San Francisco - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 06-23-2009, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 271
San Francisco

Hi folks help for a trip to North California please.

I am thinking about a trip for myself to San Francisco in October or November this year. Now I have been to LA on two previous occasions.

My thoughts are do I stay in San Francisco or Sacramento? Fisherman's Wharf and Union square seem the most popular. I would rather have a car for the freedom but it seems in San Francisco most hotels charge a considerable amount to park whereas the Hyatt Regency (at least) in Sacramento charges only around $15/day compared to $40+ in San Francisco. Anywhere else worth staying? I think I want to be close to San Francisco and Sacramento is only about an hours drive is there anywhere else worth looking at?

Then the time of year it appears the rainfall jumps up in November compared to October but how much different is it typically? Not arsed about the temperature but living in Manchester in the UK I quite frankly get a bit pi$$ed off with rain .

Things to do, there must be plenty. I fancy a helicopter trip over San Francisco, Alcatraz, Golden Gate bridge etc. If I stayed in Sacramento what is there to see? I love your national parks but think in October November many may be off limits? If I stayed in Sacramento is it possible to park up in San Francisco for the day without breaking the bank?

I love the film Bullitt I am sure they organise sight seeing tours along some of the roads/highways used in the film. What about a GPS based tour is there anything like that?

So any help on all the above points much appreciated.

It looks best for me to get a package from Virgin (discounts as a frequent flyer) and they will organise tours but never sure if they are the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-25-2009, 09:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
You do want to stay around the area if SF is your goal. Sacramento is a 2 hours drive to SF.

October and November are nice times for SF. The fog is generally low and temperatures are pleasant.

This is an expensive area so plan well. Staying in SF is very pricey. You can stay in Berkeley or Oaklnd in the East Bay and have the BART train to get into SF or in the Peninsula area South of SF which is San Mateo or Burlingame and there is BART to SF as well.

There is much to see here in Marin, SF, etc.

Do your planning and let some of us know so we can meet with you and show you some areas you would not see with tours, etc.

Would be happy to do so.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
I'd stay in SF/The City or across the bay in Marin taking the Ferry across when needed...very easy commute and no parking/car hassles.

Sacramento hasn't much to offer for visiting, but I do like the town for the night life, and things to do such as sports or other young type things...it truly is an active community.

Tahoe, is very nice and worth the drive and a dinner.

Parking in SF, not that bad, but average in all day park = about $35/day. Can easily find that.

When We go for seafood I always park at the Fisherman's wharf area, as qualified rest. will stamp your ticket for free parking: great, and protected parking...as in Ferrari I get all front of the bus treatment.

The walk along embarcadero from Ferry to Fisherman's wharf will take you about 30 min. of casual waling. Expect many skaters, lroller and other people doing the same. Can get windy. Wind/temperature is always an issue so bring layers. Long sleeve shirt, that is light, but can be layered with a sweater/breaker or such when either the fog rolls in or ?

You'll want to walk across the Golden Gate bridge, but take a taxi to there as truly would be a half day exercise. Golden gate park = so so, but if have the time, hit the ocean and such.
one favorite spot is crissy field/old Army base area down by the marina: you'll see airborn wind surfers going crazy across the golden gate, like 50+miles per hour then go into the air...great stuff.

go to alcatraz

go to the wine company, like Sonoma !!! shameless plug. the square is the birthplace of California... go to wikipedia for more.

Yosemite is great too, and montery bay acq. SHOOT stay for Pebble Beach...

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

post #4 of 17 Old 06-30-2009, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks guys. Thankyou very much indeed. I am still confirming details and people. I am treating my sister to the trip but it may now be her husband due to family commitments. It may also mean we all go to Europe instead, though I really want to go to SF. Love the American people and love California.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
Bump: Bummed

I so wanted to go see the Russian Cruiser docked at SF this Thrusday, 24 June 2010, but have a darn meeting at noon.

Who would have thought seeing a missle war ship docked in SF and none of our own? First ship in 147 years!!!. Yes, we are talking Fort Ross, Sonoma county timeframe.

I miss our Navy here. Oldest Naval facility west of the Miss. MINSY/Mare Island [my birthplace] and now no military to speak of anywhere, saving the AF.

Hope the SF Navy days continue. I always make my way out to the yatch point in front of the Marina: The'll do a tail blast right above your head and the afterburners taking off your eyebrows are woth the long grow back period.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BAVP1E2O3N.DTL

Quote:
The first Russian surface warship to visit San Francisco in 147 years is docked on the Embarcadero this week on a visit that combines friendship, history and a display of military power.
The ship is the cruiser Varyag, a sleek gray vessel that is the flagship of Russia's Pacific fleet. It made the two-week voyage from Vladivostok in the spirit of friendship, as Russian Rear Adm. Vladimir Kastonov said more than once during a news conference aboard the ship at Pier 30-32 on Monday.
The ship's visit also commemorates a nearly forgotten bit of Russian-American history. Czar Alexander II sent a fleet to San Francisco and New York in 1863 during the American Civil War to show support for the union.
That Russian squadron, six ships commanded by a rear admiral, spent several months in San Francisco Bay. It was a difficult time for the United States - the British were considering recognizing the Confederacy, the French were about to send an army to Mexico, and the Confederate Navy had ideas about the Pacific.
Not only that, Russian sailors helped fight a huge fire in San Francisco and six of them died. A plaque honoring the sailors was dedicated Tuesday afternoon at Broadway and the Embarcadero.
"We have a very, very rich history," Kastonov said.
That may be, but it took more than a century for another Russian Navy warship to sail to what Kastonov called "your very beautiful coast and beautiful city." A Russian submarine came here during World War II, and an occasional Russian research ship, but that was it.
In between, of course, was the Cold War, a period when San Francisco was ringed with Nike missile batteries and the bay was full of U.S. Navy ships all designed to head off a Soviet attack that never came.
Monday, the Russians were pleased to show off their ship, including the menacing missile tubes that house 16 cruise missiles able to hit enemy warships more than 3,400 miles away. There is also an assortment of anti-aircraft missiles and a conventional twin-barrel gun in a turret that can fire 90 rounds of ammunition in a minute.
The mission of the Russian fleet, Kastonov said, "is to prevent piracy, particularly in the Gulf of Aden (near Somalia) and to prevent acts of terrorism."
"We work together with the United States forces in this region," the admiral said.
Capt. Eduard Moskalenko, the Varyag's commander, said his father was commander of a submarine in the Soviet era, but the Varyag is not your father's Russian ship. For one thing, a religious icon is mounted in a place of honor in the wardroom, unthinkable in the Communist era. For another, it has a small "relaxation room", where crew members can consult with a psychologist.
The room features comfortable couches, a tropical fish tank and two parrots, which liaison officer Lt. Artyoma Yakovnev said were named Pirate and Sailor.
On Wednesday, the Varyag's crew will participate in a cookout and sports competition with sailors from the U.S. Navy cruiser Bunker Hill, which is also in port.
Members of the public can tour the Varyag from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday. The ship sails Friday for Vladivostok.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #6 of 17 Old 06-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
You will need to give me a call/PM when you arrive or know your plans in more detail. The first round is on me. Just let me know what your tastes are and I can find it, I'm intimately familiar with the city.

It is personal choice but I'd stay away from Fisherman's Warf, you are better off in a hotel near Union Square, such as (third map area):
http://www.kimptonhotels.com/hotels/...francisco.aspx

Things to do:
http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/websi...omparison.aspx (night tour is a must, in October you'll be on the island at dark, it's very cool and surreal)

http://www.sfjazz.org (they have a concert in October)

Car shopping: www.fantasyjunction.com (wave to Pixar when you are there, it's across the street)

TONS OF FOOD

Baseball if the Giants are in the playoffs
post #7 of 17 Old 06-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
I hear the castro is nice...

I'm sorry guys. That was just too easy.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #8 of 17 Old 06-27-2010, 07:23 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcqv View Post
Hi folks help for a trip to North California please.

I am thinking about a trip for myself to San Francisco in October or November this year. Now I have been to LA on two previous occasions.

My thoughts are do I stay in San Francisco or Sacramento? Fisherman's Wharf and Union square seem the most popular. I would rather have a car for the freedom but it seems in San Francisco most hotels charge a considerable amount to park whereas the Hyatt Regency (at least) in Sacramento charges only around $15/day compared to $40+ in San Francisco. Anywhere else worth staying? I think I want to be close to San Francisco and Sacramento is only about an hours drive is there anywhere else worth looking at?

Then the time of year it appears the rainfall jumps up in November compared to October but how much different is it typically? Not arsed about the temperature but living in Manchester in the UK I quite frankly get a bit pi$$ed off with rain .

Things to do, there must be plenty. I fancy a helicopter trip over San Francisco, Alcatraz, Golden Gate bridge etc. If I stayed in Sacramento what is there to see? I love your national parks but think in October November many may be off limits? If I stayed in Sacramento is it possible to park up in San Francisco for the day without breaking the bank?

I love the film Bullitt I am sure they organise sight seeing tours along some of the roads/highways used in the film. What about a GPS based tour is there anything like that?

So any help on all the above points much appreciated.

It looks best for me to get a package from Virgin (discounts as a frequent flyer) and they will organise tours but never sure if they are the best.

I have lived in the Sacramento area all my life. My family lives in Manchester and come here every year. They'll be here in two weeks for a month. They enjoy San Francisco and any beach activites. There are a lot of things to do in San Francisco. Sacramento is a very conservative town; but, it is in between the mountains and the 'City'. The weather will be a little cool in October.
post #9 of 17 Old 06-27-2010, 08:11 PM
Owner

This thread is a year old.

Why has it been resurected?

Am I missing something?
post #10 of 17 Old 06-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
This thread is a year old.

Why has it been resurected?

Am I missing something?
Good catch, I guess his trip came and went. Looks like Rik bumped it and I didn't pay attention.
post #11 of 17 Old 06-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Owner

Rik should quit drinking!!!
post #12 of 17 Old 08-13-2010, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I never got there, tried again this year with my GF but we ended up booking sometime in Italy namely Monza (over the GP), Maranello and a factory tour then a trip down to Pompei.

I bought this too
post #13 of 17 Old 08-13-2010, 04:37 PM
Owner

Very very nice.
post #14 of 17 Old 08-14-2010, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
Very very nice.
Thanks. San Francisco sometime soon I hope.
post #15 of 17 Old 08-14-2010, 07:40 AM
Owner

Ok let us know and we'll meet with you and show you the area.
post #16 of 17 Old 08-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #17 of 17 Old 11-27-2010, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks. I love any 355

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode