Sonoma : Film Festival - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-10-2009, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
Sonoma : Film Festival

Sonoma is a small town [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonoma,_California ] , where one can walk about the entire center occasionally wandering off the main square into side alleys featuring European-ersatz-like, store fronts. Difference is, the stores range from Irish pubs, tai themes, to old Mexican cantinas, the latter of which may actually be in an adobe from CA’s beginnings.

Home of the Birth Place of California, where General Vallejo, the last sitting governor of Spanish holding in the West [as well as the last Spanish Mission of El Camino Real], resided, and where a bunch of, basically, drunken pioneers took over the 'ownership' from the general at his home. The Bear flag designed by Lincoln's nephew, was raised in the square and California was born.

It is one of only two parks in California where one is allowed to openly consume a bottle of wine or walk about with a glass of such in their hands: being of age is not even a consideration when accompanied by an adult/family member of 'good standing'.

This article pertains to our film festival. The first honored our most honored son, John Lassiter, who wrote, directed, produced, and co-founded Pixar with Steve Jobs. He has won numerous Oscars, and until his last CARS movie, always held a special premier of his movies in Sonoma.

A car mfgr would always have a special showing in front of the Sebastiani Theater showcasing their newest releases. Still hoping for Ferrari or Masesrati but have to settle for Porsche or others….still nice eye candy.

Last year's film festival was a bit downplayed, and yet so much fun. It was both a happy adventure for us in that we met new Ferrari friends, to include many 430s, 360 F40, 575M and a one-off over the top custom Wilys from Bruce Cohn, Doobie Brothers only business manager who owns a winery in town.

Some sad news too. Terry, a good friend, who brought us a special showing/premier of a movie in which he was involved, now released as The Battle in Seattle, died within the month. He was an avid biker, Ferrarista, a skier and amateur film maker.

First pic, [YES, that's my T leading the pack.....so goes the honor of being local ],start of an early morning drive to the coast, via HW 1, for a seafood lunch, at the Battle of the Sea, Jenner, get a bit of pause as a typical tractor makes its way, oblivious to a bunch of Italian metal.
[NOT an ad, but do check out OTISLIFE.COM http://otislife.com/gallery.html as Clarence and his partner put on many official Ferrari events across the nation: Clarence is a GREAT guy. MOfact he sprang for the ranch, party diggings in Sonoma for that film week.]

Next pic, well Bruce as himself...I do like his range of movies...blockbusters were ok, but, honestly I like pulp fiction and others that gave him more depth.

This year we are honoring Bruce Willis: He an Demi, when they were together, were quite a couple and both love Sonoma/Napa area.

Here is the article for this year’s event.

http://www.sonomanews.com/articles/2009/03/10/news/doc49b5c3cc6de8c035748142.txt
Willis won't wear tux at film fest
Lifetime achievement
By David Bolling INDEX-TRIBUNE EDITOR

When the Sonoma Valley International Film Festival honors Bruce Willis with a Lifetime Achievement award in April, don't expect him to wear a tux.

By all accounts Willis is a gracious, accessible guy, but pretentious he's not. During one of several visits to the Daily Show in 2007, Willis was dressed in ripped jeans and a T-shirt over a funky-looking long-sleeved athletic shirt. Relaxing in the guest chair he told host Jon Stewart, "I'm in the same clothes that I wore last night. I know a lot of your guests get dolled up when they come on here, but not me baby. Not me."

It was impossible to tell what Willis was wearing - if anything - during a telephone interview with the Index-Tribune last week, and we didn't ask, but he went out of his way to make himself available, sandwiching parts of the interview around incoming phone calls and picking up the thread after a 20-minute interruption when he could have just as easily called it quits. Willis is an actor with global appeal and nearly 70 films to his credit who has generated something on the order of $3 billion in North American box office revenues. He has won two Emmy Awards and a Golden Globe for his TV work, and is lead singer and harmonica player in his own blues band, The Accelerators.

All of which raises the obvious question: With countless film festival invitations every year, why is Willis coming to Sonoma?

First, film festival board chair Kevin McNeely is one of Willis' oldest friends. The two met in 1980 on the set of "The First Deadly Sin," the final film produced by, and starring, Frank Sinatra. Willis was barely recognizable in a walk-on role and McNeely was a production assistant.

The two met, bonded and became life-long friends.

Secondly, Sonoma is, well, Sonoma.

"It's a gorgeous town, really," said Willis. "I wish I could live there. It's enough of a city to be sophisticated - great restaurants, and of course the wine - and yet not be a city."

Told about the recent proposal floated by city Councilmember Aug Sebastiani to change Sonoma's designation from city to town, Willis opined, "I hate to think of it as too much like a city. Go for town. Or village."

Willis is clearly serious about his work, but just as clearly he doesn't take himself too seriously.

He sounded sincere when he insisted, "I'm just a guy who memorizes lots of words and repeats those words to an actor off camera. It's as much the crew, the director, the special effects people," who are responsible for making a movie.

After 25 years in the business, he said, "I still think the actor's contribution is just one part of a project involving 300 or 400 people who come together and make a movie." In the final analysis, Willis said, "Acting is just something you do to feed your kids."

Asked to list the work he's proudest of, Willis sounded neither rehearsed nor saccharine when he responded, "Probably my three daughters (Rumer, Scout and Tallulah). I'm really fortunate I've been able to hang around them."

As for his films? "I would throw out probably two-thirds of them. Some were experimental, but I did a lot of films that just sucked, that I just wasn't interested in."

One that clearly didn't "suck" was "The Sixth Sense," the M. Night Shyamalan film about a child who claims to speak to the dead and the psychologist, played by Willis, who doesn't understand until the end the full implications of that claim. "The Sixth Sense" had great box office and critical success and represented one of several high points in Willis' cyclical career.

"That was a really unique moment in film history. It was supposed to be a small indy film. It just took off."

Willis was invited to select the films he wants to showcase from his career and said "The Sixth Sense," will definitely be one of them. But he also said he might include "Mortal Thoughts," a 1991 thriller he did with ex-wife Demi Moore. Before "Sixth Sense," he said, "That used to be my favorite film."

Willis' interests go far beyond film making and he has been outspokenly political at times. Asked about the current Obama-inspired political climate, he observed, "It's not about Obama; there's too much talking and not enough doing. There are a lot of good ideas that need to be implemented, and a lot of special agendas on both sides of the line that need to be given up. I think we've got a crisis of confidence as much as an economic crisis."

And then, sounding a little bit like "Die Hard's" John McClane, Willis concluded, "We've got too many thieves. You can call it insider trading. I prefer to call it thievery."

The complete schedule for the 12th annual Sonoma Valley International Film Festival is online at www.sonomafilmfest.org. Willis will be honored at a special tribute on Saturday, April 4.

Tickets for that, and all festival events, have been reduced in price from last year's levels. Go to the Web site, or call 933-2600 for more information.

Sonoma's home page [regretably ALWAYS being updated in wiki as I was the contributing editor to it, but alas, people took away my energy when pages changed too much] show how Sonoma/county had seven flags of claim flown over it by as many empires.
Attached Images

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Last edited by Granucci; 03-10-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 247
Tickets?

Art
post #3 of 10 Old 03-11-2009, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Owner

ART: They don't seem to be listed yet.

Do you see your in that pic?

Loved following you on that river road.....gave Allan quite a start with his head sticking up so high, but he DID say he loved it....

rik

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

post #4 of 10 Old 03-11-2009, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ok, DID find the site for tickets: http://www.sonomafilmfest.org/pages/09passes

http://www.sonomafilmfest.org/

Me, I'm more a hang on the sides, drink wine, drive sort of guy

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #5 of 10 Old 03-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Rik,

I almost went to this event last year, how is it?
post #6 of 10 Old 03-11-2009, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Well, funny thing is

Andrew: some of the posters here have gone...most of us, except for Clarence or a couple others who actuall went to a few movies, spent most of our time about the ranch house..... see pics below.

Clarence in Cohn's, Nice old American Iron next to Ferrari Art., Two guys standing is Mike [f40, 575m etc.] and Terry who passed away

Clarence needed to attend events, and pics are at the new Jacuzzi winery, ya' of hot tub fame, but they have been in the wine and other stuff for over a hundred years....related to Cline cellars across the street.

Funny thing is, I live in a place people flock to to participate in events and do the 'Sonoma' thing, and wife and I are shooting to our lake in a Ferrari for the weekend for water volley ball etc. See the Mondial stocked with camping stuff next to our Free trailor: Trailor trash with a Ferrari....

...shoot, this is where Williams-Sonoma got his start, which BTW his initial store is only 100 yards from my front door on Broadway. Not to mention others.

Andrew: Here is/are some pics from last year's event......Note the Cohn's wheels, with Clarence driving....This home is built about 300 yards from where I grew up. My the ranch set have changed.
Attached Images

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #7 of 10 Old 03-11-2009, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Favorite

pic of them all, just about...love the composition.
Attached Images

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

Last edited by Granucci; 03-11-2009 at 04:43 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-11-2009, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Hehe

have to laugh at this one all the time. Allan is about 6'6" I think. He was in the back seat of the T with high intentions of taking pics of the trailing eye candy to the Ocean and back........

He is currently hot on the trail of some Ferrari as we speak and fully expect him to show up with a 2+2 early/mid 70's something...we'll see.

As we pass Bodega Town, yup the very same town Hitch filmed The Birds, where you can see that famous church etc. where the kids are running and getting themselves picked on by crows,

there is this VERY nice long stretch of road made for stomping on it, and passing every mom-pop camper shell before the final twisty run into Bodega Bay.

Every CHP has found that out...I'm guessing he was about having a fit when he saw this wet dream of speeding tickets appear
only to be dashed by us being blocked by circumstances....namely HIM!

and

probably the largest concentration of RADAR detcetors in the area

Bad thing was: look at the campers in front

He probably had a 'guess what ...." moment at the station ... lucky as we DID have a more spirited ride along the River: ART.....lead the pack.
Attached Images

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #9 of 10 Old 03-12-2009, 06:26 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 247
Indeed it was a very fun weekend. Nobody got into trouble, the party was great, the house was extraordinary, and Bruce Cohn the hit of the party, and he has absolutely great wine. He did tell that story to Tommy Johnston, and from what I understand, Tommy's response was: Is that asshole still alive (referring to me, but you have to know the story to get the humor in it).

Art
post #10 of 10 Old 03-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 260
Super cool pictures. How about posting a few dozen more pictures. Refreshing. Love those get together pictures. Feel like I am on vacation.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode