89 Ferrari Testarossa ignition problem - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 11-30-2015, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
89 Ferrari Testarossa ignition problem

Help anyone out there! Having ignition problem. While driving my 89 Testarossa the engine shuts down. While under the hood the driver side ignition cable came loose from the ignition coil. But no fire after plugging it back. After towed home I measured the primary ignition coil which is 3ohms & 2nd coil is 3.6k ohms. Havenít done the spark plug crank yet. Both coils ohms readings are the same. I have cleaned all of the spark plugs and even replaced the spark plug wires and still cranks but no fire! I am not mechanic. I only know some basic stuffs. My next diagnostic ideal is the ignition module or the power module sitting directly above the coils? Please anyone out there please please help get my dream machine to fire again. I live in Kansas City, Missouri and there is no Ferrari dealer here. Thanks so much for your time
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-02-2015, 04:34 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Swap the ignition coil assemblies. The left side drives the right. So, you can disconnect the right side and the engine will run on the left, disconnect the left and the whole ignition system shuts down. If your coil assembly is the issue, once you swap them, the car should run on only the left side. Then you know what to replace. If that doesn't work, it's time to discuss more detailed diagnostics.

post #3 of 3 Old 12-02-2015, 08:56 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtcpham View Post
Help anyone out there! Having ignition problem. While driving my 89 Testarossa the engine shuts down. While under the hood the driver side ignition cable came loose from the ignition coil. But no fire after plugging it back. After towed home I measured the primary ignition coil which is 3ohms & 2nd coil is 3.6k ohms. Haven’t done the spark plug crank yet. Both coils ohms readings are the same. I have cleaned all of the spark plugs and even replaced the spark plug wires and still cranks but no fire! I am not mechanic. I only know some basic stuffs. My next diagnostic ideal is the ignition module or the power module sitting directly above the coils? Please anyone out there please please help get my dream machine to fire again. I live in Kansas City, Missouri and there is no Ferrari dealer here. Thanks so much for your time
If you need to replace ignition coils and/or modules, here is the best source for the original Magneti Marelli parts:
Ignition Coil Module Kit Ferrari Testarossa 328 Mondial 3 2 | eBay
I also have those double pronged older types of ignition coils, like the ones you have in your Testarossa.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode