Best Exhaust System For 1991 Testarossa - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-26-2009, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 157
Best Exhaust System For 1991 Testarossa

Recently purchased a 1991 Testarossa "Red Head", would greatly appreciate fellow Testarossa Owners input on their thoughts/experiences, on the best exhaust system/systems for this car. Does the cost for an aftermarket system ($2,000.00 to $5,000.00) worth the potential "horsepower gain"?, or is this money better spent in other areas, as far as horsepower/performance gains?, Thank You in advance for your thoughts and considerations, hope all is well with you and the one's you cherish...Mark, Ex "Red Head Seeker"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-03-2009, 10:13 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
Exhaust "can" make a difference, all you have to do is research a little. There are several exhaust however that are just a waist... In the past month we've removed a few fabspeeds and replaced them with our line of exhaust. We guaranteed them performance and that's what they got.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Mark

The main problems with most aftermarket exhaust systems are:

a) manufacturers do not post actual gains to verify their claims
b) most systems are designed for a particular sound and not actual performance.

Are they worth the $? My statement is no in a general way.

I have found the designs to be poor and all follow a similar design path.

Let me assure you that I state these facts from years of experience of designing free flow exhaust systems. So I do speak from actual experience.

Speak with folks who have any of the models actually installed. Don't buy sales hype. For the prices of these mufflers everyone wants to sell one to you.

post #4 of 11 Old 05-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Owner

Oz did a fabulous job with this set-up.

What about CA smog, Oz, how does it do?
post #5 of 11 Old 05-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Owner

So which are the OBDII compliant cats?

No CEL? That's the whole point! DAH! That's why I want to know how to avoid the CEL!
post #6 of 11 Old 05-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 183
Yes I have over 200 miles with no CEL ............. ............ and yes my CEL light works ..........

Last edited by gothspeed; 05-04-2009 at 02:49 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Owner

That's great news but which are the OBDII compliant cats?

Fabspeed, etc?
post #8 of 11 Old 05-04-2009, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 157
Must be missing "Oz's posts

gcalo; Greg I must be missing Oz's posts, I see that you are conversing with Oz, yet his posts are not displayed. I appreciate your well thought-out and fact based response. I also am curious, as to why "ALL" aftermarket exhaust manufacturers would not advertise their products "horsepower gains", unless of course their product/products do very little if any, in the way of "horsepower gain/gains. I know one thing as being factual, if I was an exhaust system manufacturer and my product gave you an increase in horsepower, I would "Definately" advertise it as such!!!. Mark
post #9 of 11 Old 05-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead Seeker View Post
gcalo; Greg I must be missing Oz's posts, I see that you are conversing with Oz, yet his posts are not displayed. I appreciate your well thought-out and fact based response.
Mark

Oz and I are old friends. He's also making reference to a very complete post of this system he did on another site.

Quote:
---I also am curious, as to why "ALL" aftermarket exhaust manufacturers would not advertise their products "horsepower gains", unless of course their product/products do very little if any, in the way of "horsepower gain/gains.
You answered this question! They certainly do not want to see results for obvious reasons.

Quote:
---I know one thing as being factual, if I was an exhaust system manufacturer and my product gave you an increase in horsepower, I would "Definately" advertise it as such!!!.
BINGO! You hit the nail on the head. Ask the manufacturers to respond and see what you get for an answer.

Look at the ridiculous prices of these mufflers as well. Some are as high as $10,000.00! Is that ridiculous for a muffler or what?

It's return on investment! The bigger the return the better and keep everyone in the dark as to the reality.

Every free flow muffler I had designed was tested by independent groups at the time and found to exceed the claims I had made about gas mileage increase and HP increases.

Nothing was hidden there.

Oz is very talented. He has a beautiful 355 spider for which he has made this exhaust system. I believe he did a 348 system as well but I do not know anything about a Testarossa system.

You'll have to ask him.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-05-2009, 05:21 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
I had a Borla system on my last TR, and it did definately improve the performance a bit, you could feel the difference as well as hear it. But I would estimate the improvement was small, maybe 15hp to 20hp, the engine did rev quicker than it did with the stock exhaust. Any system that reduces weight is good for the TR, since these are heavy cars and most of the weight is at the rear. Keeping the stock system, and just gutting out the precats and cats will get you a few ponies, as well as greatly reduce the heat in the engine bay. The TR's stock headers are pretty good and don't need changing. As for the precats, there are factory "precat-delete" pipes out there but they are EXPENSIVE! I would just gut out the stock ones, they flow decent as is.

Keep in mind, when a free-flowing exhaust is installed on a TR, you may need to adjust the fuel mixture slightly richer to compensate, or you could get a "lean" condition in certain situations. To do this properly you will need a 4-Gas Analyzer or take it to a shop so equiped. What ever system you use, you MUST have bungs for the O2 sensors, the TR's fuel management system needs that feedback. If you remove the cats, you can also remove the thermocouples and their ECUs - they won't be needed anymore.

I do agree with most - aftermarket exhaust systems for Ferraris are WAY overpriced for what you get. I think the Kreisiegg (not sure of spelling?) is the MOST expensive system on the market at around $9,000 or so - it's a complicated system that makes that "F-1" sound many people are after.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-05-2009, 07:00 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy View Post
--- it's a complicated system that makes that "F-1" sound many people are after.
This is my exact point.

These absurdly expensive systems are designed for a particular "sound" rather than being designed for a particular function.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode