Ferrari Life Posts: 37
The smoking ban has been in force for over a year in scotland
pub numbers are hardly affected at all
and going out in retaurants etc is a much nicer experience all together
sure you will all find it better for sure

post #3 of 32 Old 06-30-2007, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 490
It's been with us for a few months also, but you know how things are - if it doesn't happen in England it doesn't happen .
Doesn't seem to have had much impact here.

post #4 of 32 Old 06-30-2007, 09:20 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
I packed a 20 a day habit over over 25 yrs up in Jan 07, but started again when I went on holiday at the end of May. I'm going to try again when I go to bed tonight.

As far as the ban goes, I think it's fair enough, why should non smokers be forced to breathe in smoke?

Quite simple, if you want a ciggie, go outside, not rocket science is it? It's what I've always done at home and at work.

Archie
post #5 of 32 Old 07-01-2007, 02:16 AM
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy1903 View Post
The smoking ban has been in force for over a year in scotland
pub numbers are hardly affected at all
and going out in retaurants etc is a much nicer experience all together
sure you will all find it better for sure

Hear, hear

Archie, think of the money you'll save.
Put the ciggy money in a jar.............
you'll have another Ferrari by 2008.
post #6 of 32 Old 07-01-2007, 02:54 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin View Post
Hear, hear

Archie, think of the money you'll save.
Put the ciggy money in a jar.............
you'll have another Ferrari by 2008.
Make that 2108

Archie
post #7 of 32 Old 07-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Owner

3 days now and I've not been tempted. TBH, it's easier not to smoke.
Can't smoke at home, in the car, at work, in the pub, any enclosed public space..etc.
The only place you can smoke is outside, and it's been raining non stop here for 5 weeks. Hardly worth smoking really.
That's £16.50 towards my next ferrari

Archie
post #8 of 32 Old 07-05-2007, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
3 days now and I've not been tempted. TBH, it's easier not to smoke.
Can't smoke at home, in the car, at work, in the pub, any enclosed public space..etc.
The only place you can smoke is outside, and it's been raining non stop here for 5 weeks. Hardly worth smoking really.
That's £16.50 towards my next ferrari
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Nice one.
All I'll say is that if a committed smoker like me can give up (60 a day) then anyone can. You really have to want to though - I'd had a number of aborted attempts because I felt as though I should give up, but didn't really want to.
It must have been Hell for my staff - all being non smokers with me perpetually puffing away

Good luck
post #9 of 32 Old 07-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaautomotive View Post
:. You really have to want to though - I'd had a number of aborted attempts because I felt as though I should give up, but didn't really want to.
Good luck
You're right Al, you have to want to do it. I've attempted many times in the past, not because I've wanted to, but because I've been nagged by the Mrs. Consequently, I'd last about and hour before I went to the shop and bought another packet of 20.
I've been psyching myself up for years to give up this year as I'm 40 in the Autumn and always said I'd have quit before then. Plus we are expecting another baby and I don't want the new baby to think that daddy stinks.
I did go a few months earlier in the year, but stupidly had a cigar on holiday, and before long was back on 20 ciggies a day. At the back of my mind, I had already decided that the English smoking ban would be my target date so I enjoyed my last few weeks of smoking knowing I would be ready to try again.
TBH, it's not that hard as long as I can keep away from other smokers. I've never smoked in the house, the office or car so that's not something I'll miss.

Archie
post #10 of 32 Old 07-05-2007, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Plus we are expecting another baby and I don't want the new baby to think that daddy stinks.
Congrats - when due??

Quote:
TBH, it's not that hard as long as I can keep away from other smokers.
Give it six months & you'll be able to smell a smoker from 20ft, and it'll turn you're stomach! That's been the biggest suprise for me.
The downsides are that I can now taste Mrs Alsaautomotive's cooking & can sing very loudly
post #11 of 32 Old 07-05-2007, 11:27 PM
Owner

Quote:
Congrats - when due??

Give it six months & you'll be able to smell a smoker from 20ft, and it'll turn you're stomach! That's been the biggest suprise for me.
The downsides are that I can now taste Mrs Alsaautomotive's cooking & can sing very loudly
Thanks, it's due mid Nov.

Never met a Welshman who can't sing loudly

Archie
post #12 of 32 Old 07-06-2007, 04:56 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
We have had a ban in Canada for the last 4 years, the first 2, businesses were having trouble, less than half customers especially bars.

I smoke a pack a day (25), I love smoking, I don’t hate it yet to want to quit. I also love cigars and have a humidor with a capacity of about 150 but only have about 25 – 40 cigars of all type and when the humidor is empty; I do a cigar run at the local cigar shop. If I could stop smoking cigarettes and just be able to smoke cigars I would quit. I tried to quit…and well, let say I wasn’t the nicest person.

Quote:
I kicked a 60 a day habit
60 a day?!?!?!?!?! Holy crap…. That is almost 2 ½ pack a day….great job of being able to quit…

Quote:
We are expecting another baby and I don't want the new baby to think that daddy stinks.
Congratulations…..

~

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari
post #13 of 32 Old 07-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Owner

I know what you mean, that's why I have never really wanted to give up until now. I enjoy smoking, not every one I smoke, but certain ciggies during the day I enjoy.
I tried just smoking cigars, but ended up smoking them just like cigarettes, which is probably worse.
The only way to give up is to give up completely, it's not easy, but like Al said, if he can go from 60 a day to zero, it can be done, but only with a lot of will power.
Thanks for the congrats, TBH that is my real motivation for wanting to give up this time, I'm nearly 40 and will be an old dad, I want my child to still have a dad when it's my age.

Archie
post #14 of 32 Old 07-06-2007, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Never met a Welshman who can't sing loudly
& VERY badly - it's a commoon thread in the family - we're all tone deaf - most embarrasing at the school Christmas concerts when you can distinctly hear your daughter tunelessly yowling along!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
post #15 of 32 Old 07-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Owner

Quote:
& VERY badly - it's a commoon thread in the family - we're all tone deaf - most embarrasing at the school Christmas concerts when you can distinctly hear your daughter tunelessly yowling along!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
That's impossible, all Welsh people can sing. You must be an imposter I bet you've got some English blood poluting that Celtic DNA

Better get practicing on the karaoke to Tom JOnes, Shirley bassey, The manics, Bryn Turfell, Stereophonics, Lost Prophets, The Alarm ...etc all great Welsh singers.

Archie
post #16 of 32 Old 07-10-2007, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Master Mechanic

Quote:
That's impossible, all Welsh people can sing. You must be an imposter I bet you've got some English blood poluting that Celtic DNA
Rather more than I've admitted to TBH Three quarters English (but don't tell anyone) Born in Wales & educated in Welsh though in mitigation:thumbup:

How's the smoking going?
post #17 of 32 Old 07-10-2007, 11:18 AM
Owner

So you're an Englishman then, I bet you keep that quiet down the pub.

My wife's side of the family are Welsh, originally from South Wales, but now living up in Abergele on the North Welsh coast. We go up there a couple of times a year, don't meet many Welsh there though, it's nearly all Scousers and Mancs.

Ask me about the smoking in a few days, had a bit of a relapse over the weekend

Archie
post #18 of 32 Old 07-14-2007, 08:48 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 30
I was thinking of starting smoking as I'd get more breaks at work and they'd allow me to leave my desk from time to time.

Trouble is that I don't actually like the smell and if I do smoke it makes me dizzy and often sick. The cigs I smoked in Jamaica were much better, had a smell of their own and actually made me laugh that much that I couldn't bother to be sick. Someone could make a fortune by bringing Jamaican cigs to the UK. Just a thought, there could be a real opening in the market there.

I was thinking of starting on chewing nicotine gum then moving on to patches and in a few weeks time, I'd be able to smoke a full tab without falling over.

Anyone else done this?
post #19 of 32 Old 07-14-2007, 11:28 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
I was thinking of starting smoking as I'd get more breaks at work and they'd allow me to leave my desk from time to time.

Trouble is that I don't actually like the smell and if I do smoke it makes me dizzy and often sick. The cigs I smoked in Jamaica were much better, had a smell of their own and actually made me laugh that much that I couldn't bother to be sick. Someone could make a fortune by bringing Jamaican cigs to the UK. Just a thought, there could be a real opening in the market there.

I was thinking of starting on chewing nicotine gum then moving on to patches and in a few weeks time, I'd be able to smoke a full tab without falling over.

Anyone else done this?
Those Jamaican ciggies are great They do a good range in Amsterdam too
Herbal marlboro I think

Archie
post #20 of 32 Old 07-15-2007, 12:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 30
The Jamaican Woodbines do have the edge over the Dutch Herbals but either would do.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode