1990 Testarossa Torque Loss - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 11-03-2008, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 11
1990 Testarossa Torque Loss

Have a cherry Testarossa that runs fine when warmed up, but doesn't advance when I step on the gas pedal. Although it accelerates smoothly, it doesn't have the torque that should kick in when you step on the pedal. It did for a while, then it disappeared. The car is also hard starting.
I was wondering if this might be the sign of a bad ECU....any thoughts out there?
The car operates well when warmed up, it just doesn't have the spark advance that gives it that torque as you wind through the gears.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
Bill
You can also direct responses to my email - [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
The sudden loss of power, while still running smoothly, is usually ignition related. It's also possibly a vacuum issue. The fact is....the U.S. spec. TRs with K-Jet fuel injection are quite complex, there are many little components that must work for everything to function at optimum. Off the top of my head, here is a grocery list of items to try. It's very hard to diagnose the problem over the internet....so.....

Verify there is spark at both cylinder banks, maybe use a timing light for this.

Check the coil lead wires, sometimes they slip down out of the coil, or deteriorate.

Unplug & Replug all of the electrical connectors in the engine bay, there are a lot of em.

Check all vacuum hoses for any damage, or any that may be disconnected.

At the mother board in the trunk, check the white connectors at the bottom of the board for burned connections, particularly for the fuel pump circuits.

Check things out and let us know what you find.....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode