design of timing belts - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 09-21-2012, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
design of timing belts

I am looking at getting a TR and being a child of the 60's my first car crush was a 1966 Dodge Charger. I eventually bought a Lotus, then a Muira and then a Countach. Thus the TR intrigues especially as it is available for the price of a Lotus Esprit V8.
However the timing belt seems like it is overstressed. Has a replacement belt ever been designed? This is the only belt I know that has an age limit.
Has anybody ever replaced the belt with a chain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-22-2012, 06:39 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 196
I used to have a 512 TR. I don't think there are any commercially available upgrades to the belts and pulleys. Some other stuff is done when the engine is out anyway (water pump, etc.). I think you just have to accept the ~5 year replacement cycle. It's probably the main reason TRs are priced so attractively.

Dan
Current: Scuderia
Past: 330GTC, 512TR
Quantum Mechanic, Quarks repaired, Black Holes refilled.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-24-2012, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
DanS:
thanks for your reply. I had gotten out of exotics after getting burned on a LP500S only to get burned on a light-twin (PA23/160). I am looking for a mid-egnine V12 that I can restore to the point where I can enjoy driving it.
A quick scan of TR parts prices on ebay shows very high prices. I assume the prices are high because there is a single source. How expensive are part rebuilds? For example I saw a new TR starter for$1500...could I get it rebuilt for $500. Could I use the started from a Fiat?

When the belt fails is it catastrophic? Do they stretch and skip teeth?

If I came across a TR with s failed belt are all the failures stratigraphic? For example suppose it failed during cranking...would the damage be limited to bent valves?

What I am getting at is can a car with a failed belt be bought cheap enough that it is not worht more parting it out?

I appreciate your experience with these cars
thanks
fred o

post #4 of 12 Old 09-24-2012, 08:42 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
TR parts are very expensive. a belt failure is usually catastrophic as the valves and pistons don't play well together.

buying a troubled tr is only for the masochists. since a decent tr can be had for 50k. i'm not sure why it would be an option to buy one that needed an engine job. at least. of course, whether it would be "worth it" would depend on many factors. I would tend to doubt it based on the limited amount of info in this thread. YMMV.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 12 Old 09-24-2012, 09:21 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Go to ferraridatabase.com and download TR and 512 TR owners manuals and workshop manuals. Should give you some idea of how things work. All Ferraris are interference designs. If a chain or cambelt goes, so do the valves of the affected cylinders.

It is much cheaper to pull the engine every five years and change the belts, adjust the valves, rebuild the water pump, etc than engineering a chain drive for a mid-engine flat 12 that fits and is durable.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 42
I have my eye on a 88 TR with 17000 miles in need of belt service. are all Ferrari's subject to the same timing belt replacement issues? I also have my eye on a 96 F 355 Spyder.... my heart is leaning toward the TR
post #7 of 12 Old 11-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Welcome to Ferrari Life. No, only the flat 12s and the 348 and F355 require engine out service for the cambelts. All the Ferraris from the 365 GT4 BB to the 612 and 308 GT4 to the 360 did have cambelts, though.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-03-2012, 11:08 PM
Owner

After doing lots of homework and trying to change my mind with other models, I keep going back to the 88 TR I have had my eye on, I know I will have to have it serviced and have the belts changed out. Owner is selling it because he does not want to do the service required. The price is right 48000 obo, checked it out with a test drive, it was very clean in and out. I am wondering what the worst case senario price wise, if taken in for service... I have a decent budget I am dealing with and can get other cars but its not a TR... so after spending what I will is this a good deal?
post #9 of 12 Old 11-03-2012, 11:38 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Take it to an expert and have him look at the car and any service records. Impossible to tell from a simple description on the web whether it is a good deal or not until you know what has to be done and how much it will cost. Also check the date codes on the tires and see if all four need to be replaced. An expert PPI can tell you what kind of deal the car will turn out to be. If the car already has deferred maintenance, no telling what the technician will find.

If she is otherwise in good shape and you have an engine-out major done, at least you will know you are good for another five years or so, unless something breaks, with only routine annual maintenance.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #10 of 12 Old 11-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
depends what you get it for and what it needs. top shelf tr's can be had for 50-60k so i am not sure why you wouldn't go that route. you will not be disappointed with the tr. specially for 50-60k. i can't imagine a more exciting car at that price. i want one myself. as taz says, the key is the PPI. have it done by an excellent tech and that is the best you can do.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #11 of 12 Old 11-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Owner

Thanks guys for the info. I have seen TR's for a wide range of prices from the low 40's- high 90's that is why I am asking questions. I did test drive the 88 TR , it is very clean inside and out. Everything worked, he didn't want to invest in the maintenance due belt change fluids etc. thus his low price he is asking 48.
Eddie.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 36
Belts are not the problem, its the tensioner bearings that can fail.
Change belts, change bearings, simples.......

P

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode