RIP Tony Wilson - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-10-2007, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 490
RIP Tony Wilson

Can't quite believe this, but Tony Wilson (began Factory Records) has passed away aged 57.
His influence on British music is only surpassed maybe by Dave Robinson & Andy Jakeman of Stiff records.
RIP Tony You will be very missed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Al, that's very, very sad news. I was introduced to Factory records through Joy Division & New Order. He was an influential figure in the Manchester scene and rave culture in the late 80's with his club, The Hacienda. A great loss.

Archie
post #3 of 7 Old 08-10-2007, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 490
I know Arch, still hasn't really sunk in
I knocked about with a young lady involved with the group EMF many (MANY) years ago - who were a Hacienda favourite, so there was a tenuous connection.
As you rightly say, his legacy will be the Hacienda & Joy Division/New Order & the new wave Indy scene.

Last edited by alsaautomotive; 08-10-2007 at 02:33 PM.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Owner

I'm sure I read somewhere that he was involved in promoting the Buzzcocks in the early days, way before he signed Warsaw who later became JD.

Without JD & NO there would have been no Smiths and no indie dance scene (Stone Roses & Happy Mondays..etc). I think that Ian Curtis (JD) was even more miserable than Morrissey.

Tony Wilson was always a talking head on any music documentary about Punk, New Wave, Indie or Dance. I remember once him telling how Factory records had gone bust. The Mondays were recording their 2nd album in the Carribean, but were so spaced out they over ran their studio time by a year costing factory a fortune, and combined with Exstasy scandals and drugs raids at the Hacienda it all cam eto an end in the early 90's.

Most music promoters and svengalis are complete tossers (Louis Walsh, Simon Cowell, Pete Waterman, Simon Fuller....etc), but Tony Wilson was a legend.

Archie
post #5 of 7 Old 08-13-2007, 01:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 271
Archie, you saying the Happy Mondays were a part in bringing down Factory Records?

I ask as I was shocked (also about his death as I did not know he was ill) that his friends put money towards a new treatment or something.

I also knew Shaun and Paul Ryder, as I have no doubt (yawn) mentioned before Paul was my best mate at one point in school.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-13-2007, 06:20 AM
Owner

No I'm not blaming the Mondays, I saw one of those BBC2 or C4 documenaries a few yrs ago and Tony Wilson & Shaun Ryder were saying the Monday's blew a lot of Factory's cash in the Carribean recording their 2nd album (probably on Shaun's stash ), They tongue in cheek said it was the reason that Factory folded. I think it was probably down to poor management of the company, Tony Wilson admitted he wasn't a businessman in a recent BBC online interview.
Anyway, I'm not blaming anyone It's a real shame he's passed away.

Archie
post #7 of 7 Old 08-13-2007, 11:29 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 271
No problems Archie, was just wondering, would hate to think it was their fault. Not spoke to Paul Ryder in years. Had an email about 5 or 6 years ago from him, but nothing since.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode