Buying a Testarossa - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 08-02-2008, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
Buying a Testarossa

Hello

I have found a 1991 Testarossa with 22k miles on it. I would appreciate any and all advice on what I need to be aware of and ask the seller about this model/year - price is under 60k - I am not sure what to watch out for as this will be my first Ferrari purchase (if it passes muster) - but I need some serious help from this forum of experts

Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-04-2008, 05:44 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 11
Testarossa purchase

I bought mine in December of last year (90). It is a real cherry all throughout. Mechanically, I would watch out for the fuse box. They have a history of going bad. Also, the coils have a history of going out (replaced one of mine already....not cheap).
Other than that, it is an "old school" engine design and beautiful exterior design that people absolutely go nuts over when they see it.
Make sure the A/C works well, because repaiiring it can be costly..lots and lots of labor.
Drive it often, and it will be fine. Keep it in the garage, and you're going to have many problems when you do drive it. That's the secret with these cars.
Run up the RPM's every once in a while out on the road, and enjoy!!
Best of luck to you....

FYI....I am interested in going to a later model (512TR), and thus am looking to possibly sell mine if you're interested.
Bill
post #3 of 14 Old 08-05-2008, 07:39 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari_napa View Post
Hello

I have found a 1991 Testarossa with 22k miles on it. I would appreciate any and all advice on what I need to be aware of and ask the seller about this model/year - price is under 60k - I am not sure what to watch out for as this will be my first Ferrari purchase (if it passes muster) - but I need some serious help from this forum of experts

Thank you in advance!
Suggest you take a look at the TR Buyers Guide.

http://www.ferrarilife.com/library/

post #4 of 14 Old 08-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 260
My first exotic car was a 1988 Testarossa when I purchased it back in 2003 for $56K and the car had 30K miles on it. Unfortunately, I wrecked the car a year later but purchased another 1988 last year with 28K miles for $65K. The car is currently at Motorcars of Distinction (www.modexotics.com) undergoing a full engine out major service and I am installing new headers and after market exhaust (capristo 3). You get alot of car for the money. I own over 20 exotics and the Testarossa is one of my favorites, maybe it is because it was my first exotic. I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago and I ship all my exotic cars to Motorcars of Distinction because I got screwed so many times from Ferrari dealers or comedians that call themselves Ferrari techs. I would plan on spending $15K or so whenever you buy a used Ferrari, especially an older one like the Testarossa. You will not regret it. It is a blast to drive and it blows my F40 away and you cannot beat the price that these cars are going for. Alot of car for the money. My recommendation is go for it. You will not regret it. Good luck to you.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
My Testarossa is for sale....

I have a Grigio Metallic / Tan 1989 Testarossa for sale. The car is very solid and reliable. The last major service was done in 2006 so the car has 3 or 4 years of good driving ahead. The car has just over 40k miles on it....and if you know these cars.....they must be driven to stay in shape. Cars that sit around will have problems. My car has Ferrari 360 Modena wheels and tires on it....which really update the look of the car. I do have the original wheels too. When doing the engine-out service, I restored everything to original....and used stainless fasteners through out. The engine bay looks "as new" and always impresses people. The car has the books, tool kit, jack kit, and spare wheel. There are a few issues as any 20 year old TR will have....like slow windows, a few paint chips, scuffed front spoiler.....well....that's about it. Many people on ferrerichat have seen my car and can vouch for it's condition - feel free to do a search under carguy. I'm asking $57,800 firm - and it's worth every penny. Email me at [email protected] or you can even call me at 517-278-1867. I'm located in Southern Michigan. I've tried to upload a picture but things aren't working right....
post #6 of 14 Old 08-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Owner

Okay......here is my car for sale.....
Attached Images

post #7 of 14 Old 08-06-2008, 09:06 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
That Testarossa looks amazing with the 360 rims. I didn't realize there was another member on here from Southern Michigan. Well good luck with the sale of the Testarossa

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #8 of 14 Old 08-09-2008, 02:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishawk4 View Post
That Testarossa looks amazing with the 360 rims. I didn't realize there was another member on here from Southern Michigan. Well good luck with the sale of the Testarossa

Chris
I bought my F355 last year and didn't know about all these websites and how to get advice!!!! so from that point of view you are already on a good start!!

Make sure you really do check that they have all the papers for the FSH !!!!!
I almost bought a 308 they said it had all the papers when I looked into it they have a few invoices and some MOT photocopies but no service book nothing of value

then check the things you wouldn't normally think about
like windows working
clutch
doors
electrics in the car
we have something here in the UK where you can check if the car has been in an accident etc try that too
but at the end worth paying a professional Ferrari guy to inspect it for you!!!

good luck!!!! sounds very exciting!!
post #9 of 14 Old 08-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by luluferrari21 View Post
but at the end worth paying a professional Ferrari guy to inspect it for you!!!
Very sound advice. A Ferrari can quickly bleed you dry if it is a bad one - make sure you have a nice example, though, and they are not that expensive to own and enjoy.

Good luck!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #10 of 14 Old 10-28-2008, 11:17 AM
Owner

Just "bumping" this thread back up to the top. Any developments....?
post #11 of 14 Old 11-03-2008, 06:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 11
Watch out for EVERYTHING. Testarossa's are beuatiful automobiles, and you get a lot for your money, but you'd better have some cash for repairs....
post #12 of 14 Old 11-03-2008, 06:07 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy View Post
Okay......here is my car for sale.....
carguy..can u post a video of it on youtube doing a walk-around, start-up, revs, and a drive of it? thanks
post #13 of 14 Old 11-04-2008, 03:41 AM
Owner

I would be happy to post a vid - but the car is sold - sorry. I put it on ebay and it sold in less than 24 hours - sight unseen - no PPI - the guy really wanted it bad. It is a great car and the new owner should be very happy with it.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-04-2008, 03:22 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 38
oh ok dang..i know how you feel when you let a good car go

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode