Looking to buy a Testarossa - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 08-13-2005, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Looking to buy a Testarossa

I am looking to buy a Testarossa probably next year but I want to start looking now so I am ready by then. I will certainly not buy one off ebay. I hope to get a later model year. Early 90's. I take it the 512M is only the last year? What are some going prices and what are the 512M's going for? I have thought of buying a NSX but I feel it is just not enough as I want something more. I have always wanted a Countach but I tend to think owning one may be a nightmare and I also would most likely only want the 25th anniversary. I live in Milwaukee and soon will be taking a ride to Chicago to spend the day at the 2 Ferrari dealers there. Looking for input on maintenance concerns etc. I have heard the auto seat belts systems are very problem some and I may want to stay away from them. What years had them? I have heard from a few that have said the Testarossa was a very good car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-14-2005, 02:04 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 298
Mera, There is a Buyer's Guide on the Testarossa/512TR/512M in the Members section which might be of help. Good luck with your search.
post #3 of 18 Old 09-03-2005, 02:57 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 566
Hi and welcome,
Looks like you are all over the place in terms of selection: these are all very different cars, and with vastly differing prices! If you are set on a Testarossa and price is no object, the 512M is the best and last incarnation of the design. Only @500 were built: prices start in the 150's and up.
Check out the excellent buyer's guide here on FerrariForum. I, too, am considering adding a T-rossa to the stable by spring.
Aside from the M and perhaps TR variation, T-rossas are continuing a steady depreciation. Keith Martin of Sports Car Market anticipates the car will fully level out in 2 years time and hold steady from that point on.
I am informed to expect running cost for one of these to be noticeably more than an 8-cylinder. As luck would have it, I have had little trouble with my MD-QV and cannot relate as of yet!
Mera, you only go around once: get the car of your dreams! 8)

"Liberals are the pallbearers of societies"

'88.3 Testarossa
'83 Mondial QV (sold!)

post #4 of 18 Old 09-03-2005, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
I am slowly becoming more and more familiar with the Testarossa. I was not aware that they changed the name from Testarossa in 91 to the 512 TR in 92. I do remember the articles on the 512M when they were new. I see the prices are much greater when you get into the 92 and up 512's. My choice is a 91 or older. The biggest reason for this is the rim design. I just love the look of the Testarossa rims. I have to say I am sad they changed them on the 512's. Looking at prices I see the 91 and older Testarossa's are in my price range. I am well aware of the 5 year belt change schedule. Part of owning one. I will be in Chicago in about a week and a half and I'll make stops at Lake Forest (I have not yet been at their new location) and Continental Motorsports. I'm sure I'll learn a lot that day. I am looking to buy next year but I want to become educated this year. The biggest thing in buying one is becoming educated and knowing that the one you are looking at is a good one and the price is right. Mine will be red/tan also. Sorry. Has to be red/tan.

Why do I see 88 1/2's? Was there a design change that year? I certainly would prefer a 91 as it most likely has some upgrades from earlier years. Any reason to think the earlier (90 and back) are less attractive to own than a 91?
post #5 of 18 Old 09-04-2005, 12:05 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Mera, You are very right to learn as much as you can before diving in to ownership. The two best cars I have purchased both took me 9-12 months to research and find.

Regarding your question on the Testarossas, 91 was the last year of the original model run. In 92 several major changes were made and the model name was changed to 512 TR. A 90 TR will be identical to a 91 TR. I believe that there is a Buyers GUide in the Members section that has more details on all this.

Good luck with your search.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-07-2014, 10:03 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
Testarossa for sale

i have a old testarossa for sale with very low miles please email me [email protected]
post #7 of 18 Old 02-07-2014, 10:13 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Welcome to Ferrari Life. 88 1/2s got ABS, IIRC.

The 512 TR is a much improved car over the TR, with much higher power, myriads of other upgrades, and vastly better perfomance (12.8 in the 1/4 mi). Worth the extra money. A popular upgrade for TRs is 512 TR wheels, but if you like the earlier style, someone makes an 18" wheel that looks just like the 16" wheel on the TR. This is the center lock version, but they also make a 5 bolt version.
Attached Images

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #8 of 18 Old 02-08-2014, 03:49 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 64
Being both a lambo and fezza owner, why would you think the Countach would be a nightmare?

Maintenance wise, the lambo comes out on top. no cam belt engine out on a regular basis. unless you fry the clutch. looks and driving experience both are very different.

I would not discount either car and would suggest you take a good look at both of these fruity Italians. Either way, I don't think you'll be unhappy.

good luck in your search.
Rob
post #9 of 18 Old 02-08-2014, 09:06 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Rob- Not in the same price class by a long shot. Nobody is comparison shopping Countachs and TRs now.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #10 of 18 Old 02-08-2014, 09:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 64
Hi Terry, I'm interested in why the OP would think Countach ownership would be a nightmare. The post asks about maintenance costs not capital outlay for purchase.

best
Rob
post #11 of 18 Old 02-08-2014, 10:48 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Rob- Probably thinks it is harder to find service and parts in a lot of places. But now that Audi owns them, we even have a mechanic here at the local Audi dealership. Not sure how good he is, but supposedly factory trained.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #12 of 18 Old 02-08-2014, 10:59 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 962
A Audi-bases Lambo is not the same as a Lamborghini Countach...Regarding techs at your local dealership; Factory trained in the modern cars; yes. However, I suspect those same techs would be clueless with a Lambo that doesn't have an OBD-II port!

And putting a clutch in a Countach ranks high on the list of pain in the ass jobs...FWIW

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
post #13 of 18 Old 02-08-2014, 12:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 624
Interesting this thread is from 2005 and only got started again by domotay yesterday? Must have gone back a long way to even find it, but I wonder if Mera ever got his TR?

Cheers
Michael

Current Fcars: 360 Modena
Gone but not forgotten: 360 Spider, 575M, F430.
Other stuff: '71 Holden GTS Monaro, '80 BMW Alpina B9, '74 Porsche Targa, Caterham, MB CL500, Land Rover Discovery.
post #14 of 18 Old 02-09-2014, 08:03 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Never heard that one before! Every countach owner and mechanic I have ever met would disagree. Now , of course, individual cars may differ, but the countach is a half step above a badly built kit car. Not so the ferrari. And yes, i love countaches too, but let's be serious here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder-man View Post

Maintenance wise, the lambo comes out on top.

Rob

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #15 of 18 Old 03-16-2014, 06:01 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 76
FWIW
50k miles in late 1988 Testarossa, 10k with very early 512TR. Noticeably more low end grunt in latter, also stiffer chassis and definitely lighter (maybe 4-500lbs, if I remember conversation with visiting factory person in 1990's). But, current market would indicate more money (price) for 512TR over a Testarossa.
Suspect aftermarket exhaust would boost power in either model (did so in 355).
Hope "dilemma" of which to go after gets happy resolution.

Dan Harrison
post #16 of 18 Old 12-08-2014, 05:48 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Welcome to Ferrari Life. 88 1/2s got ABS, IIRC.

The 512 TR is a much improved car over the TR, with much higher power, myriads of other upgrades, and vastly better perfomance (12.8 in the 1/4 mi). Worth the extra money. A popular upgrade for TRs is 512 TR wheels, but if you like the earlier style, someone makes an 18" wheel that looks just like the 16" wheel on the TR. This is the center lock version, but they also make a 5 bolt version.
Those the standard mirrors?
post #17 of 18 Old 12-10-2014, 04:28 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #18 of 18 Old 12-11-2014, 04:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Looking to buy a Testarossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Harrison View Post
FWIW
50k miles in late 1988 Testarossa, 10k with very early 512TR. Noticeably more low end grunt in latter, also stiffer chassis and definitely lighter (maybe 4-500lbs, if I remember conversation with visiting factory person in 1990's). But, current market would indicate more money (price) for 512TR over a Testarossa.
Suspect aftermarket exhaust would boost power in either model (did so in 355).
Hope "dilemma" of which to go after gets happy resolution.

Dan Harrison

Dan, I lightened my 88.5 TR and upped the power too, and improved the braking system.

It's a much better TR now.

I deinstalled the precats and cats. I didn't weigh them, but they were VERY heavy. I also added a K&N performance air filter and carbon fiber heat shield by the air intake.

I installed the Brembo F40 big brake kit, changed to 18" wheels wearing P Zeros.

It drives and handles like a completely different (and improved) car now. And all this for about $25,000 with labor.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode