4WD - any suggestions? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-02-2008, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
4WD - any suggestions?

Looking out of the window at the miserable weather got me thinking that it might be fun to go off-roading/mud plugging when the sports cars can't come out to play.

The question is, what with?

I was thinking something...

1. Cheap so < GBP 5k
2. Comfortable-ish
3. Reliable
4. PAS is a must - for when it is on the road
5. Competent

the motors that come to mind are

1. Jeep Wrangler
2. Land Rover Defender - although a late one (2000- ) of these is min GBP10k

Welcome any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 490
We ran a '98 Grand Cherokee 4ltr with LPG as the works transport for a number of years, fab towcar, go anywhere & never once let us down.
Given the price of petrol now they are dirt cheap , mega comfortable as well. Towed a two & a half ton Derby Bentley across the country at ***mph fab vehicle
post #3 of 10 Old 02-02-2008, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

I was having the Petrol v Diesel debate in my head - I know diesel is better value cost/MPG trade-off, but I like the power of the petrol engine, not sure...?

I have never really driven an LPG conversion - what's it like?

post #4 of 10 Old 02-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 490
Manufacturers reckon there's a 5% drop or thereabouts in power, TBH with the power of the G/C I never noticed a difference
post #5 of 10 Old 02-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
T1f, what about a series 1 Disco V8, it should have PAS and might fall in the 5K region.
Or a LR Defender V8, not sure about PAS as they are very agricultural.

Or an old Mitsubishi Shogun/Pajero or Toyota Land Cruiser - being Japanese they will never break down.

Archie
post #6 of 10 Old 02-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
I'm a Jeep guy, I've got two of them currently. An '82 CJ7 that my Dad bought brand new and I took it away from him and rebuilt it for off-road use and a '69 Commando that I use for a yard truck. I have also owned a YJ and a TJ. I've belonged to a couple of Jeep clubs also for off-roading. I think the stock Jeep Wrangler is the best "out-of-the-box" on and off road vehicle you can buy for the money.
My second choice, given your requirements, would probably be a Subaru. Mind that you are not going to take this thing rock climbing or mud bogging, but if you want a mild off-road experience or just want to get through some nasty weather safely, comfortably and confidently for not a lot of money than the Subaru is a good option. They are very popular here in Maine.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #7 of 10 Old 02-03-2008, 06:20 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
T1f, what about a series 1 Disco V8, it should have PAS and might fall in the 5K region.

Or an old Mitsubishi Shogun/Pajero or Toyota Land Cruiser - being Japanese they will never break down.
I second the LR Disco reco. I have had one for over ten years. It spends most of the year sitting. Despite this it starts every time. Built like a tank.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-03-2008, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
I second the LR Disco reco. I have had one for over ten years. It spends most of the year sitting. Despite this it starts every time. Built like a tank.
I never seriously considered the Disco, thought it might be too 'civilised' and had heard negatives about reliability. I'll take a better look.
Boxer, is yours the V8 or the Diesel?

I thought about a Landcruiser, but both the Amazon and Colorado are too big for what I want, like the look of the mid 80's/early 90's SWB 'Cruiser but most seem worn out and apparent good ones still go for GBP2-4k! I recently drove a new FJ Cruiser - that was cool - love the looks and the power! But outta my league for this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
I think the stock Jeep Wrangler is the best "out-of-the-box" on and off road vehicle you can buy for the money.
My second choice, given your requirements, would probably be a Subaru.
The Wrangler is def on my list, I too have heard good things about its on/off road prowess. The one's I have driven on road are pretty good, my dad used to have a ex-WWII Willys way back when... and he has fond memories about it to this day. I think the Sub is def an accomplished motor, but reckon it might get bogged down in the swamp if what I am imagining is anything to go by!!

Pete, would you go for the square lamp/leaf spring model or the round lamp/coil spring model?

I think i'll start off taking a closer look at the Disco (maybe a TD5 - more power!!) or the Wrangler (4.0 - Empty wallet!!).

Thanks guys - any other suggestions welcome. Also any opinions on lift kits? and other must haves for mud-plugging?

post #9 of 10 Old 02-04-2008, 12:56 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1fosI View Post
I never seriously considered the Disco, thought it might be too 'civilised' and had heard negatives about reliability. I'll take a better look.
Boxer, is yours the V8 or the Diesel?

I have the V8.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
I have the V8.
No surprise there Boxer

T1f, don't rule out a SWB V8 Defender. I have some friends who do serious mud plugging up in the peak district and they swear by the Defender. Very easy to mod and fix when things break off.

Archie

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode