements or manifold replacements... "always been within Ferrari specs".

Good and bad I suppose. Well, the PPI did show reasonable numbers with cylinder #2 (of course) the "weakest".

My plan, get the car and if ever (hopefully at least a year down the road for my own sanity) it needs pulling and addressing, I'll just do it; go into the motor and replace whatever is necessary, new headers, etc, etc, etc. My "end in mind"...a great example of a trustworthy F355.

I've had many Porsches, BMW's and a Maserati GranSport (which was perfectly reliable; even with an F1)...the problem simple is, I've never had a .....FERRARI. And that...is just not acceptable! I think I am addicted! I even went to Ferrari World in Abu Dhabi a few months back. Wow, you should-a seen the cars...(thats what finally pushed me right off the cliff...

I'll keep us all posted.

Eddie
post #8 of 22 Old 10-25-2011, 04:41 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,191
Eddie, I bought my 550 from FoW, and it also had been bought new, resold to a 2nd owner, and serviced there its entire life, but it was like pulling teeth to get them to turn loose any previous records. Finally I made it a condition of the sale, and the sales guy had to stand at a copier and put yellow stickies over all the PO's personal info as he was making copies.

But having those previous service records are gold in my book. Having the history of the car and knowing what was done to it (at least at that dealer), certain of its little quirks are understandable, and I can be on the lookout for "repeat offenders". They were well worth the angst I had to go through obtaining them.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #9 of 22 Old 10-25-2011, 05:08 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,317
The two previous owners had my Spider serviced at FoW. I asked FoW for copies of the service records. Of course, I had a copy of my registration and asked them to redact the owners information up front. They didn't bat an eye and did it on the spot. They even let me test drive a Quatroporte while I waited.

I think the key was proving I was the owner and asking them to omit the owner's info. I'm sure that put them at ease.

Either that or the fact I told them I was Wetpet's cousin....
post #10 of 22 Old 10-25-2011, 07:28 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 150
Eddie,
I did the exact opposite. Bought a 355 Spider in Texas and drove it home. If you get up here before the weather gets nasty, drive back down through the OZark foothills and Ozark national forest. BEst roads in the country.
I drove the Crescent Classic Rally down there and it was utterly brilliant.

Just be prepared for all the silly stuff that goes wrong with a 355. You WILL have check engine lights and slow down lights. The top will need adjustment, the headers will fail. The Valve Guide issue is over hyped (like IMS on 996 Posrches) but does occur often.

On one trip of 20 miles, I had a check engine light, slow down light, and the fuse blew that lights the dash at night. My father, riding in the car, turns to me and says "Son, this is a reall pretty, really noisy, really expensive piece of s--t."

Despite all this, I absolutely love the thing. Find a tunnel, open it up.
Bill
post #11 of 22 Old 10-25-2011, 08:10 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Eddie- I would not worry too much about the valve guides. There seems to have been good batches and bad batches of the bronze guides Ferrari bought from the lowest price distributors. We see the same thing in 456s, some fail and some never have the problem. Since this car already has 35,000 miles, odds are you are in pretty good shape and the guides will cause no problems.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #12 of 22 Old 10-25-2011, 08:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 719
Eddie,

When you coming up to get the car? Maybe there should be a gathering to watch the game somewhere with the local folks here. You and Miriam can sit together and cheer for the Rangers. [Miriam is from Stephenville and was at the opening game for the stadium]

Jeff
post #13 of 22 Old 10-25-2011, 12:38 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKniep View Post
Eddie,
I did the exact opposite. Bought a 355 Spider in Texas and drove it home. If you get up here before the weather gets nasty, drive back down through the OZark foothills and Ozark national forest. BEst roads in the country.
I drove the Crescent Classic Rally down there and it was utterly brilliant.

Just be prepared for all the silly stuff that goes wrong with a 355. You WILL have check engine lights and slow down lights. The top will need adjustment, the headers will fail. The Valve Guide issue is over hyped (like IMS on 996 Posrches) but does occur often.

On one trip of 20 miles, I had a check engine light, slow down light, and the fuse blew that lights the dash at night. My father, riding in the car, turns to me and says "Son, this is a reall pretty, really noisy, really expensive piece of s--t."

Despite all this, I absolutely love the thing. Find a tunnel, open it up.
Bill
your father is a wise man Bill..

Porsche owner, aka "fat cab"
post #14 of 22 Old 10-25-2011, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Owner

great thoughts, suggestions and warnings!

Actually, I received a call from the Mgr at FoW and he said as soon as I have the title in my name; along with my drivers license (name matching the title...), they would send me the entire kit and kaboddle (not sure those are gal words!). Pretty cool. (Shout out to them! )

If it was a 550 or 575, I'd surely fly up and drive back. The 355....nah...for the reasons Bill so eloquently pointed out! Don't wanna get frustrated the first day...
post #15 of 22 Old 10-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Eddie- Once you have her, think about installing one of Dave Helms' gold connector kits. That will get rid of most of the extraneous transient warning lamps.

Innovations - Solutions - Scuderia Rampante

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #16 of 22 Old 10-25-2011, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks Taz.

You're reading my mind. Dave and I have already communicated a bit and I sent him an email just yesterday on this very thing.

Do you have this kit? If so, did you install? I'd rather sub it out (...slammed at work) but if I had to...

It sure makes a lot of sense that correcting that potential issue could address a whole host of issues.

Eddie
post #17 of 22 Old 10-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Eddie- No, I have a 575M, which is boringly reliable, thank goodness. Many folks have installed the kits on their 348s and 355s and a friend of mine has it on his 550, too, so maybe my time will come.

If I install one in the future, a pro will do it. Crimping wires and connectors is not one of my strength areas.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Last edited by tazandjan; 10-26-2011 at 08:58 AM.
post #18 of 22 Old 10-26-2011, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Taz, I love the 550/575. They were strongly considered in lieu of the 355. Since I'll just drive the car ~2000/year, I figured I'd go with the spider and put up with the money pit (I'm preparing myself ). I wonder if I'm going to wish I went the V12 route...we'll see.

They (550/575) are beautiful. Man, in Corsa/tan (or blue, or silver, or...), just awesome.

Thanks again as the gold connectors seem like they will solve a bunch of issues/frustrations. I'll likely do that and install <Fabspeed?> headers right off the bat.

What would you do if it were you?
post #19 of 22 Old 10-26-2011, 04:34 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
if you told them you were my cousin they would have taken back that cup of coffee and shown you the door....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post

Either that or the fact I told them I was Wetpet's cousin....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #20 of 22 Old 10-26-2011, 09:00 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Eddie- Headers first because those can toast your engine. Gold connector kit when the lights drive you crazy.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode