1991 Ferrari testarossa engine power problem - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 08-30-2004, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
1991 Ferrari testarossa engine power problem

Hi
I have 2 problems with my tr
1. Unstable idle, goes up and down after engine was reved sometimes even stalls.
2. After 4000 or 4500 rpm engine looses the power feels like someone holding the car, but if I rev the engine while idling everything sounds and feels ok. I changed spark plugs, same result.
Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-31-2004, 12:59 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 476
Sounds like you might just need a tune up. With modern cars that means plugs, wires, distributor cap (if applicable), and distributor rotor (if applicable). Also your air cleaner. Very important on a heavy breather like a TR. The resistance in your wires, cap, and rotor(s) can degrade over time and with use. I would recommend changing these items on a yearly basis if the car is a daily driver and probably every 12,000 miles if it isnít. Basically every fourth oil change.

It sounds like youíre having problems making power under load. First step is to make sure your car is in good operating order. That means a tune up. Then if that doesnít clear it up weíll have you take a look at the a) Oxygen (O2) sensor and b) fuel injectors. Iím guessing youíre not producing enough spark. How did the plugs you pulled look? Were they black or kind of brownish grey? Were all the plugs the same? If not which ones were different? Was one bank of cylinders different than the others?
post #3 of 3 Old 10-10-2004, 05:15 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
A tune up is probably required. The usual reason for rpm's swinging up and down is that the engine in "unbalanced". That is the air/fuel mixture is not in balance between the cylinder banks. The TR engine is kinda funky where there is one ignition ECU for the entire engine, but two seperate fuel ECU's for each cylinder bank. So the engine is like to 6 cylinder engines running seperately with a common crankshaft. So in effect if one cylinder bank is running properly and the other is not, the poor running side will drag down the good running side, etc. Like Senna21 says, if all else is in good shape...you should take the car to a service shop for a tune up.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode