Fuel Smell & Power Loss (HELP!) - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 02-09-2013, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 24
Fuel Smell & Power Loss (HELP!)

So I am currently in day #6 of Testarossa ownership. I have put about 75 miles on it since Monday and it drove phenomenally. Last night I was playing around with the car in the garage adjusting the driver seat and I also tested out the battery shut off switch in the front trunk compartment. This morning I fired her up and the engine sounded like it was struggling to start and idled roughly and about 200-300 rpm lower than usual. There was a stong odor of gasoline coming from the exhaust and no visible leaks below the vehicle. During the drive there is almost on low-end power and then it suddenly kicks in only to get choppy again at higher RPMs- in all gears and even after warming up. Do I have an issue with my KE Jetronic fuel injection system? Did I crack a fuel return line? This car is so new to me I feel like an idiot at the moment.

I would very much appreciate feedback from anyone who has experienced this or similar issues. Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,846
Tom- You fixed this, right? Return line behind the driver's seat?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 18 Old 02-10-2013, 07:54 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,129
I would also check the spark plugs. When were they last changed?

post #4 of 18 Old 02-10-2013, 08:49 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,127
I'm not very technical, but as far as I can see from the post this occurred after testing out the battery shut off switch. Could that have anything to do with it?

Jeroen

Italian bella's:
550 Maranello 7-2000 nero/nero
1974 Ducati 750 Yellow Sport
1974 Ducati 350 Desmo Yellow Sport
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
(And a few Alfa Romeo's and Range Rovers)

Power is nothing without control
post #5 of 18 Old 02-10-2013, 09:08 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 150
Tom is it still doing it? Look at the exhaust when running is there black smoke? Both sides or only one. Both the ignition and injection systems are per banks on these cars. Try to narrow down the symptoms. But you say it is choppy and most of the time I tend to think ignition. Check the coil wires,rotors,etc.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-10-2013, 10:05 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,129
Might also be a hairline cut in the fuel line.
post #7 of 18 Old 02-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 42
I had the same problem it turned out to be the oxygen sensors once they failed they dump huge amounts of gas into the cylinders. They were actually replaced with Porsche parts according to the shop they work better and are cheaper. I tried to start it one morning only to have it rev then putter at low rpms
post #8 of 18 Old 02-11-2013, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Many thanks to all of you for the helpful feedback. I dropped her off with my indy this morning so stay tuned for the culprit- I'm leaning towards an O2 sensor or a fuel regulator issue with the injection system. The fuel can only be smelled at the exhaust when the engine is running so I am not thinking it is a leak but I could be wrong. Will let you all know. Cheers.
post #9 of 18 Old 02-11-2013, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Owner

After a lot of research I believe the protection relay is the cause of this issue. I have informed my indy and he is going to attempt replacement in the morning.
post #10 of 18 Old 02-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Owner

Good luck...
post #11 of 18 Old 02-12-2013, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Protection relay was fine - the culprit was the left ignition coil. Should be back behind the wheel by Friday. Thanks again to all for the helpful advice.
post #12 of 18 Old 02-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Owner

that will do it awesome hope it wasn't too much to repair.
post #13 of 18 Old 02-14-2013, 01:19 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Same issue - sluggish on power

I am also new to the Ferrari world, bought mine about 8 months ago.

Two days ago my '86 Testarossa started fine, I drove it a bit, turned it off and when I went to start it a few minutes later, it had very low power. You can actually hear a difference in the engine running and it idles about 200-300 RPMs lower then normal. Today, same thing. started fine, drove it for about 10 miles, turned it off, went to drive it half hour later and no power, real sluggish.

I also smell a bit of gasoline outside the car, but neither set exhaust pipes appears to pouring out dark exhaust.

Any ideas? What I probably really need is a referral for a reasonably priced mechanic in Silicon Valley. Any suggestions? God I love this car and it kills me not to be able to drive it!

Last edited by mmartinho; 02-14-2013 at 01:57 PM.
post #14 of 18 Old 02-15-2013, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartinho View Post
God I love this car and it kills me not to be able to drive it!
I feel your pain brother! Nothing worse than having your baby taken out of commission! It sounds like you have a similar issue involving an ignition coil, fuel pump, protection relay or oxygen sensor. Have a qualified indy take a look at her and diagnose it correctly as throwing new parts at a car is not the right, or cost effective, way of doing it. Best of luck in getting your car back up to par!
post #15 of 18 Old 02-15-2013, 11:39 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 35
Tom check out the fuse box . . . TR's have poor connections on the circuit board at the relay sockets then they run on half the cylinders... a solution to this problem is to solder wires and make proper connections.
Good Luck!!
post #16 of 18 Old 02-18-2013, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks Philip but I already had my issue resolved- replaced the left ignition coil and she has since roared back to life! Cheers.
post #17 of 18 Old 02-26-2013, 05:52 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Good News & Horrible News for me.

The loss of power in my '86 TR was a simple - a bad spark plug wire. One spark plugnot firing caused the mixture sensor (or whatever they call it) to overreactand throw the whole fuel/air mixture off. Changing the wire did the trick!

Horrible News: I had the mechanic also change the transmission fluid andpart of a sychro came out with the fluid. This will be $20K to fix. I guess thesilver lining here is I'm getting my belts changed early boys!
post #18 of 18 Old 02-26-2013, 09:38 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 35
Good news and bad indeed!!! However that piece of syncro could have caused untold damage ??

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode