Hints on how to improve the running of your TR - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 12-01-2008, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 298
Hints on how to improve the running of your TR

Any suggestions on how to improve the running of your Testarossa, 512 TR, or 512 M?

Resources: Parts List | Buyer's Guides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
Use electrical connection "enhancor" Stabilant-22

Testarossa electronics are sensitive to corrosion, oxidation, and any other malady that can diminish connections. It's always a good idea to periodically disconnect/reconnect the numerous connections in the engine bay, to keep contact surfaces fresh. The product Stabilant-22 can help improve things a bit. Simply use a Q-Tip or similar applicator to put a small daub of the stuff at each connector, and then replug things back together.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
Inspect Fuel Pump and Cooling Fan connections!

As many know the electrical "mother board" on the Testarossa is prone to over-heating in the Fuel Pumps and Cooling Fans circuits. It's a good idea to periodically inspect these circuits for burned connections. The mother board is located in the trunk, behind the vertical panel at the rear of the compartment. Pop open the access door, and unplug the long white connector strips at the bottom of the board. Look for burned or "brown" connectors.

The connections are made by a sort of a "pincers" and "blade" combination. If everything looks okay, be sure that the "pincers" are squeezed together sufficiently for a good connection to the "blade". If the "pincers" have a gap, carefully bend them shut gain.

The factory method of making these connections is inadequate for the current draw of the fuel pumps and cooling fans. If the "pincers" become opened up slightly, then there may be arcing. As the arcing continues, heat builds up, as heat builds up, the pincers open more, which leads to more arcing, which leads to more heat.....and it snowballs from there. The next thing you know....your car is stumbling, idling erratically, or your cooling fans are not coming on at the appropriate time.

My TR started occasionally running erratically...and burned connections was the problem. I bypassed the mother board (but still used the relays of course) for these circuits and used good, solid male/female connectors. Never had any problems since.

post #4 of 8 Old 12-04-2008, 04:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 27
More info here on fuse panel repairs:

http://www.ferrariaustralia.com/Tech...el_repairs.htm
post #5 of 8 Old 04-13-2010, 08:42 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 116
I just had Dave helms redo my fusebox and it cured allot of issues and no longer winch when my fans kick on. Dave did a great job and no more worries going forward.

http://www.scuderiarampante.com/

1992 Black Lamborghini Diablo
1992 Red Ferrari 512TR
post #6 of 8 Old 06-18-2010, 03:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 187
I too am running the Dave Helms modified circuit board.
All of the high amp circuits are stand alone with their own dedicated power supply and fuses.
No more heat, no more melted terminals and delaminated circuit boards.

I am currently finishing up on the Gold Connector kit installation he designed to alleviate the weak corroded connectors throughout the engine bay, all of which are crucial to a good running car. Testing soon.

His Nomex fuel hose is pretty nice too. Easy to install and impervious to the ethanol in today's fuel.

http://www.scuderiarampanteinnovatio...solutions.html

SPASSO
308 V-12 Conversion click here.
"Oh yes, that is one of the very best ways to break these and it is also pretty dangerous. You really shouldn't do that". - mk e.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-01-2010, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergts1998 View Post
I just had Dave helms redo my fusebox and it cured allot of issues and no longer winch when my fans kick on. Dave did a great job and no more worries going forward.

http://www.scuderiarampante.com/
Does the Diablo have the same issues wiht the fuse board?

Resources: Parts List | Buyer's Guides
post #8 of 8 Old 07-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamtaylor View Post
Does the Diablo have the same issues wiht the fuse board?
Not that I know of. I have heard of issues with cooked ECUs though.

SPASSO
308 V-12 Conversion click here.
"Oh yes, that is one of the very best ways to break these and it is also pretty dangerous. You really shouldn't do that". - mk e.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode