I would, funds allowing:thumbup:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-09-2007, 12:44 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,130
What do you think the reserve is ? Engine is worth more than the current bid price.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-09-2007, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 490
My guess would be 10 - 12k
But I might be way off

post #4 of 16 Old 09-09-2007, 04:47 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

It actually might make for a good donor for a custom rebody.

Anyone interested in a project ?
post #5 of 16 Old 09-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
It actually might make for a good donor for a custom rebody.

Anyone interested in a project ?
I was thinking the same. We could have Al dismantle it or rebuild it.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-09-2007, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Master Mechanic

Hi Andrew - I like the new format:thumbup:
post #7 of 16 Old 09-10-2007, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Master Mechanic

A client spoke to the vendor today - he's hoping to get 14k for it.........I wasn't too far off then
post #8 of 16 Old 09-10-2007, 10:55 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
What would it cost to get it back on the road (assuming that the damage is only as described)?

What does cat D mean?

No books? Could the previous owners and history be tracked down by the chassis and engine number via the FOC or main dealers servicing records (data protection act permitting).

I'm not interested in the car, more curious..

Archie
post #9 of 16 Old 09-10-2007, 11:01 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

If I was interested, I would not offer more than GBP 8k. Fully repaired it is only worth GBP 20-22k, assuming you know the history. Putting it back together will easily run GBP 10k if not a lot more. Here are the Category Damage Definitions:

The Association of British Insurers (ABI) Code categories of accident damaged vehicles are outlined as follows;
Category A: SCRAP
Where a vehicle has been destroyed by fire or so badly damaged, destroyed or deformed that it has no commercial salvageable parts, or the vehicle has been involved in a flood over seat level. The vehicle must be decontaminated and then the bodyshell crushed. These vehicles will not appear in any of our auctions.
Category B: BREAKER
Where a vehicle has sustained serious damage, is beyond economical repair and cannot be safely repaired. The vehicle should not be repaired but sold for parts only to authorised breakers / dismantlers. These vehicles can be purchased by authorised breakers / dismantlers at any of our Breaker auctions.
Category C: REPAIRER
A vehicle where the repairs are assessed by the inspecting engineer as, exceeding the pre-accident market value. These vehicles are repairable and can be purchased at any of our Salvage auctions.
Category D: REPAIRER
Where the cost of repairs do not exceed the value of the vehicle but either the insurer or the insured does not want to repair the vehicle. These vehicles are repairable and can be purchased at any of our Salvage auctions
post #10 of 16 Old 09-10-2007, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Master Mechanic

Hi Arch, cat D basically means uneconomical repair but no severe structural damage - worth bearing in mind that most insurance companies will write off a car if the cost approaches 2/3rds the value of the car.
The previous owners & history could fairly easily be tracked as long as the car has been cared for by a professional indie.
The real cost is in the parts - I believe there is quite a bit of stuff which is no longer available & would need a lot of groundwork to find (lights particularly apparently!)
The labour cost would (as it always is) be dependant on whom carried out the repair.
I am pretty clueless on values tbh & I'm sure Boxer is pretty spot on!
Basically it would be a good route for someone such as I into Ferrari ownership - the end value wouldn't be terribly important, it's the attainability that's the crucial thing - someone who can repair the car themselves can usually afford the space to tuck the car away for some time whilst the parts are being acquired.
post #11 of 16 Old 09-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Owner

Useful info Boxer. It's not for me though, I don't know anything about car repairs, checking the oil and water levels is the limit of my technical know how. My knowledge only extends as far as who makes what, approximate values of cars and any other useless info I've retained from watching Top Gear for years or reading car mags.

Archie
post #12 of 16 Old 09-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaautomotive View Post
Basically it would be a good route for someone such as I into Ferrari ownership - the end value wouldn't be terribly important, it's the attainability that's the crucial thing - someone who can repair the car themselves can usually afford the space to tuck the car away for some time whilst the parts are being acquired.
You're spot on there Al. You'd have to be a pro such as yourself to take on a project like that because at least you wouldn't have to pay someone else 50 PH labour.

Is this one for you then Al? You've got the know how and the space.

Archie
post #13 of 16 Old 09-10-2007, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Master Mechanic

I wish M8, serious lack of the necessary unfortunately
I'd posted it for Tiff 'cos he has excellent connections in the trade & could be a goer for him
post #14 of 16 Old 09-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
Useful info Boxer. It's not for me though, I don't know anything about car repairs, checking the oil and water levels is the limit of my technical know how. My knowledge only extends as far as who makes what, approximate values of cars and any other useless info I've retained from watching Top Gear for years or reading car mags.
I see we both graduated from the same school of Mechanical Engineering.
post #15 of 16 Old 09-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
I see we both graduated from the same school of Mechanical Engineering.
Haha, absolutely. It's not that I don't like getting my hands dirty, I'm more worried that when I take things apart and try to put them back together again, I always end up with a few spares

Archie
post #16 of 16 Old 09-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
I am a bit slow this week! Thanks for thinking of me Al :thumbup: - but I might pass on this one

I just saw this and I have to agree with everything you guys have commented on - from true value to parts availability.

I like this bit

"From a quick glance it needs the following- windscreen, front bumper, 1 headlamp unit, poss bonnet (although it is new it has some damage) 2 roadwheels are damaged there may be other smaller items we have not noticed."

"From a quick glance" I can see the vendor has a fully fledged workshop going (complete with VX220, Elise and Caterham 7), has already purchased a load of panels ("light accident damage" and we need a complete new front end and probably to re-align the chassis!!) and the wear on the outer edge of the seat buttress doesn't quite indicate the 6k miles recorded.

What I can never quite understand is that if it such a great deal than why doesn't the guy selling it do it himself? he seems to be geared up for it...unless it is going to cost more than he thought or as you say he cannot get some of the parts (more likely they are available but at a price he is not willing to pay as it will most likely make the project unviable).

Oh well back to the classifieds...

By the way a little while back I went to see a guy I know who has a machine shop, this guy is a really talented engineer but his workshop is a mess, it is also an Aladdins Cave cos he just buys all kinds of stuff and stores it (anywhere he has room!) anyway I walked in to his workshop (you can only venture about a 1/3rd of the way in before you 'hit' his stuff) and he has 2 ramps which always have cars on/under them that he has bought thinking he is going to do them up and sell them (yeah right!) and out of the corner of my eye I see part of the wheel of this motor parked under one of the ramps, the car has several dust covers/blankets on it so you can't make it out, and so I look at the wheel more closely and I can't believe my eyes, I am thinking Nah! it can't be.

So I say to the guy who works for him, casually, 'So when did ***** get the Ferrari 360?' and he looks at me funny and says 'how do you know its a Ferrari 360?' so I point to the wheel. He just smiled, then pulled off the covers so I could take a closer look. It was actually a 360 Spider with a smashed in door, B pillar and rear quarter. He then proceeded to tell me the story of how this Cat D write off it came to be in the workshop. Since then the guys managed to get a second hand door and a new rear quarterpanel and the car is looking quite good now - except he painted it the wrong shade by accident!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode