Ferrari Life Forum banner

dash board alarms on my 87

3K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  hpyhrt2322 
#1 ·
I noticed two yellow lights below the turn signal indicators that were coming on and off. I noticed a bar graph of red lights on the left side of the dash. there is also one on the right. When the one on the left started to show the red bars the light would come on only to go out when the bars diminished. This under normal driving conditions. Oil temps were all good no noticeable problems with the engine ran great no unusual sounds except the yellow light it made a small hum, Anyone have any idea on what this might be?

Ed .

#3 ·
There are switches and lights on this dash and center council that are not in the owners manual.On this dash there are two yellow warning lights that buzz when on. When the bar graph warning lights which are red, located on the top left side of the dash starts showing more than three bars or sometimes none at all the yellow light comes on. These two yellow lights are located directly under the turn signal indicator lights and just above the steering column. The left one comes on.
Ed.

#4 ·
Ed- Sounds like you have an aftermarket alarm on your car. Usual recommendation is to rip all that stuff out of the car. If you post some photos, maybe someone can help identify the system. Does the system have its own remote or how is it set?

An outside guess would be whatever rechargeable battery powers the system may be going bad and the system is warning of the problem.

#6 ·
Ed- Looked at the 88 and 90 model OMs and saw nothing similar to what you are describing.

#7 ·
Thanks guys really appreciate all the info and the web site for the manuals...I checked and rechecked my panel to the manuals pictures and I have more buttons than I should I am going to post some pictures tomorrow because of all the extra switches on the right had side of the air conditioning buttons there is a small strip of switches of which one locks the door and sounds off the horn. Which leads me to believe there are alarms that may be after market. They just look so much like there came from the factory who ever did it they did a great job of installing it.
Ed

#11 · (Edited)
the middle switch of the 5 on the center console by the recycle air conditioner button locks the doors and the horn sounds like an alarm. I am curious as to the intended function of the other switches as the middle one is the only one that does anything. None of the switches on top seem to have any function. The alarms and function on the dash alarms are another thing, I don't know what they are intended for., the two bar graph alarms at the top corners are tied into the yellow ones. If its not from the factory that no one else has I have to lean towards an alarm system installed with the radio and amps which where in place of where the spare tire goes. I am having a new radio put in Thursday, my installer might know what it is.
Ed

#12 ·
There must have been ten pounds of extra wire installed on this system. The radio installation went well lots of extra's I didn't expect like a sub-woofer by the passenger kick plate which needs an amp if I want to use it other that that the obnoxious alarms on the dash are disconnected. The alarm speakers where installed with holes punched out like it was from the factory on a dash piece just above the steering wheel. The other switches are still a mystery and will remain unless I want to really tear into this thing on my own which is a big NO!!! But I do have to admit having some music with the sound of those 12 cylinders purring away is awesome.... damn I need to get back in that car and drive it some more....its early the sun isn't up yet....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.