UK Numberplates - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-22-2011, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 38
UK Numberplates

looking around the old cars at Goodwood last weekend, it struck me how ugly full sized numberplates are on the front of these old cars. I did, however, notice quite a few front numberplates that looked like they had spent a couple of hours on boil wash - both the plate size, and the letters, were approx half size.
so...
1) does anyone know whether there is any legal way of shrinking letter size (perhaps only for cars registered before xxxx?) or is it always illegal
2) where can I get the boil wash plates?

Pic below is my candidate for a smaller front plate

thanks
Tony
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-22-2011, 06:42 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
I'm not entirely sure but I think in the UK smaller plates are completely illegal, however... whilst no front plate is also illegal, as far as I know the penalties for having no plate at all are far less (and don't involve points on your licence) than for actually having one that is the wrong size.

I'm sure a UK FL member will be along shortly to clarify that....

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #3 of 8 Old 09-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
When I lived in the UK (6 years, 80s and early 90s), it was legal to have US size plates made to fit inside US license plate holders. Not sure if that was a special dispensation or not.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

post #4 of 8 Old 09-22-2011, 12:49 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt View Post
looking around the old cars at Goodwood last weekend, it struck me how ugly full sized numberplates are on the front of these old cars. I did, however, notice quite a few front numberplates that looked like they had spent a couple of hours on boil wash - both the plate size, and the letters, were approx half size.
so...
1) does anyone know whether there is any legal way of shrinking letter size (perhaps only for cars registered before xxxx?) or is it always illegal
2) where can I get the boil wash plates?

Pic below is my candidate for a smaller front plate

thanks
Tony
I have seen a few E-Types and F40s with mini front plates/stickers or no plates at all.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-30-2011, 11:45 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 36
My Testarossa also has a smaller front plate.
It was supplied with the car and it has the suppliers name printed in it so I guess it must be legal.

P
post #6 of 8 Old 10-04-2011, 12:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 17
The legal requirements are that letters must be a height of 79mm (3 1/8 inches), motorbikes should be 64mm. Pre-war cars and from memory up to the 60's can be 3 1/2 inches high.
It's quite common to see motorbike size letters on U.S. cars (Corvettes, Mustangs, etc) as they fit the number plate frame better. This size also fits the Japanese market imports as well. The even smaller size seen on some Alfas, Ferraris, etc are definitely illegal. However it would take a hypercritical officer to give you a ticket for it.

To obtain plates just Google - custom number plates
post #7 of 8 Old 10-22-2011, 04:55 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 12
Number plates

The UK has tightened up the position on number plates - lettering has to be stock size with name of plate supplier on." FUNNY " plates are illegal for road use.
The only exception is foreign import with no suitable mounting point ( ie the F40 ) which can take a reduced lettering size - its bigger than a motocycle plate but not very common.
There is a link on the DVLA site after some searching.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-30-2011, 02:45 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
I also heard via one of the Ferrari dealers that one of there salesman got a GBP 1000 fine for not having a front number plate. Thought the max was GBP 60.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode