Testarossa's for sale in Australia - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 12-09-2012, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 94
Testarossa's for sale in Australia

The current number of TR's for sale on the web based marketplace in Australia is 9
the majority of which have been for sale for over 12 months. The example below is NOT my car, but a RHD model recently listed in Perth.As you can see by the examples on offer......screaming bargains every one of them!!

1990 FERRARI TESTAROSSA Coupe Private Cars For Sale in WA - carsales.com.au

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-10-2012, 07:48 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Not really a bargin by US standards but I suppose they are not as rare here.

Any idea how many Aus TR's there are?
post #3 of 17 Old 12-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
$Aus159K vs $US59K for one here is quite a difference. Would seem cheaper to import one from the UK.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

post #4 of 17 Old 12-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 151
I believe import duty is around 100%, add in $20k for Compliance and $2k for shipping and there's not much in it.

There have been probably 1-200 360's exported from the UK to Australia over the past 3 years butthat seems to have gone quiet now. Its made a relative shortage of straight rosso/crema cars at the lower price points here and done us all a favour by making the cars rarer here.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Crema seems to be a uniquely Commonwealth or former Commonwealth taste, for the most part. We lean more towards beige or cuoio than crema here in the States. Rosso Corsa is a common taste, obviously.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-14-2012, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Owner

The 'screaming bargains' comment was tongue in cheek chaps! the reality is that the cars are only worth what the buyer is willing to part with, hence the same cars on the site have been for sale for well over 12 mths(except the black WA car) I happened to walk past it in the carpark of Bunnings not 5 mins from my place(hardware walmart) some months ago unusual to see a Ferrari in the burbs, let alone a mirror image of your own car!

V8TDF, the costings are a bit out, mine cost $9k in total(including imp duty) as it had to leave from Vancouver and was based in Ontario the frieght was more expensive. compliance is only an issue if you are importing under personal import and the car is a post Jan '89 vehicle. Full compliance plating is required with a hefty price tag, still a bit short of 20K though. Only if you bring a car in under the limited import licensees scheme (20-50 units a year) would it cost around that, however they have a niche market and charge the customer accordingly; these account for 90% of the 360's in Australia.

Brian, I am unsure of the total number of TR's in Australia, I was given the email of a 'high profile' authority in Aust from the 'other site' and innocently posed that question as well as info on the lap sash belts...what I got was an impromptu lecture that in Australia they are termed 'Trossa's'(pre 512TR models) and being a newbie it would apparently behoove me well to learn the local idiom if I want to ask questions of that nature of him!...heh heh silly bugger, I thought it was himself he was referring to- 'Tosser'. The Ferrari Register of Australia can also be somewhat elitist, a horrendous joining fee (x2 if yr married) before any statistics can be acquired. The 2 anecdotes and the above import costings give an insight to the pricing of Ferrari's in Australia.

Terry, I did do a pricing and research exercise before purchase, comparing a UK car and a US car. My brief was to drive a Ferrari within my budget before I got too old to remember which side the steering wheel was on! The currency xchange has always been a bit of an issue with GBP/AUD whereas the same is counter with AUD/USD when the USD is down AUD, is up (and so is GBP) and the prices on offer have always been higher in the UK than USA (forex comparison) It would have owed me more if I bought in UK and inherited the potential of corrosion related challenges as some Australian owners have had to endure. Yes, my car came from Illinois originally, but the level of corrosion(Dan Harrison drove it daily for 10 yrs) is minimal (and superficial) considering the usage it got.

The price you have compared is accurate....after mine arrived and full costs incurred to get it approved and registered owes me quite a bit less than US $59K the steering wheel is on the wrong side of course, but the brief was achieved.

Cheers
Pete
post #7 of 17 Old 12-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Pete- By 85, Ferrari had pretty good rust-proofing processes, so was surprised to hear people were having problems.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #8 of 17 Old 12-14-2012, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Owner

rust proofing

Yes it is surprising Terry, Very early in the piece I recall following a thread on a Victorian owner in Oz , replacing the complete sill panels on his TR (very low miles) due to rust.

I guess the same issue would arise from time to time on US cars on the NE seaboard or where winters are harsh. , I have not at this stage though had my car on a hoist with all of the undercarriage shields removed for a serious inspection for cancer, but considering I have broached this issue; it will probably eat away at me
post #9 of 17 Old 07-01-2013, 04:02 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 34
seems the number for sale is much less now.
I think that the GFC had a few people in panic mode. things have settled for now, although i know of a guy that sold his 2 owner car with full engine rebuild for $70k.
that was a deal.
post #10 of 17 Old 07-01-2013, 09:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos Andy View Post
seems the number for sale is much less now.
I think that the GFC had a few people in panic mode. things have settled for now, although i know of a guy that sold his 2 owner car with full engine rebuild for $70k.
that was a deal.

A client of mine recently sold his car for high 50's. New owner was going to take it home to Australia and have a RHD conversion done. I suppose good one are still hard to come by over there.
post #11 of 17 Old 07-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
A client of mine recently sold his car for high 50's. New owner was going to take it home to Australia and have a RHD conversion done. I suppose good one are still hard to come by over there.
Crazy stuff, by the time its converted and get it here, I would sell mine for the same amount (89 with original right hand drive, and no funny seat belts)
It would give me a reason to find another one or maybe something later...
post #12 of 17 Old 07-13-2013, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos Andy View Post
Crazy stuff, by the time its converted and get it here, I would sell mine for the same amount (89 with original right hand drive, and no funny seat belts)
It would give me a reason to find another one or maybe something later...
Andy, how did you manage to import an '89 car from the UK, was it a personal import? I was under the impression that you are Australian and not a UK migrant, apologies if I misunderstood!

As an FYI for non-Australian Ferrari owners and potential owners -the following may show how protected the Australian Car Industry is by legislating any threat to potential lost sales of local built cars or mass imported cars; by the importation of overseas vehicles. :-

Under the DOTARS guidelines, the unrestricted importation of cars to Australia cuts off at build date prior to Dec 31st 1988. After that date it requires a personal import permit showing proof of ownership for 12 months prior to importation and proof of being driven in the country by the owner while domiciled there. The only other method of importing a post 12/31/88 build car is via diplomatic status exemption.

The upshot of the above gives very restricted choice of cars to import personally unless it is done through a holder of a RAWS license who can import a quota each year of a specific model of a vehicle not built or optioned new in Australia; as an example: Ferrari 360 Modena has been brought in by the RAWS importers and has become so numerous it has made the value of the model drop significantly.

I personally explored the possibilities of the importing Japanese auction vehicles after I returned from a NZ holiday in the mid 90's. The car scene in NZ had been totally revolutionised by the unrestricted importation of used japanese cars to improve the availability of affordable, reliable and safe cars for NZ roads.Perhaps some NZ members can give a more thorough and accurate history of the imported car scene over there.

The RAWS program was in its early stages of planning then, yet had little of the altruistic vision of the NZ Govt. In Australia it was all about legislation and revenue. with the argument being Australian Design Rules (ADR's) being the best and most stringent in the world! For the sum of $60,000 upfront, one could reserve an option to be a RAWS licensee...kinda like a Govt. franchisee license. It was not for me as I had recently bought a home for my young family.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Owner

I am Australian. The car is here, Roadworthy and Engineered. If I do sell I will tell the story. All here should know that all factory Right hand drive cars have no build date on the body or chassis. After speaking with the factory directly, it seems that they have little records of production date/vin for this model. It seems that most people go by date of first rego.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-14-2013, 09:33 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintech View Post
Andy, how did you manage to import an '89 car from the UK, was it a personal import? I was under the impression that you are Australian and not a UK migrant, apologies if I misunderstood!

As an FYI for non-Australian Ferrari owners and potential owners -the following may show how protected the Australian Car Industry is by legislating any threat to potential lost sales of local built cars or mass imported cars; by the importation of overseas vehicles. :-

Under the DOTARS guidelines, the unrestricted importation of cars to Australia cuts off at build date prior to Dec 31st 1988. After that date it requires a personal import permit showing proof of ownership for 12 months prior to importation and proof of being driven in the country by the owner while domiciled there. The only other method of importing a post 12/31/88 build car is via diplomatic status exemption.

The upshot of the above gives very restricted choice of cars to import personally unless it is done through a holder of a RAWS license who can import a quota each year of a specific model of a vehicle not built or optioned new in Australia; as an example: Ferrari 360 Modena has been brought in by the RAWS importers and has become so numerous it has made the value of the model drop significantly.

I personally explored the possibilities of the importing Japanese auction vehicles after I returned from a NZ holiday in the mid 90's. The car scene in NZ had been totally revolutionised by the unrestricted importation of used japanese cars to improve the availability of affordable, reliable and safe cars for NZ roads.Perhaps some NZ members can give a more thorough and accurate history of the imported car scene over there.

The RAWS program was in its early stages of planning then, yet had little of the altruistic vision of the NZ Govt. In Australia it was all about legislation and revenue. with the argument being Australian Design Rules (ADR's) being the best and most stringent in the world! For the sum of $60,000 upfront, one could reserve an option to be a RAWS licensee...kinda like a Govt. franchisee license. It was not for me as I had recently bought a home for my young family.
But you are right, pretty much cant bring a TR in that is newer that 31/12/88
This also applies to pretty much all other cars as well.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-15-2013, 06:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 76
Very happy that the renewal of 78712 is progressing. IIRC, we collected Coppa Bella Machina awards at 1996 Cavallino and FCA 1996.
Out yesterday in roofless red 4litre V-12 at local track before surrendering to loacal dealer to make pretty for FCA 2013 at Road America.
Even a quarter-century later, the Testarossa is an imediately recognizable icon.
Best.

Dan Harrison
post #16 of 17 Old 07-15-2013, 06:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Are those prices AUS or US?

Some are saying TR prices will appreciate in the next 5-10 years

I'm not certain given the high production numbers and cost of ownership
post #17 of 17 Old 07-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 Modena View Post
Are those prices AUS or US?

Some are saying TR prices will appreciate in the next 5-10 years

I'm not certain given the high production numbers and cost of ownership
I always talk au, (coz I am here) although I am not sure about other people.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode