Study - Ferrari Life
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 02-25-2008, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Ferrari Life Posts: 5
Study

Hi !
I a student at the University of Warwick (UK) and I am currently studying the brand FERRARI and it is perceived by consumers. My problem is that there is not much info about it in books or on the internet.
I'm just looking for some key words, for your opinion about what the brand Ferrari is for you !
It would be very nice if you could give me some key words about your perception of the brand Ferrari and how you like it !

As i live on campus and my friends are mainly girls, i was unable to find some Ferrari fans !

Thank you very much in advance !!!!
celine is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 02-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Owner
 
Malcqv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Manchester UK
Ferrari Life Posts: 271
Words are not my strong point.

My Ferrari is old.

It is exclusive, it smells fantastic (connolly hide) and the sound from the symphony of eight (V8 [cylinder]) is unsurpassed IMHO.

BTW I used to work at Warwick in the (now defunct) CAD/CAM dept Arden house.
Malcqv is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 02-25-2008, 03:40 PM
Owner
 
Saint Bastage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Essex Connecticut
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Celine...Welcome to the site and let me say you are very brave introducing yourself as a coed surrounded by nothing but girls. You have no idea what's going through the minds of many of our members. In an attempt to answer your question I need to break it down a little. While I love Ferrari as a Marquis, I specifically love one model, the 348. I am lucky to own my favorite all time machine. There was once a thread where a gentleman asked for details of why the 348 was a recomended choice. This was my response then and I think it may give you a glimpse of the passion Ferrari owners feel for there stupendous machines.


I am in love with the 348. The subtle body that mimick the lines of the finest of supermodels along with the passive aggresion of the Ferrari drive train make it the supreme ride. The 355, while being of very similar lines, is far to common. Not only were many more built, but the marketing of the 355 through video games, the wider market audience afforded by the F1 tranny, and the wall street tech bubble putting a 355 in the garage of every tech weeney searching for his measure of cool, made the car widely recognizable to people that have no idea what a Ferrari is. The 328 is also a beautiful car but more dated in the appearance catagory as it draws more heavily from the 308 dating to the late 70's.

The decisions you must make start with what you expect to get from the car, how much to spend in aquisition, maintenance and operational costs, availalbility of a high quality specimen, and what your heart tells you.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
Saint Bastage is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 Old 02-26-2008, 12:23 AM
Elite Member
 
marlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Scotland - Land of the Ferrari enthusiast!!
Ferrari Life Posts: 956
Welcome Celine.

Its interesting that you say that there is not much info in books or the internet.

Maybe its hard to put into words.

Think of something that sends shivers up your back or makes the hairs on your neck stand on end and you start to understand the Ferrari effect.

Try standing next to a 512 BB LM when it starts up - if you just hear a loud noise, its not for you - if you grin like an idiot.........

Obviously it doesn't affect everyone, and different things have the same effect on other people-

I know people who want to climb every Munro, or are passionate about aircraft or birds, personally, I would like to see every 250 GTO before I die.

My interest in Ferraris does veer towards the older models, especially those with race history, to me there is something special about a car that has taken part in Le Mans, for example.

Each to their own.

I normally say -

"If you need to have it explained, then you'll never understand"

Some of the books I own have comments made by owners which do try to explain their passion.

Maybe you should ask Boxer why he has such a fine collection of Ferraris.
marlin is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 02-26-2008, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Ferrari Life Posts: 5
THANK YOU VERY MUCH for answering to my post ! That is really nice of you !
Your comments are very useful for my research. As i told you, i mainly have friends who are girls and do not know much about cars in general.
I consider you as "experts" of the Ferrari brand! Saying that you can't really describe how you perceive the brand is a crucial point for my research, and all the other comments are also very useful. Thank you so much for your help !
If you have any other comments to add, or if you know people that can have interesting points of views, just let them on this page, i will check the page during the next week, and then i will start writing my essay !
Again thank you for paying attention to my post !
celine is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 02-26-2008, 04:17 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
Pete04222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA & Singapore
Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Hi Celine,
Another personal thought on what the Ferrari means to me is that it is a measure of personal success. Every teenage boy dreams about owning one of those fancy red sportscars but it is something that is unobtainable, just a dream if you will. You admire the men who have achieved a financial status sufficient to be able to afford such a luxury and you feel a twinge of jealousy. People tell you to stop dreaming about such things because you'll never be able to afford one.

You work hard and then comes the day when you CAN afford a Ferrari. You have achieved something that when you were younger was only a dream and the dream is now reality. Owning a Ferrari, for me, is not to impress others with my status; it is a personal symbol, and reminder, of my ability to achieve goals.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Pete04222 is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 02-27-2008, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Ferrari Life Posts: 5
Thank you all for your help !
Really, your comments are very useful to me!
celine is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 02-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
Pete04222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA & Singapore
Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by celine View Post
Thank you all for your help !
Really, your comments are very useful to me!
No Problem Celine. Glad to help. I, and I'm sure many others here, would be interested in reading your paper when it is finished. It would be great if you could post it here on the forum or allow us to PM you with our email addresses for you to send a copy. You might contact Andrew the website administrator and he may very well want to publish it in the Ferrari Life Quarterly newsletter.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Pete04222 is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 03-03-2008, 01:31 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,130
Simply put, for me, Ferraris are the finest, most exciting, involving, cars you can drive. That is why I own one (or perhaps a few more).
Boxer is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 03-04-2008, 12:53 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Ferrari Life Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by celine View Post
As i live on campus and my friends are mainly girls, i was unable to find some Ferrari fans !
What a damn shame that you are two and a half hours drive away

As has been said before, owning a Ferrari is not something you do with your head, it is all about the heart.

When I had my previous one, people used to say "you must be rich" ... I used to reply "it took all I had to get it, and all I have to keep it". Which was somewhere near the truth, but worth every penny.

I foolishly sold it over two years ago and it took me two years, two months and 21 days to get back to another one. There is nothing like it. In between the two I had a beautiful porsche 911 Carrera which was a revelation. I now understand that the 911 is the best "all-round" sports car in the world bar none ... but it still isn't a Ferrari.

The feeling you get when you sit behind the wheel and see the little black prancing stallions on the dials, fire the engine up ... all the heritage, the pedigree ... there are few cars that can instill such a sense of awe without even trying.

Ferraris are so special because Enzo built them with passion. Ferrari was not about making a profitable range of cars. The only reason that Enzo made road cars was to pay for the racing cars. It is just a happy bi-product that through this racing, the lessons learned naturally went into the road cars.

It is this single mindedness that makes the older Ferraris so special and give them so much soul.

Sure, there are better cars out there, but not ones that give you as much pleasure in return.

Some one once said that we never actually own these cars, we are just keeping them for the next generation.

You should try to get a ride in one, only then will you truly understand
burriana500 is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 03-05-2008, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Ferrari Life Posts: 5
Ah ah, I am writing my essay about Ferrari as it is due for next week, and really thank you ! While reading and reading again your comments, i really understand the passionate relationship pour have with the brand !
I am writing my essay with so much pleasure, because I am currently getting addicted to Ferrari ! This brand is just so special...

again, thank you all for your help !
celine is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 03-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Owner
 
Saint Bastage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Essex Connecticut
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Make sure you post that essay here. Frankly I find it very difficult to put in words just exactly how I feel. Your perspective might help me.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
Saint Bastage is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 03-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: US and Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by celine View Post
Ah ah, I am writing my essay about Ferrari as it is due for next week, and really thank you ! While reading and reading again your comments, i really understand the passionate relationship pour have with the brand !
I am writing my essay with so much pleasure, because I am currently getting addicted to Ferrari ! This brand is just so special...

again, thank you all for your help !
Celine, If you send the essay to me,, I will try to get it included in the next issue of our magazine, Ferrari Life Quarterly.

Resources: Parts List | Buyer's Guides
williamtaylor is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 03-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Owner
 
355F1FUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: PHOENIX
Ferrari Life Posts: 89
This Is Ferrari!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burriana500 View Post
What a damn shame that you are two and a half hours drive away

As has been said before, owning a Ferrari is not something you do with your head, it is all about the heart.

When I had my previous one, people used to say "you must be rich" ... I used to reply "it took all I had to get it, and all I have to keep it". Which was somewhere near the truth, but worth every penny.

I foolishly sold it over two years ago and it took me two years, two months and 21 days to get back to another one. There is nothing like it. In between the two I had a beautiful porsche 911 Carrera which was a revelation. I now understand that the 911 is the best "all-round" sports car in the world bar none ... but it still isn't a Ferrari.

The feeling you get when you sit behind the wheel and see the little black prancing stallions on the dials, fire the engine up ... all the heritage, the pedigree ... there are few cars that can instill such a sense of awe without even trying.

Ferraris are so special because Enzo built them with passion. Ferrari was not about making a profitable range of cars. The only reason that Enzo made road cars was to pay for the racing cars. It is just a happy bi-product that through this racing, the lessons learned naturally went into the road cars.

It is this single mindedness that makes the older Ferraris so special and give them so much soul.

Sure, there are better cars out there, but not ones that give you as much pleasure in return.

Some one once said that we never actually own these cars, we are just keeping them for the next generation.

You should try to get a ride in one, only then will you truly understand
YOU PUT INTO WORDS EXACTLY WHAT MAKES FERRARI, STAND ABOVE ALL THE REST! I THINK THAT ENZO WAS SO PASSIONATE ABOUT IS CRAFT, THERE MUST BE A LITTLE BIT OF HIM IN EVERY FERRARI PRODUCED.
HE HAD THAT MAGIC! THAT'S WHAT WE FEEL.

AS YOU SAID, YOU MUST DRIVE A FERRARI TO GET IT.

IT'S NOT A REVIEW, OR TECH FACT, IT IS THE ESSENCE.

WELL DONE, AND I 'M GOING FOR A DRIVE!!

FYI THE REASON I ACHIEVED THE SUCCESS AND FINANCIAL REWARD IN MY CAREER, IS DUE TO MY PASSION. HOW LUCKY AM I, TO MAKE A LIVING FROM SOMETHING I LOVE TO DO.

"LIFE IS SHORT, I'LL HAVE ANOTHER FERRARI SOME DAY!
355F1FUN is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale