1990 testarossa purchase - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11-02-2008, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
1990 testarossa purchase

Hi, I am new to the forum and would appreciate any input/advice on the coming purchase of this testarossa. I am a Corvette girl with hands on practical experince in working on my cars. I am up to #5 corvette the c5 and my 1st was a '73 which I worked on and maintained myself. My Fiance' is in the process of purchasing a 1990 Testarossa (red of course) for my engagaement present. The Car has only 2300 miles on it has been garaged most of its life and is being offered at $55k..an unbelieveable Deal! Obviously I am excited..but also practical and want to know what I am in for for proper maintenance. I have just spent the last 6 hours going thru the web and have a pretty good idea judging from all the assorted "horror" stories I have just read.. but with this car having such low mileage and from what the dealer is showing me impecable service records, my instincts tell me she will probably not be much trouble. The dealer is doing the cam belts as we speak and is including that fee in the selling price..So, my question after such a long diatribe is "should I look forward to owning this gorgeous piece of machinery, or should I be in fear?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-02-2008, 06:08 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Run away and fast…..every piece of rubber on that car is probably cracked or just waiting to crack, fuel lines will be a problem and all seals on everything that sits in oil like gearbox, rear end. The suspension is probably seized and tires dried out, electrical is probably frail and probably waiting to catch fire. Just to be sure, the dealer should not be charging you for the major. Due to the low price, they should include it in the price and not on top of that. Personally I would bring it to another Ferrari dealer for a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection). Testarossa's are great cars when driven and taken care of. Service history doesn't mean much when a car sits there and rots away.

Personally I would not buy a car with such low mileage on it without going through it with a fine tooth comb because a Testarossa can be a cash cow eating as much as the car is worth…I would run but that's just me.

~

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari
post #3 of 10 Old 11-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
That is very low miles for a '90. Agree with Mario, take a second look for another Testarossa and you'll probably find something better.

post #4 of 10 Old 11-03-2008, 01:51 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,129
I am not quite as negative as my two learned friends. This TR is either a great buy or a financial black hole. Get an independent pre purchase inspection done by a 3rd party you trust. Also insist on a long demanding test drive. This might just be one of the rare low mileage Ferraris that have been maintained to the highest standards, run regularily to keep the mechanicals/electrics in good condition, and stored properly. Unlikely but possible.

Before going any further though, check the age of the tires and make sure the general condition of the interior matches the mileage. A low mileage Ferrari with a worn interior is a good indication that it might have been clocked. Tires that are more than 8-10 years old will be hard as a rock, generally unsafe, and telling as to how the car has been maintained.

Last edited by Boxer; 11-03-2008 at 01:57 AM.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-03-2008, 02:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
After all of the above sage advices, may I add another perspective to ponder. That is, does it have to be a Testa, or are you interested in this offer solely on the mileage and asking price ? What purpose would this possible Testa be put to ? In other words, your driving needs and reality. I think these are some other realistic points you may need to consider. I still remember, when I got my first Ferrari ('97 F355B), I was in the same disposition as you are in now. Soon after the purchase, "small" things like squeaking sound of leather parts rubbing during drive, used to bug me. I'd call the dealer and his answer was refreshingly unexpected,...it's an Italian car, don't let those things bother you. Now, after few F cars, I think I am much more tolerant and hopefully enlightened in whatever ways positive. Enjoy the searching and future purchase, whether it may a Testa or some other F cars. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #6 of 10 Old 11-04-2008, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Many Thanks to all who answered me..alittle more info as follows..the tires are brand new, the cam service is being included in the price..the interior doesnt even have a scratch on it..the dash is perfect, the sound system is still original and not been updated
(back to listening to cassettes..haha)..and 1 thing i neglected to mention..I live in Palm Beach, Florida..home to many Ferraris and several dealerships with alot of service options..also the home of the Breakers, where the Ferrari Cavallino takes place every January..this car will be driven everyday approx 10 miles or so up and down the island of Palm Beach..I am keeping my Corvette for the dog and longer errands like going to Miami..so I really think owning the Testa would be great fun
post #7 of 10 Old 11-04-2008, 07:15 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank5 View Post
I live in Palm Beach, Florida..home to many Ferraris and several dealerships with alot of service options..also the home of the Breakers, where the Ferrari Cavallino takes place every January..this car will be driven everyday approx 10 miles or so up and down the island of Palm Beach..I am keeping my Corvette for the dog and longer errands like going to Miami..so I really think owning the Testa would be great fun
It wil definitely be fun. It should be fine with the daily short runs but do take it out for a good long hard run every couple of weeks.

You might check with "William H" as he is in your area and might know the TR.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
frank5,

Regardless of which Testarossa you decide to buy, I highly recommend a PPI. While a low mileage car may look like it's in Mint condition from the outside, there could be gremlins hiding in other places. In the long-run this will save you lots of headaches and money.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank5 View Post
the tires are brand new, the cam service is being included in the price..the interior doesnt even have a scratch on it..the dash is perfect, the sound system is still original and not been updated
Like I said earlier, have all other components verified besides the engine as well. Everything else might look nice and shinny but once used, you can start having MAJOR issues. As an example, a suspension that has not been used, with a car of that weight, when going for a good ride, things might start to break/leak and god forbid...catch fire. Get a PPI done. Like I said, they are great cars but can be a financial nightmare in repairs costs going way over the price of the car.

Good luck and keep us posted.....

~

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari
post #10 of 10 Old 11-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
I tend to have a somewhat optomistic point of view like BOXER mentioned earlier. It could turn out to be an incredible car. All of the suspect rubber components can be replaced during the major service. If the car has been in a climate controlled environment - that would help things a bit too. If it was started and run periodically, as well as moved around a bit, things might be in good shape. I am a huge Testarossa fan and would love the opportunity to look at a car like that for that price! Please let us know what happens....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode