Testarossa question - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-19-2007, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 12
Testarossa question

Hi!
WHile I was reading the "buyers guid" they noted service can cost more than the price of the car. Today I see this car for 55K or so, can repairs cost this much or more? To my understanding I should expect to have the belt service performed every few years which I do not mind. What is the "worst case scenario" that I could expect? I am taking my time looking for a high quality car and have an experienced dealer searching for me. If this is the rout I take should I be relatively well protected against major problems?
Thank you!
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 9
For the scheduled major service "every 3 - 5 years depending on who you ask" expect to pay 7 -10K plus or minus a few thousand depending on where it is serviced (independent or dealer) and any unscheduled stuff clutch, fuse panel, a/c etc. The major expense would be if you had the dreaded trans/diff failure that can be between 15 -25 thousand I am told. I would have at least 20K extra in the bank for service after you buy. and budget 5K a year for maint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfimd2000 View Post
Hi!
WHile I was reading the "buyers guid" they noted service can cost more than the price of the car. Today I see this car for 55K or so, can repairs cost this much or more? To my understanding I should expect to have the belt service performed every few years which I do not mind. What is the "worst case scenario" that I could expect? I am taking my time looking for a high quality car and have an experienced dealer searching for me. If this is the rout I take should I be relatively well protected against major problems?
Thank you!
Bob
post #3 of 11 Old 06-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
sparta49 is right on target. Major services should be performed every 5 or 6 years or every 30k miles, which ever comes first. This is just a rule of thumb that works, some people go longer, and some go shorter. But I use the 5 year/30k mile rule. If you do the major yourself the total price is about $2k or less for everything. If you have a mechanic do it expect to pay $6k to $10k. The biggest issue is transaxle failure. It gets talked about but actually in my opinion this is quite rare. Again I agree with sparta49 on costs for differential replacement. A good car that has been well cared for will work out fine. Service history and documentation are key points here. The Testarossa line of cars are good ones, if treated right they are very reliable and will NOT let you down.

post #4 of 11 Old 06-20-2007, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Thank You guys!
So, since I can be a little OCD, if I have the major service performed every 20K I will spend perhaps 6K with my mechanic. Does the major include the belt service or is that a different job? Also, how often do you guys feel a clutch will need to be replaced with reasonable driving habits?
I have considered other cars and have owned many more over the years. I see the Testarossa as "the car" and I guess I can live with what I have heard so far.
Thanks!
Bob
post #5 of 11 Old 06-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Owner

Time and testimony from other TR owners is showing that the 5 year / 30k mile rule of thumb is fine for the service intervals. Yes...the service includes changing the cam timing belts and tensioners. Major leaks or other unforseen circumstances may necessitate a service sooner, but overall this schedule is fine.

Clutch wear, if your a good driver is minimal. With easy drive-offs and proper shifting, with some occasional "spirited" driving you should get 25k to 50k miles easily. This is just my opinion of course.

Read and learn all you can about these cars, get a cheapie reprint of the shop manual and study it. The more you know the better off you'll be.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-29-2007, 06:20 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy View Post
If you do the major yourself the total price is about $2k or less for everything.
This question may be slightly off topic, but how complicated is it to do the major maintenance yourself?
post #7 of 11 Old 06-29-2007, 06:50 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 167
if you have a proper shop mechanical knowledge and a service manual it should not be too bad I have yet to attempt it but I have done a lot of my own maintainance on mine the rossa is a VERY easy car to understand mechanicaly the design is very intuitive once you understand the car. I have heard the best way to remove the engine for the project is to put her in a lift and drop out the rear subframe assembly as one unit can anyone confirm this?
post #8 of 11 Old 06-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Owner

Yes, dropping the rear subframe and engine/trans/suspension out the bottom of the car is standard procedure. Or you can pull the engine/trans out the top - this way the car can be rolled around if you need to move it. I've done 3 Testarossa majors, by undoing everything and raising the car up off the rear drivetrain, and then rolling the whole works out the back. But for my next one I may try the "out the top" method.

On the later 512TR the engine must be pulled out the top because Ferrari redesigned and improved the car and did away with the removalbe subframe.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-08-2007, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, I can't wait to find the "right" car!
Best Wishes
Bob
post #10 of 11 Old 07-09-2007, 07:43 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 31
Hi. What does the recommended service entail? The Testarossa I picked up has roughly 24,000 miles, and although I was told that the major service had been completed "recently", I don't have any actual service records.

I have an excellent mechanic who has worked on my Porsche for many years, I am confident he can do the work, but would like to know what's recommended.

I purchased an owers / service manual on CD from ebay, this will likely provide some answers as well...

Thanks !
post #11 of 11 Old 07-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 167
Here is the listing of the parts from the Major service kit through Ricambi America
4 x CAM SEAL
4 x CAM O-RING
1 x SQ VAC PUMP GASKET
1 x VAC PUMP O-RING
1 x LEFT VC GASKET
1 x RIGHT VC GASKET
12 x CAM COVER O-RING
2 x TENSIONER BEARING
2 x TR TIMING BELT
2 x FUEL FILTER
1 x AIR PUMP BELT
1 x LONG DRAIN HOSE
1 x SHORT DRAIN HOSE
2 x GASKET
2 x DIST PLATE GASKET
2 x DIST SEAL
2 x DIST CAP GASKET
2 x DIST CAP BRUSH
1 x ALT BELT
1 x A/C BELT
1 x OIL FILTER
1 x WATER HOSE
1 x END PLATE GASKET
4 x CAM BOLT O-RING
1 x AIR FILTER

This is what most Ferrari dealers use in a major 30K service.

kit is $1500 from Ricambi

while it is out I guess you may want to check the plugs too

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode