Lock Nut For Inner Tie Rod? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-01-2014, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 6
Lock Nut For Inner Tie Rod?

I'm replacing Testarossa tie rod ends 103592 and would like to replace the lock nut for the inner tie rod. The original lock nuts are not in perfect shape so it would be wise to replace them now. I have looked at the parts diagram and this nut is not shown. This is M12 (19mm wrench size) hexagonal jam nut but it seems the thread pitch of the nut is M 13 x 1.25. . Can anyone help me with this or maybe know where I can get this lock nut?

Last edited by Dean B; 02-02-2014 at 04:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-01-2014, 05:31 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,197
Dean,

First, are you speaking about the locking nut that holds these outer tie rod ends to the hub assembly, or the jam nuts that are on the ends of the steering rack inner tie rods?

Second, I've recently had the steering rack on my 550 rebuilt by a company called ADCO here in Houston and although the car isn't back in service yet, so far I'm very pleased with their work and knowledge. You may try contacting the owner, Neil Adkins at [email protected] to see if he can help you.

Third, and FWIW, the nuts on the end of my 550 rack's inner tie rods are M14x1.5 with a 20 or 21mm hex. And the ones that hold those outer tie rod ends to the hubs are M12x1.5 with a 19mm hex. (I've just checked both of those with a thread checker and confirmed them). See pic below:
Attached Images

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #3 of 16 Old 02-01-2014, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

These are jam nuts that are on the ends of the steering rack inner tie rods. On the picture this is a nut that is little striped. M12 seems too small and I didn't want to force it. One of the members measured the thread on his Testarossa and reported M13x1.25 which is absolutely rare. I need to find out what is correct size of the nut, M12 or M13?
Attached Images

post #4 of 16 Old 02-02-2014, 01:50 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Gotcha, yes I was pretty sure you were talking about those jam nuts, but just wanted confirmation.

You've probably already done this, but since M14x1.5 & M12x1.5 are very common, you could pick one of each up at an ACE or Home Depot, etc. just to double check those threads. Might pick them up in a couple different pitches too - the 1.25 pitch is harder to find, but McMaster's has them.

Was the rack already rebuilt? If so, it's surprising it didn't come with new inner tie rods and new nuts?

Try contacting Neil, either at that email, or here's his website with phone number: Welcome - Adco - Houston Power Steering Service and Supply

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

post #5 of 16 Old 02-02-2014, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

Just to clarify again. This is M12 (19mm wrench size) hexagonal jam nut but it seems the thread of the nut is M 13 x 1.25. Front and rear suspension is completely restored & rebuilt to the as new condition. Steering rack is fine so no changes are made but these nuts need to be replaced.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-02-2014, 03:35 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Dean, have you tried picking up a few M12 & M14 nuts in different pitches like 1.0/1.5/1.75 to see if any fit better than the M12 x 1.25 which you evidently tried and said is too tight?

I saw your thread on FChat where it was suggested it could be an imperial thread, but that's doubtful on a European made steering rack..... Is your rack a ZF like our later cars?

post #7 of 16 Old 02-02-2014, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

Already checked, M12 too small and M14 too big. The thread pitch is 1.25 for sure.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-02-2014, 04:19 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 962
Have you tried to spin on the new tie rod end that you just purchased?

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
post #9 of 16 Old 02-02-2014, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

Tried original jam nut on the M12x1.25 bolt, fit but it is a little loose (has some play). Purchased M12 nut and tried on the inner tie rod ends and it is too small.

Last edited by Dean B; 02-02-2014 at 05:20 AM.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-02-2014, 05:35 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean B View Post
Tried original jam nut on the M12x1.25 bolt, fit but it is a little loose (has some play). Purchased M12 nut and tried on the inner tie rod ends and it is too small.
Please see post #8. If the new tie rod end does not fit, I will explain what has been done.

Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

post #11 of 16 Old 02-02-2014, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

I have installed a new outer tie rod ends 103592 (see picture) but didn’t tighten anything yet. They fit perfectly fine and thread is the same like on the original outer tie rod ends.

Last edited by Dean B; 02-02-2014 at 06:22 AM.
post #12 of 16 Old 02-02-2014, 10:19 AM
Owner
Sponsor

I'd give a 1/2-20 jam nut a try.....
You'll find that is the correct size.

Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

Last edited by David @ FluentInFerrari; 02-03-2014 at 08:12 AM.
post #13 of 16 Old 02-03-2014, 07:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
Dean, any chance you have a caliper handy or could pick one up in your travels?

They're pretty cheap nowadays - don't need anything fancy - and completely invaluable IMHO. In two minutes you could measure the thread on the tie rod and know for sure. It's really money well spent.
post #14 of 16 Old 03-24-2014, 07:42 AM
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 49
I have a problem with my BBi inner Jam nut. Rack was rebuilt by Ferrari of Atlanta or whoever they send it to. My problem is the person who rebuilt it put a pin in the inner jam nut and we had to cut it out, thankfully there's no damage to threads, but the jam nut was sacrificed. Thought it was a M21 x 1.25 but after making one, it is too small. Would anyone know what the size is for the inner Jam Nut on the steering rack for a 512BBi and is there any available anywhere. If I can get the right size I can have one machined no problem.

The nut was round not hex on outside.

Thank you for any info.
post #15 of 16 Old 03-24-2014, 08:29 AM
Owner
Sponsor

These racks were mongruls, particularly when it came to the tie rods. As I recall, there were two rack threaded diameters used; 22 and 24 mm. In terms of the jam nuts, most were round and used a pin-spanner type wrench to tighten/loosen. Drilling and pining the nut in place is not an uncommon practice, although perhaps not the best repair solution. (One of the reasons why we here about $200 rack rebuilds versus $800 rebuilds, but that's another subject...) It shouldn't be too hard to measure either the rack itself or the tie rod socket. In terms of availability, perhaps Maryland Metric or the fabrication path...

As a general rule, Ferrari provided no rebuild parts...

Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

Last edited by David @ FluentInFerrari; 03-24-2014 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Typo
post #16 of 16 Old 03-24-2014, 11:12 AM
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 49
Thank you David for the quick reply. I will look into maryland metric. Appreciate the information.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode