Driving Technique Consultation. - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 11-14-2012, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
Driving Technique Consultation.

Thought I'd ask what the general thoughts on this are.
I know there are heaps of companies offering track days, with your own car or not, & track tuition. What's the feeling behind someone who offered input on how to make the most of your car on the road??
I'm not talking about the best time & place to mash the loud pedal but more how to read the road ahead, hazard perception and general vehicle positioning.
I know that the IAM & ROSPA offer courses with this type of input but its usually pretty involved & can take some days. What if someone, already qualified by them & with lots of road driving experience, offered their input to owners for as long as the owner wanted?
Personally I think it would be of huge benefit to any driver on the road, not just those with high value / performance cars.
Reason I ask is an associate with this experience is considering offering his road driving knowledge but with the time & effort involved doesn't want to waste his time if the demand isn't there.
Thanks in advance.

All comments very welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-14-2012, 09:25 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Here in the States, I always encourage new Exotic car owners to get involved with club track days fro driver education. I believe many are nervous about the likelyhood of getting overzealous and the service/repair expense related to doing so.

I would think a more casual enviroment would be quite appealing to many. Unless their ego's just won't get out of the way...

post #3 of 19 Old 11-14-2012, 11:17 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Highly recommend taking advanced driving and/or track instruction. Just make sure it is with a highly qualified professional group.

In the UK, FFCorse would be my recommendation.

post #4 of 19 Old 11-15-2012, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

As you both mention, track days seem the most popular by a long way. It does seem to me that there is a gap in the market when it comes to road driving.
If I'm honest the IAM gets a bit of stick for being all pull push & string backed gloves. I can't find anything on offer that provides similar input with a less formal structure.
Even being shown some good local driving roads would benefit some drivers. Couple that with information on limit points on bends, some hazard awareness & vehicle positioning with a good lunch out, I think he's got a good product to offer??
post #5 of 19 Old 11-15-2012, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

As you both mention, track days seem the most popular by a long way. It does seem to me that there is a gap in the market when it comes to road driving.
If I'm honest the IAM gets a bit of stick for being all pull push & string backed gloves. I can't find anything on offer that provides similar input with a less formal structure.
Even being shown some good local driving roads would benefit some drivers. Couple that with information on limit points on bends, some hazard awareness & vehicle positioning with a good lunch out, I think he's got a good product to offer??

As an aside I think Porsche offer some road driving tuition to customers but having spoken to my local Ferrari dealer they don't & nor does any other manufacturer as far as he knows.
post #6 of 19 Old 11-15-2012, 08:25 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doright View Post

As an aside I think Porsche offer some road driving tuition to customers but having spoken to my local Ferrari dealer they don't & nor does any other manufacturer as far as he knows.
There is a group in the UK called Ride Drive which uses off duty police officers to give road tuition. You might see if there is something similar in your area.
post #7 of 19 Old 11-17-2012, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Had the opportunity to drive a 458, 599 & FF back to back today. All great cars but each very different.
Seeing this it makes even more sense for a new owner to take on a bit of information from an experienced road driver. Having also tracked a 458 I've realised how utterly frustrating it becomes on the road.
Speed perception in all of them is warped beyond belief.
post #8 of 19 Old 11-17-2012, 11:48 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Had the opportunity to drive a 458, 599 & FF back to back today. All great cars but each very different.
Seeing this it makes even more sense for a new owner to take on a bit of information from an experienced road driver. Having also tracked a 458 I've realised how utterly frustrating it becomes on the road.
Speed perception in all of them is warped beyond belief.
Preference among the 3 ?
post #9 of 19 Old 11-18-2012, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

It depends on what id be looking at them for.
The 458 is a monster & I love it. I'd be too frustrated to used it as a daily driver as my close friend does!! It's the greatest track car & most at home there. I drove the Silverstone GP track a few weeks ago & I could spend weeks there driving the 458 & would never get tired of it.
The FF is in my eyes is a genuinely useable everyday driver. Luggage space, seats for 4 and that V12 is great.
The 599 I drove was a 60th anniversary edition with the Scud graphics etc. I'm not a Ferrari expert but think it has a handling pack & some extra bells n whistles?? This car to me was my favourite. The mid-front engine layout gave it a great balance that I didn't think it would have compared to the 458. For me this car had the biggest grin factor & that's what I'd look for. Not the newest model but my favourite of the day.
Perfect world I'd have a 458 for the track, an FF daily driver, 599 for evenings & weekends & a ... Wait for it... BMW M3 CSL if I want a car I can fully exploit on a road.
Can't wait till I get in the F12...!!!!!
post #10 of 19 Old 11-18-2012, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

I fully understand that this helps no one if they are looking to make a decision on a purchase as having re read the post I end up with them all.
599. Best of both. And a V12 that I'm still smiling about as I type!
post #11 of 19 Old 03-09-2013, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Got to drive the F12 Berlinetta today.
Beautiful car both to look at and drive.
It's an utter monster and in the short time I had with it only serious drivers apply to order one.
Firm ride but not crashy in any way. The steering was amazingly direct & responsive. The power delivery is epic, beyond even the 458 I think.

I'd like a few days with one please!!

On another not there were 2 beautiful F40s in the workshops. One was factory standard, the other ..... breathed on
Lovely.

Last edited by Doright; 03-09-2013 at 01:54 PM.
post #12 of 19 Old 03-10-2013, 01:19 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Got to drive the F12 Berlinetta today.
Beautiful car both to look at and drive.
It's an utter monster and in the short time I had with it only serious drivers apply to order one.
Firm ride but not crashy in any way. The steering was amazingly direct & responsive. The power delivery is epic, beyond even the 458 I think.

I'd like a few days with one please!!

On another not there were 2 beautiful F40s in the workshops. One was factory standard, the other ..... breathed on
Lovely.
Was this at the DK open house?
post #13 of 19 Old 03-10-2013, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

No. Carrs Exeter.
You taking a drive?
post #14 of 19 Old 03-10-2013, 04:05 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
No. Carrs Exeter.
You taking a drive?
Probably not at Carrs. Since Nigel left I have basically had zero contact from them on the sales side. No idea who even replaced him. Still use Carrs for all the servicing and they remain excellent.
post #15 of 19 Old 03-10-2013, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Don't want appear nosey, so feel free to tell me to butt out, but is it a case of one staff member will potentially provide a better or preferable service to you over another. Or you've built up a relationship with one that once they move on is hard to replace with another member?
post #16 of 19 Old 03-13-2013, 04:36 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Don't want appear nosey, so feel free to tell me to butt out, but is it a case of one staff member will potentially provide a better or preferable service to you over another. Or you've built up a relationship with one that once they move on is hard to replace with another member?
A bit of both, however if you never have any contact with the replacement, it is hard to continue the relationship with that dealer.
post #17 of 19 Old 03-13-2013, 08:53 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
A bit of both, however if you never have any contact with the replacement, it is hard to continue the relationship with that dealer.
Boxer, since we're on this topic.

On this side of the world, we tend to maintain relationships with the individual and not the dealer. Quite a few have a name for themselves and tend to move around like football stars. We tend to value early acquisitions, and, with some, access to rarities. That's the accepted 'norm' of the relationship here.

Is this the same case on the Continent?

If anyone's ever in Dubai, do give Al Ain motors a call and take a tour. It would be interesting to see how the dealership experience differs.
post #18 of 19 Old 03-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
There is a group in the UK called Ride Drive which uses off duty police officers to give road tuition. You might see if there is something similar in your area.
Seconded. I've used them a couple of times and really enjoyed it, as well as learned a lot.
post #19 of 19 Old 03-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramy View Post
Boxer, since we're on this topic.

On this side of the world, we tend to maintain relationships with the individual and not the dealer. Quite a few have a name for themselves and tend to move around like football stars. We tend to value early acquisitions, and, with some, access to rarities. That's the accepted 'norm' of the relationship here.

Is this the same case on the Continent?

If anyone's ever in Dubai, do give Al Ain motors a call and take a tour. It would be interesting to see how the dealership experience differs.
Here it is a bit of both.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode