Anybody know literary agent in UK who knows Ferraris? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 02-19-2012, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 66
Anybody know literary agent in UK who knows Ferraris?

I'm talking about somebody who, when you say "tour de france," doesn't think of a bicycle race. The reason I am asking is that I have an action thriller novel I just wrote about the inner works of the Ferrari collecting world and would like to find a literary agent who could represent it in the UK. I thought when I optioned my previous bio of a racer to some UK TV folk that it would open some doors, but nothing happened so far so I'm reaching out to find that one agent who attends Ferrari events like Goodwood...

and thanks for any tips,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Have you tried Brookland Books?
post #3 of 19 Old 02-20-2012, 04:31 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 53
I don't know if he's a member here, but look for Nathan Beehl, wrote a great 512 book a couple years ago that he got published in the UK.

Nathan Beehl's Page - The Vintage Racing League

Very nice guy, great technical author, might be able to help.

post #4 of 19 Old 02-20-2012, 05:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
Another suggestion would be to seek out the more commonly known authors.... Marcel Massini, Keith Bluemel, or Matthias Bartz who just published the Dino Compendium. The latter was published in Germany but I figured there may be a network of individuals there that can help.

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....

Last edited by barcheta; 02-20-2012 at 06:43 AM.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-20-2012, 05:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 573
Why don't you self publish the title? Yep, buy an ISBN for $125 and publish it electronically to the iBookstore, Amazon, etc. You can either do-it-yourself or pay Lulu.com.

What is a traditional bookseller going to do for you? Get it on bookstore shelves? Bricks-n-mortar, meh...really? Apple and Amazon will get you online all over the world.
post #6 of 19 Old 02-20-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcheta View Post
Another suggestion would be to seek out the more commonly known authors.... Marcel Massini, Keith Bluemel, or Matthias Bartz who just published the Dino Compendium. The latter was published in Germany but I figured there may be a network of individuals there that can help.
Matthias self published. I think his initial investment was about $20K.

Does Marcel post here?

D
post #7 of 19 Old 02-20-2012, 08:18 AM
Owner

So this is interesting. I didn't know thats the route he took. Was there as issue with working with a publishing house that made it a better decision to go his own way? I don't think Marcel posts over here currently, but the name drop was more for the community he represents outside of the forums.

Electronic publishing is the future but for myself and I think many others still like the tactile feel of handling a printed book.

post #8 of 19 Old 02-20-2012, 09:59 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
pretty sure you can self publish and then when someone buys, they print it up and mail it to them.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #9 of 19 Old 02-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
pretty sure you can self publish and then when someone buys, they print it up and mail it to them.
Maybe I'm missing something but from all my years in publishing, its not quite that cut and dry. All the cost is in the setup.... printing, plates, presstime, paper, binding, distribution.... through amazon or apple.... also cost a percentage... Though there have been several advances in terms of light offset but for the most part, it's fairly cost prohibitive for many folks.... and have anything that looks like a quality product.

post #10 of 19 Old 02-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Owner
Elite Member

I order one off photo books for under $10 all the time. not sure why text would be any different. I am not an expert on this. First google link:

Self Publish a Book - Lulu.com

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #11 of 19 Old 02-20-2012, 10:29 AM
Owner

enlightening.... where are they published?

post #12 of 19 Old 02-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Owner
Elite Member

china is my guess. but now a days there is no set up. you simply type or upload pics into a template and the machine prints out the pages. it's pretty easy to bind them after that. They don't proofread or do any set up. I would imagine it could be streamlined with software and templates to go through the whole process without a human at the company doing anything. Again, no expert.

post #13 of 19 Old 02-20-2012, 10:44 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
china is my guess. but now a days there is no set up. you simply type or upload pics into a template and the machine prints out the pages. it's pretty easy to bind them after that. They don't proofread or do any set up. I would imagine it could be streamlined with software and templates to go through the whole process without a human at the company doing anything. Again, no expert.
Yep that's probably the case.... just straight manufacturing. Another craft lost to low production cost. Sending jobs over there was just catching on when I got out of it.

Back to Bitzman... curious as to what the ultimate target audience for this would be? You mentioned UKTV folks for I'm guessing another project you were developing. Do you have bigger plans past a book for this?

Last edited by barcheta; 02-20-2012 at 01:19 PM.
post #14 of 19 Old 02-21-2012, 08:18 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Eggo View Post
Why don't you self publish the title? Yep, buy an ISBN for $125 and publish it electronically to the iBookstore, Amazon, etc. You can either do-it-yourself or pay Lulu.com.

What is a traditional bookseller going to do for you? Get it on bookstore shelves? Bricks-n-mortar, meh...really? Apple and Amazon will get you online all over the world.
+ 1

My wife used lulu.com to publish her first book, "I Married an Idiot"

Two volume set.

My book will be out in time for Xmas entitled "I'm the Idiot She Married"

And yes, I am being very serious.

Makes a great wedding (or anniversary) gift.
post #15 of 19 Old 02-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Owner
Elite Member

post #16 of 19 Old 02-22-2012, 01:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Have you tried Brookland Books?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanioGrigio View Post
I don't know if he's a member here, but look for Nathan Beehl, wrote a great 512 book a couple years ago that he got published in the UK...
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcheta View Post
Another suggestion would be to seek out the more commonly known authors.... Marcel Massini, Keith Bluemel, or Matthias Bartz who just published the Dino Compendium...
Since the OP is looking to publish a work of fiction and all the above relate to non-fiction they won't be any good. To find a publisher or agent you need to consult the relevant directories and then approach those that cover the right area. This sort of thing: Directory of UK and Irish Publishers

Jonathan
post #17 of 19 Old 02-22-2012, 07:41 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
uBrooklands Books - Publishers of Motor Books for the Enthsiast

I recommend Brooklands, they published our Buyer's Portfolio a few years back and were a pleasure to work with. They do all the books for Road & Track.
post #18 of 19 Old 02-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtremlett View Post
Since the OP is looking to publish a work of fiction and all the above relate to non-fiction they won't be any good. To find a publisher or agent you need to consult the relevant directories and then approach those that cover the right area. This sort of thing: Directory of UK and Irish Publishers

Jonathan
Good point, I'd still at least talk to Brooklands, they will give you a strait answer and tell him if they are interested or recommend someone that could do it.
post #19 of 19 Old 02-23-2012, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtremlett View Post

Jonathan
I dunno Jonathan,

At least to get started, might be easier to talk to a friendly face than a nameless publisher.

At least the couple guys listed here, along with the publishers, will allow the OP to name drop and start a conversation.

D

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode