Cats or No Cats that is the question... - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-09-2012, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 23
Cats or No Cats that is the question...

So I finally started the Major service on my 88 TR, and I have a question about my exhaust.

I live in CA so its the strictest in the county when it comes to emissions. My car did pass a few weeks ago when I bought it but they had to lean it down. I think one of the cats is on the verge of being toasted (they will let me know early next week). I was wonder what you guys think?

Should I leave the stock exhaust on and maybe put some Hyperflow cats (if they need changing) or should I take off that system and use the other exhaust I got with the car. I have posted a picture of it. Basically here in CA people use the cats exhaust as "test pipes" and then go back to the after market ones. Any thoughts? I also think I am less susceptible to engine fires without cats however from what I have been reading on the forums if the car is running right with good cats that will not happen.

Hopefully some of you are from CA and have direct knowledge of what I should do though I suspect others have input too!

PS- I am not sure who makes the exhaust system so maybe someone knows from the pic? Looks like Borla to me
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Its a Borla and it is crap.

Sell it for scrap.

A TR in proper tune should nearly pass California smog without cats. If your cats are damaged and your car needed adjustment to pass it is not running correctly. A good running motor burns all the fuel, not just some of it. And cats do not cause fires, bad running cars do.

The precats in a TR are a terrible design and inhibit horsepower production. The factory main cats are actually quite good. Despite the fact that Hyperflow is a terrible company and do not stand behind their often poor quality products their TR precat eliminator pipes are a good product and do help the cars to make more HP. Also I have it from a very good source that the best HP numbers on a TR come from a stock muffler with Hyperflow precat eliminator pipes. That is the way I would go. Leave the stock main cats. Whatever you do, do not buy Hyperflow cats, they are unmittigated trash.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 862
cats

hello Sir,,i have a 328 with a Tubi and a Larini test pipe. when its time for a smog, i will swap the cat back in. .Im not sure if thats a good set up for other Ferraris, but i will say that my car runs cooler , and im hoping my motors life will be extended somewhat.After im done with a drive, and i park the car, i leave the engine lid up, and i do notice that the engine bay cools off a lot faster,,As far as performance goes. im not sure if any HP was added with my exhaust system set up, but i sure am addicted to the sound,,YOU TUBE has some great videos of TRs with Tubis and test pipes, as well as other systems,,they sound pretty cool Ferrari Testarossa with Tubi + Tunel !!! Insane Sound! - YouTube

post #4 of 9 Old 05-10-2012, 12:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 120
i have the 16M de cated and my friend,s 348 is also de cated, like yourself over here its hard for a car to pass emissions but they both passed. also had the CS done, did a ecu reset and never had any probs. only slight prob is the sound track is awsome
post #5 of 9 Old 05-10-2012, 05:44 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
I have an 88.5 TR with cat and pre-cat deletes
Test pipe to a tubi

I registered the car as an historic vehicle and am no longer subjected to emissions testing

Look into whether your state has exempted historic or antique cars and do the deletes
post #6 of 9 Old 05-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Cat-less TR purring sound here

Turn up your speakers

Decatted Ferrari Testarossa INSANE Sound - Redline Revs and Acceleration - YouTube
post #7 of 9 Old 06-10-2012, 03:03 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
which version hyperflow precat?

Hyperflow makes 2 precat pipes- one for street and one for track, the latter is $1000 cheaper. Is it too loud for street use? Which do you recommend. Is it a job for a decent home mechanic- my indie guy always starts talking about EPA fines when mention removing the cats. Also is there an air pump like my Porsche 928 has to inject air into the cats until they warm up?
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post

Sell it for scrap.

A TR in proper tune should nearly pass California smog without cats. If your cats are damaged and your car needed adjustment to pass it is not running correctly. A good running motor burns all the fuel, not just some of it. And cats do not cause fires, bad running cars do.

The precats in a TR are a terrible design and inhibit horsepower production. The factory main cats are actually quite good. Despite the fact that Hyperflow is a terrible company and do not stand behind their often poor quality products their TR precat eliminator pipes are a good product and do help the cars to make more HP. Also I have it from a very good source that the best HP numbers on a TR come from a stock muffler with Hyperflow precat eliminator pipes. That is the way I would go. Leave the stock main cats. Whatever you do, do not buy Hyperflow cats, they are unmittigated trash.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6
Yes your car has a air pump
post #9 of 9 Old 02-07-2013, 07:24 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post

Sell it for scrap.

Can you tell me why you're saying Borla exhaust are crap? Any bad experience with them?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode