Ferrari Life

Ferrari Life (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/)
-   TRs: Testarossa - F512M (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/trs-testarossa-f512m/)
-   -   TR engine out - 2nd time for oil leak !! (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/trs-testarossa-f512m/1916-tr-engine-out-2nd.html)

carguy 03-23-2004 07:58 AM

TR engine out - 2nd time for oil leak !!

4 Attachment(s)
Hello to all. As some may know I pulled the motor out of my TR last fall for a full service. In particular I changed the crank main seal in the front of the engine. Well after 4k miles it started leaking again....much to my breaking heart. So after weeks of procrastination I got around and pulled the motor again, finally getting it out last night. Just thought I'd post some pics for those who may be interested.

Andrew 03-23-2004 08:11 AM

Re: TR engine out - 2nd time for oil leak !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by carguy
Hello to all. As some may know I pulled the motor out of my TR last fall for a full service. In particular I changed the crank main seal in the front of the engine. Well after 4k miles it started leaking again....much to my breaking heart. So after weeks of procrastination I got around and pulled the motor again, finally getting it out last night. Just thought I'd post some pics for those who may be interested.

Wow, I never realized you just bolted off the chassis and could still roll it on the rear wheels/suspension like that. Very cool. I hope you can find the problem. You should ask Santa for a lift for X-mas this year.

carguy 03-23-2004 01:12 PM

Yeah the TR has a pretty slick system for motor drops. The first time I did this I raised the car on jackstands...quite high really....made me nervous. And then using a large tranny-jack I lowered the drivetrain down. This is probably not a good way for the do-it-yourselfer all alone in his little garage. Too many things can happen with all that weight and size, things can get out of hand in a hurry. This 2nd time I was thinking "why not use the suspension and tires to roll it out the back?". It worked out very well, very safe and secure. This is now my preferred way of doing it. Tonight I will pull off the belt covers and see where the dreaded oil leak is....that's my reason for doing this dastardly job again. I'll try and post some more pics for those interested.

Dr. Bob 03-23-2004 01:15 PM

I'm always interested, it's a shitty job, but it saves some money :p

carguy 11-26-2008 04:08 PM

It was a long time ago now...but I thought I would post what has happened to this car. It appeared that the crankshaft had a very small scratch in it, right where the bearing seal rides. It wasn't much of a scratch, but every revolution of the crankshaft channeled a bit of oil out and over the course of a few weeks.....well....it looked pretty bad. After setting for a few days it would leave an oil spot on the floor about 4 inches in diameter. I eventually sold the car, but made sure the next owner was aware of this problem. Other than this, the car was solid and dependable and drove great. The new owner has purchased an item called a "ready sleeve" that was to be installed over the crankshaft snout. This would restore a perfect sealing surface and supposedly solve the oil leak problem. I haven't heard how things turned out...sorry gang.....