Testarossa "Shifting" - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 05-11-2009, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 157
Testarossa "Shifting"

Just recently took possesion of my "Red Head", a 1991 Testarossa. I really like the car.....except for the transmission shifting!. Do you have to be Mario Andretti to shift this car "Smoothly". I also own a 1972 Detomaso Pantera with the German "ZF" transmission, which to me is "Light Years" more user friendly when it comes to ease of shifting. The previous owner used a special Shell Oil and an aftermarket additive to improve shifting...But to me "It still Stinks"...any advice out there to improve the shifting???, One of the greatest joys to me is...Going through the gears "Seemlessly", and at this point in time that seems an improbability.....HELP!!!. Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 05-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead Seeker View Post
Just recently took possesion of my "Red Head", a 1991 Testarossa. I really like the car.....except for the transmission shifting!. Do you have to be Mario Andretti to shift this car "Smoothly". I also own a 1972 Detomaso Pantera with the German "ZF" transmission, which to me is "Light Years" more user friendly when it comes to ease of shifting. The previous owner used a special Shell Oil and an aftermarket additive to improve shifting...But to me "It still Stinks"...any advice out there to improve the shifting???, One of the greatest joys to me is...Going through the gears "Seemlessly", and at this point in time that seems an improbability.....HELP!!!. Mark
As far as i know you better get used to it, i've had mine 6 years and it's a hard change and not quick and dont even get me started on the clutch........jeez. These are great cars but not an easy drive, i keep thinking about changing for a 355 but cant bring myself to sell the Testa.
post #3 of 28 Old 05-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Practice. You will get used to it. Does take a firm hand and stay away from 2nd until the tranmission is warm.

P.S. If you think the TR is a challenge, try a Boxer.

post #4 of 28 Old 05-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
My 308's just as bad and from memory the 328 wasn't any better, but it does get a bit easier the more you use it and practice, and if you let the car warm up for 10 minutes before you drive it.
The hardest part for me to master was the dog leg up- change from 1-2 and 3-4 as they don't seem natural compared to a normal road car gearbox where you would go straight down for those gears. However, many manual shift single seater track cars have a similar set up, so there must be a good reason why the gearbox is arse about face.
It's all part of the Ferrari experience, and despite their little faults we still love them because they are still Ferrari's.

Archie
post #5 of 28 Old 05-12-2009, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Warm Up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
My 308's just as bad and from memory the 328 wasn't any better, but it does get a bit easier the more you use it and practice, and if you let the car warm up for 10 minutes before you drive it.
The hardest part for me to master was the dog leg up- change from 1-2 and 3-4 as they don't seem natural compared to a normal road car gearbox where you would go straight down for those gears. However, many manual shift single seater track cars have a similar set up, so there must be a good reason why the gearbox is arse about face.
It's all part of the Ferrari experience, and despite their little faults we still love them because they are still Ferrari's.
I am unsure as to the concept of letting the "Car" warm up before driving. I understand the "engine" preforming better after a "warm up", but doesn't the transmission have to be engaged and rotating in order for the transmission to "warm up"?, just in neutral while the engine idles, doesn't warm the gearbox oil, Does it???, A curious Middle Agged Mind needs answers!...Thanks to all as "Always"...Mark ps the shift configuration in my Detomaso Pantera is the same as the Testarossa, yet the "ZF" transmission shifts "FLAWLESSLY"!!!....Love that German gearbox!!!

Last edited by Redhead Seeker; 05-12-2009 at 07:19 PM. Reason: addition
post #6 of 28 Old 05-12-2009, 11:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
I will leave the answer to the warm up question to an expert as I am not an engineer.
However, I have found that leaving the car to warm up for 10 minutes makes the gear shifting a lot smoother, especially the shift to 2nd.

I'm sure Hill Engineering in the Uk make a metal plate for the open gate which is supposed to make shifting easier as the forks on the gate are slightly angled giving bias to the upshift gears. I think is is approx 60 GBP. I might get one myself, and a nice shiny steel or aluminium ball for the stick.

http://www.hillengineering.co.uk/catalog/

Archie
post #7 of 28 Old 05-13-2009, 07:16 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Mark

You need to have the tranny oil changed.

It's time for Redline.
post #8 of 28 Old 05-13-2009, 05:03 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
If you decide to change the trans lube, use Redline 75W90NS. This will improve things a bit. The reason that a TR gearbox must "warm up" for a better 2nd gear, is because the slider shaft goes into a blind hole, that is, a hole without an oil outlet. So when the oil is cold it's also thicker, making 2nd gear a bit more difficult. Once the oil is warm, 2nd gear is much easier. But I have notice a couple of cars that shifted great into 2nd gear even when cold, but the majority of TRs have the "skip 2nd till warm" issue. Another issue on the TR is the shifter adjustment. When in neutral, the shifter must be "centered" within the shifter gate, both side-to-side and front-to-back. If the shifter is not centered, then an adjustement is needed. Adjusting the shifter on a TR take a bit of patience, and maybe 2 or 3 tries to get perfect. But it's well worth the effort.

Driving the TR and getting smooth takes a lot of practice. Matching revs from one gear to the next can be done by "ear" and once you get the hang of it - believe me it will be smooth. The TR will never shift like a ZF trans, or even like a good Muncie. Another factor most do not consider is, that the TR's shifter is adjustable forward/backwards and also rotationally. Under hard acceleration, the flat-12 motor torque is lifting the left side and pushing down on the right side, effectively rotating the motor slightly - and changing the way the shifter will operate at that instant. You definately cannot "bang the gears" in a TR, but then again the car wasn't intended to be a drag racer.

On my first TR it took me a few weeks of serious practice to get smooth, but once I did it was just wonderful and effortless. Oh how I miss my TR!
post #9 of 28 Old 05-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy View Post
If you decide to change the trans lube, use Redline 75W90NS. ---
Hey. Don't go stealing my thunder. That's always my advice.

Redline makes a huge difference no question especially in the 360/430 transmissions.

Great explanation of the TR tranny.

Mark, you listening?
post #10 of 28 Old 05-13-2009, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Carguy's words are like the "Pope's" to a Catholic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
Hey. Don't go stealing my thunder. That's always my advice.

Redline makes a huge difference no question especially in the 360/430 transmissions.

Great explanation of the TR tranny.

Mark, you listening?
Without sounding "Mushy", I can say without equivocation that I am both honored and humbled by the comradery and support I have received and be given by numerous Ferrari Life members. I have contacted Carguy (Jeff) on "numerous" occasions and have "ALWAYS" been treated as if I was a life long friend. The information I have personally received from Jeff and other Ferrari Life members is indeed invaluable, along with being hands on and insightful. To me Ferrari Life represents a Gobal connection with some of the finest Ferrari Minds in the "WORLD"....A price cannot be placed on that. That is why I will be forever indebted to all those that have given freely and generously with their knowledge in the past and for their contributions that are forth-coming. To "ALL" I say a "Great Thanks"!!!...Mark
post #11 of 28 Old 05-13-2009, 11:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Sounds like someone needs a group hug..

Everybody sing

Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya
Oh lord, kumbaya

Ya F-life folk are pretty cool to say the least..

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #12 of 28 Old 05-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
Sounds like someone needs a group hug..

Everybody sing

Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya
Oh lord, kumbaya

Ya F-life folk are pretty cool to say the least..
Someone was out of key on that last kumbaya.

"The ride is the reason. The destination is just the excuse! " - Mr. Joe Katz
post #13 of 28 Old 05-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Owner

Yes that was I.

I had gas!!!
post #14 of 28 Old 05-16-2009, 04:00 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Quote:
Yes that was I.

I had gas!!!
Well excuse you

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #15 of 28 Old 05-16-2009, 04:01 PM
Owner

No excuse necessary.

It did pass!!!
post #16 of 28 Old 05-29-2009, 08:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Practice. You will get used to it. Does take a firm hand and stay away from 2nd until the tranmission is warm.

P.S. If you think the TR is a challenge, try a Boxer.
+1 ...... it takes getting used to ..... the more practice the better! I drove a 512TR and it was tough initially ..... after a while one can 'feel' what the gearbox wants .

Quote:
Mark

You need to have the tranny oil changed.

It's time for Redline.
+2 ....... just changing the gearbox oil makes a difference for the better ...... using Redline, takes it over the top !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead Seeker View Post
Without sounding "Mushy", I can say without equivocation that I am both honored and humbled by the comradery and support I have received and be given by numerous Ferrari Life members. I have contacted Carguy (Jeff) on "numerous" occasions and have "ALWAYS" been treated as if I was a life long friend. The information I have personally received from Jeff and other Ferrari Life members is indeed invaluable, along with being hands on and insightful. To me Ferrari Life represents a Gobal connection with some of the finest Ferrari Minds in the "WORLD"....A price cannot be placed on that. That is why I will be forever indebted to all those that have given freely and generously with their knowledge in the past and for their contributions that are forth-coming. To "ALL" I say a "Great Thanks"!!!...Mark
This place does indeed rock!!! The people here are knowledgeable and respectful ....... I too feel fortunate to dwell in such a great place .
post #17 of 28 Old 05-29-2009, 09:09 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothspeed View Post
---This place does indeed rock!!! The people here are knowledgeable and respectful ---
Knowledgeable yes.

Respectful? Well maybe!!!
post #18 of 28 Old 05-29-2009, 09:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 453
Are Testarossas meant to be shifted I gave up trying to shift my old Testarossa, but when it did shift it reved happily round to 9-10 RPM in all gears
Pics show 1st gear, 2nd gear and 3rd gear.
Attached Images

post #19 of 28 Old 05-29-2009, 11:26 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
How did you get around the rev limited? I may be mistaken but thought it would have cut in around 9000 rom, if not earlier.
post #20 of 28 Old 05-30-2009, 01:27 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
How did you get around the rev limited? I may be mistaken but thought it would have cut in around 9000 rom, if not earlier.
Cuts in at just before 7000rpm but IIRC Chaz's was disconnected, i've seen these pics before bloody amazing what can be had seems the rev limiters are set a bit too low?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode