Can someone in Miami help me rescue a CAT from Miami? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 04-10-2015, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,872
Garage
Can someone in Miami help me rescue a CAT from Miami?

Hey Guys,

3 weeks ago I went to Miami with a friend to close the deal on his 458. We stayed at Marriott Biscayne bay.

While outside on the patio, I saw this stray cat. I got him some food. He not a kitten but very young. Turns out the hotel has been feeding him but he has no real home.

I contacted a few organizations and I have been getting the run around for 3 weeks now from a lady that promised to help - she has let me down.

I'm looking for someone that could get him, take him to a vet to be checked out (I will pay for everything) and then hold him for a week or so until I could book a flight and come down and pick him up.

If you or someone you know can help me, I appreciate it as I'm trying to save this cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 04-10-2015, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Here is a picture. They have named him Garfield at the hotel
Attached Images

post #3 of 37 Old 04-10-2015, 02:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Dave, sorry but not much of help.

She looks a bit malnourished.

Seems like your best bet would to get hold of the hotel people that were feeding her to help you out (?).

Good luck with it. She is a lucky cat.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

Italian Lover

post #4 of 37 Old 04-10-2015, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Hi Jimmy,

I believe she is he

Actually I think the cats is skinny because he is so young. The hotel folks are feeding him and he hangs around where people eat breakfast and does not mooch food at all.

The wait staff (and the manager) love the Cat. The woman actually do not want me to rescue him but they really don't understand he has no home - no one to take him to the vet or properly care for him.

I tried a bunch of stuff when I was there although I would need to get him to a vet for vaccines before bringing him home on a plane.

I would not say he is lucky now but thank you kindly for your support.
post #5 of 37 Old 04-10-2015, 05:45 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 156
Are you sure you will need vaccines. My wife and I brought our daughters cat from the Ukraine it didn't need any shot record. Or anything to pass through customs. Just had to look healthy And it came from Eastern Europe if you call the hotel and pay them to put it in a pet crate and take it to the airport it be there in a day or so
post #6 of 37 Old 04-11-2015, 02:25 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,317
For the last ten years, I've travelled extensively with my cat here in the US.
The airlines don't always check or enforce it, but their rules do state they need a recent check from a vet. I was denied from taking him onboard on two occasions. Only the fact that I was in uniform and told them I was heading overseas persuaded to them to bend the rules.

One other observation: he's a chick magnet with stewardesses. Gate Agents not so much

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #7 of 37 Old 04-11-2015, 05:00 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave rocks View Post
Here is a picture. They have named him Garfield at the hotel
similar to my beloved cat died 3 months ago
post #8 of 37 Old 04-13-2015, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
I've got some good news to report....

Someone saw this post or the one Luke did for me on Fchat and the wife of that person contacted TheCatNetwork who I've already been speaking with. So, they connected me with the folks that saw the post and they are more than willing to help. If all goes well, I'll be picking the cat up from Philly this weekend (they will fly him there) and driving him home. That is all assuming he is still hanging around the hotel and they can get him.
post #9 of 37 Old 04-13-2015, 01:30 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,132
Quote:
I've got some good news to report....

Someone saw this post or the one Luke did for me on Fchat and the wife of that person contacted TheCatNetwork who I've already been speaking with. So, they connected me with the folks that saw the post and they are more than willing to help. If all goes well, I'll be picking the cat up from Philly this weekend (they will fly him there) and driving him home. That is all assuming he is still hanging around the hotel and they can get him.
Glad to hear that.
post #10 of 37 Old 04-13-2015, 03:58 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Lucky soul.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

Italian Lover
post #11 of 37 Old 04-14-2015, 03:58 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 110
Good news! That's pretty awesome of you Dave!

1997 F355 Berlinetta / Azzurro Hyperion Blue / 6 Speed
post #12 of 37 Old 04-14-2015, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric C View Post
Good news! That's pretty awesome of you Dave!
Thank you, Eric. The wheels are in motion. Hopefully they will get the little guy within the next 24 hours.
post #13 of 37 Old 04-15-2015, 11:38 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 74
Ten years ago I would have thought you were crazy (cat part). However, I live out in the country and people drop off kittens they dont want, in our area. I have taken in my fair share of cats. One or two at the brink of death. I get them spayed/neutered and they hang around and repay me with mice, moles, etc. Last count I was up to five (two have yet to be caught and fixed). They have grown on me, and I respect their independence. Sometimes I dont see them for weeks, then all of a sudden they show back up hungry. I actually like cats. Never thought I would say that.

Hope the cat makes it to you safe. Nice story on a crappy tax day!
post #14 of 37 Old 04-15-2015, 11:45 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 74
As for the skinny part. From my perspective, a healthy outdoor cat needs to be slim and trim. My cats get very thin in the heat of the summer, and slightly fatten over the winter. Over feeding ruins a good yard cat. I have found if you over feed, they get lazy, fat and become easier prey for other animals. I call them Democats. No Democats allowed around my house, they just dont make it.
post #15 of 37 Old 04-15-2015, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
My cats are part of my family, (I guess I'm crazy). They do not go outside - they live like kings in my house.
post #16 of 37 Old 04-15-2015, 12:47 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,004
Garage
Quote:
My cats are part of my family, (I guess I'm crazy). They do not go outside - they live like kings in my house.
Dave, I grew up with dogs in the New York suburbs. Mom had a cat once; she surprised everyone, especially Mom, by dropping a litter of eight on the basement floor. Mom said: that's it. No more cats. So I grew up with a stereotype of cats being independent, not obedient like a good dog and most of all not affectionate.

As a single adult living and practicing law in NYC a dog was out of the question, walking regularly, I travel a lot so n.g.- no animal.

Married, my wife and daughter beat on me to adopt a cat so off we go to the North Shore Animal League and adopt two small kittens. And I quickly discover that cats are not unaffectionate at all, they're just not affectionate like dogs.

In the past almost thirty years I've had six cats, all indoor animals, and have had to put down five of them, the sixth died at age four of a heart abnormality. That one's brother was my last and a more affectionate animal I've never experienced. Like the song: when I come home at night he will be waiting - inside the door to the garage. When I headed upstairs, he's racing up to get there before me. He used to wake me at all hours 'grooming' (licking) my beard! and I had to put him down just a few weeks ago, indescribably painful, something that twenty-odd years ago I wouldn't have believed.

Dave, good on you for taking care of this little feline.

Seth
575M F1, Maserati Spyder, Cadillac STS-V & CTS
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

what do I know? I drive blue Ferraris
post #17 of 37 Old 04-15-2015, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Seth,

I grew up with cats - we always had 2 in the house but they did go out (suburbs).

14 years ago, 1 year after I built my house, I got my first (whitie) He was hanging around my buddies work. He had FIV and still lived 13 years with me - I had to put him down on 12/23/2013 and it still makes me cry - he was a great creature. A year later (13 years back) I had 2 brothers hanging around my house so I took them in (Blackie and Red). Blackie needs constant attentions. I even hold him while I brush my teeth - he is super affectionate.

Most of the time when people say they don't like cats it's because they never lived with them. I like dogs too but am not home enough to take care of one.
Attached Images

Last edited by dave rocks; 04-15-2015 at 01:24 PM.
post #18 of 37 Old 04-15-2015, 03:00 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 738
Dear David,

Good job on the rescue operation.

Attached photo several years ago with my first precious grandson and our precious blue eyed Ragdoll cat who at that moment was not too sure about this new interloper in her house, after all "staff" had not consulted her about this new addition.

At age 18 she had to be put down and the pain of that event has convinced me to not have another cat. It is hard to explain such attachment to non-cat people.

Best regards,
Attached Images

Robert

Past: 500 Mondial S2 0556(0446)/MD owned 58 years from June 1960 to August 2018

Last edited by Admiral Goodwrench; 04-16-2015 at 06:44 PM.
post #19 of 37 Old 04-15-2015, 05:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,004
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Goodwrench View Post
Dear David,

Good job on the rescue operation.

Attached photo several years ago with my first grandson and our precious blue eyed Ragdoll cat who at that moment was not too sure about this new interloper in her house, after all "staff" had not consulted her about this new addition.

At age 18 she had to be put down and the pain of that event has convinced me to not have another cat. It is hard to explain such attachment to non-cat people.

Best regards,
Admiral, that's not a cat, that's a black-faced long-haired miniature cougar on second look, I could photoshop your cat into becoming a very believable Shetland sheepdog.

But permit me to observe that IMHO you're not correct, you have to get another as I hope to do after my 'big guy' went away.

Seth
575M F1, Maserati Spyder, Cadillac STS-V & CTS
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

what do I know? I drive blue Ferraris
post #20 of 37 Old 04-15-2015, 08:58 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 931
Dave, being a cat person myself (currently we have a total of 6 on our 5 acres) I was pleased to read what you've done!!!! You had better post pictures when he arrives!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode