Taking care of a Testarossa - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 11-01-2014, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
Taking care of a Testarossa

Hi everyone,

what a great forum this is! I'm in Italy for a couple of months taking care of my friend's house and cars. He have a Testarossa 91, it has done almost 60k km and was bought from a Ferrari dealer. Supposed to be in good condition. I know quite a bit about cars and understand most technical stuff, but I an no mechanic! I have little previous Ferrari experience apart from what I have read here on the forum.

What I wonder about is how do I take care of the car in the best possible way? My friend, the owner, is not exactly a car enthusiast. I am and I sure that most Testarossa owners her are, so I would be very happy for all kinds of info!

I plan on taking the car for a drive once a week. When i start it, I let the engine run for ca.10min before I drive (little after it idles smoothly). I don't give too much throttle until it's properly warm. What about when I turn it of? I read someones post here about letting it run until the engien cools down. The temperature her is around 18 Celsius (64F) during the day.

I have noticed a couple of things with the car. One is that it doesn't idle properly when it's cold. Is this "normal"? The other thing is that the temperature is colder from the right exhaust pipe and it seems stay a bit colder even when the engine is warm. The sound differs also a bit when it idles. May these to things be related?

The car has recently gotten the fuel hose and pump changed on the same side(which should be on the left side, opposite side from were the exaust come out?), the fuel hose had burst. I picked up the car from the mechanic when I arrived here, but it was hard for me to understand anything the mechanic said since I'm from Norway and don't know much Italian. The mechanic knows Ferrari's and supposedly have been a previous Ferrari racing mechanic, so I find it a little weird that the exhaust would be that way coming straight from him.

I want to be able to inform my friend about as much as possible about he's car when he returns to Italy.

I love the car, what a great experience, it's my first drive ever with a Ferrari.

All info is much appreciated! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-01-2014, 05:10 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,196
Welcome to Ferrari Life Plano; I have a 550 Maranello, but I don't really know the Testarossa well at all, so I'll withhold any comments. We have plenty of people here that do know the car very well, and I'm sure they'll chime in.

Ferraris in general do need a good warmup before they're driven "with vigor", so go gently on the old girl until the the oil and coolant temps are up in the operating range.

The transaxle & diff will thank you for this warmup too

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #3 of 3 Old 11-01-2014, 08:01 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Welcome to Ferrari Life. Ferraris are pretty bulletproof if you drive them gently until they are fully warmed (70 C oil temperature). Like the owner, about all you can do is trust the Ferrari mechanic he is using. If you drive her hard, it is not a bad idea to let her idle a minute or two so that everything cools down before you shut her down. If you just drive her normally, that is not really necessary.

The idle and different temperatures does not sound good and you may want to mention it to the mechanic if you can find a translator. Does she have catalysts?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode