Possible dream fulfilled? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-27-2012, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
Possible dream fulfilled?

Hello, new to the forum here. I'll start by saying that I have been an car enthusiast my whole life. I am a constant DIY'er with maintenance/modifications on my vehicles and often enjoy a spirited drive around the back roads, as well as Watkins Glen Int'l Raceway (I live in Upstate NY) for track days. I have been a Ferrari fan (especially Testarossa) ever since the first time I saw season 3 episode 2 of Miami Vice. To this day, that episode gives me chills when the TR is unveiled. It has been a life dream to own a TR, and now I have the "means" to acquire one. Being the DIY'er that I am, I wouldn't mind buying one that needs a little TLC.

I do have a question regarding the dry sump oil system. I will admit I am a newbie when it comes to certain aspects of these cars. I know I wont really get to 'know' one until I do so. SO, I request your infinite, earned wisdom. I am told that due to the dry sump system, the TR needs to be warmed up for 20 min before you drive away. Is this true?

I am looking at this TR that is a little 'ruff around the edges'. Take a look and tell me the the reasons why I should and why I should not buy this car.

Ferrari : Testarossa Ferrari : Testarossa | eBay

Thank you all for your time.

-Nate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by nater86zx View Post
Hello, new to the forum here. I'll start by saying that I have been an car enthusiast my whole life. I am a constant DIY'er with maintenance/modifications on my vehicles and often enjoy a spirited drive around the back roads, as well as Watkins Glen Int'l Raceway (I live in Upstate NY) for track days. I have been a Ferrari fan (especially Testarossa) ever since the first time I saw season 3 episode 2 of Miami Vice. To this day, that episode gives me chills when the TR is unveiled. It has been a life dream to own a TR, and now I have the "means" to acquire one. Being the DIY'er that I am, I wouldn't mind buying one that needs a little TLC.

I do have a question regarding the dry sump oil system. I will admit I am a newbie when it comes to certain aspects of these cars. I know I wont really get to 'know' one until I do so. SO, I request your infinite, earned wisdom. I am told that due to the dry sump system, the TR needs to be warmed up for 20 min before you drive away. Is this true?

I am looking at this TR that is a little 'ruff around the edges'. Take a look and tell me the the reasons why I should and why I should not buy this car.

Thank you all for your time.

-Nate

To begin with I have a TR, I was also factory trained on them and have worked on them daily since October 85.

I live in California so the coldest I am likely to drive the car is about 40 degrees. I start it and give it about 10 seconds before I am in gear and moving. I don't drive it hard until it is fully warmed up but I don't do that in my pick up truck either.

About the Ebay car.

It is a total POS. Dont go anywhere near it. It is a rolling display of deferred and poorly executed maintenance. Not to mention the poorly executed modifications or the several thousand dollars worth of missing spare, tools and books. It will break you even if you do perform the work. Even for a DIY guy they are too expensive to put right to bring one back from the dead. Fixer uppers in the Ferrari world should really be referred to as parts cars.

If you want to do that buy one that has been well cared for but is in need of being brought up to date. There is nothing about that car that suggests it was ever treated in any way other than rode hard and put up wet. The price difference between that car and one as I described is not enough to pay for some new leather hides, much less anything else.

I do not sell cars and want nothing to do with that business but if you PM me I can give you contact info for a car on the West Coast that may be just what you are looking for and has a famous prior owner if that makes any difference.

Transport to New York is less than a pair of distributor caps.

And 36,000 miles??? Thats a laugh. If that is a 36,000 mile car I am Enzo F'ing Ferrari.

I just can't get enough of this Ebay listing. I have never even seen an auto check score of 30. Major title issue?? Accident history?? Well duuuuhhh. It has a license frame from a body shop. And then there is the 6 owners.

And a Toobi exhaust? That cobbled up mess from a muffler shop run by the guys from Deliverance maybe.

Last edited by Brian; 04-27-2012 at 10:37 AM.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
license frame from a body shop! Classic!!!!

guess that's better than a junkyard!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #4 of 15 Old 04-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
oh, and the seller's name is tony and he is selling it for "a friend". ticks all the boxes!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 15 Old 04-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Nater, don't be offended by our jokes. It is just that we see these things so often it becomes amusing.

We'll all be more than happy to assist you but we don't need to see another discouraged first time buyer.

Lets find you a good one.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Welcome to Ferrari Nater. I'll not add to the opinions on the TR, but stick around. The wisdom here will help you get the right one.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #7 of 15 Old 04-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 11
+1 on the "keep looking" I purchased a "deal" car and I have about $6,000 in parts and 400+ hours in labor in just the last year and my car looked new compared to that one. I wish I would have learned more and took my time making a buy. If Brian is talking about the red Testarossa for $45K for sale by a fellow member, it is well sorted out. Wish I would have been on this forum before I purchased. On the warm up question, I live in the midwest and I do typically warm up the car 5-10 min. If I don't, shifting from 1st to second can be a bit rough until it is warm. Once it is warm, there is nothing better. If it is a warm day, I will not wait too long and also take it easy until things get warmed up like Brian before I give her a work out. I also never shut it off when I'm done if the fans are running, I wait until the temperature drops then turn it off. Good luck on your search
post #8 of 15 Old 04-28-2012, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Thank You all for the replys, and thanks for the advice to not buy that TR. I actually feel bad now, for whomever ends up with that thing. (Unless they want a parts car). Don't worry about the jokes, I have a good sense of humor and I am used to car forum weisenheimers. I came here to gain knowledge so any info is good. I'll hold out for now. Less headaches are worth waiting for. Besides, I would really like a white one with tan interior!

Has anyone seen this one? sorry if it is a repost:

The only Targa TR I have ever seen, and this one supposed to originally be made for the 'Saudi ambassador to Rome'. Hmmmmmmm......
post #9 of 15 Old 04-28-2012, 08:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 573
When you're done checking out all the rest, take a look at the best...

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/fe...erfection.html
post #10 of 15 Old 04-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,021
Nater I wish you the best of luck - you seem like a good fit for Ferrari ownership and a member of the forum.

These guys know their stuff - glad you can tuck n roll.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #11 of 15 Old 04-29-2012, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Eggo View Post
When you're done checking out all the rest, take a look at the best...

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/fe...erfection.html
Wow.... beautiful example!
post #12 of 15 Old 04-29-2012, 05:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
A side note. This is the place I started before I bought my first Ferrari . I started with the buyers guide and then more reading and then posting knowledgeable experts. Welcome Nater. You have good resources on this site with little to no BS.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #13 of 15 Old 04-29-2012, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
Nater I wish you the best of luck - you seem like a good fit for Ferrari ownership and a member of the forum.

These guys know their stuff - glad you can tuck n roll.
Thank You I will gain as much knowledge as I can on this forum so I can make an educated desicion when it comes time to buy.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-29-2012, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
A side note. This is the place I started before I bought my first Ferrari . I started with the buyers guide and then more reading and then posting knowledgeable experts. Welcome Nater. You have good resources on this site with little to no BS.
Ok I will do the same. I would like to apologize for the fact that I posted this thread in the wrong section. I should have posted in the 'pre-purchase help' section.
post #15 of 15 Old 04-30-2012, 04:55 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 66
Dear Ferrari,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Transport to New York is less than a pair of distributor caps.

....priceless.....

....it's funny because it's true!

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode