Some questions... - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-11-2012, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 23
Some questions...

I have a few questions now that I actually own a TR…first is about the major and important, the rest is stuff I will be taking care or while it’s in the shop so its really small dinky fun stuff to make the car look better
1)
There is a 30k kit from Ricambi at $1750 and Ferrari parts exchange for $1085. I know the bearings from Ricambi are Hill and Ferrari parts exchange uses Ferrari but other than that its supposed to be the same according to them. Thoughts? Seems to me Ricambi has way more parts, I don’t even see the belts in Ferrari parts exchange. Basically I am buying Ricambi and wonder if you guys did the same?
http://www.ricambiamerica.com/produc...75ciero5g8no90
http://www.ferraripartsexchange.com/TRservicekit.htm

2)
I need to rebuild the Tachometer; it’s off by 2000RPM. Do you guys recommend Palo Alto Speedometer? They quoted about $200-250 to fix

3)
I was thinking of getting carpets from Windwest European. Any thoughts on that? Anybody bought here before? I want high quality and I want to make it look right. Was thinking tan with a white prancing horse and Ferrari in white underneath with the long F

WestWind Europe - Ferrari Floor Mats

4)
The Emblems on my car are gold, blehhhhh, unless someone wants to trade for silver! So ferrparts.com quoted me $70, $87 and $305. Those are for the Ferrari, horse, and Testarossa. I think thats a fair price and would rather do that then having the gold ones chromed.

5)
Will this key actually work with my 1988 TR? I need a second key, car only came with one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blank-UNCUT-...#ht_500wt_1413

Mind you, question 1 is most important, the others are just something I'm doing on the side while its in the shop
Thanks!

Last edited by TestaLA; 04-11-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 9
Palo Alto Speedometer

Hi Testa,

Regarding Palo Alto Speedometer.

I have used them for several repairs on mechanical tachs and speedometers for several vintage straight axle Corvettes. Their work was always first rate.

Regarding the belts, etc. for your major I recommend that you develop a relationship with a good knowledgeable Ferrari mechanic who can help guide you through your initial ownership experience and help you get the car "sorted."

I don't get in the weeds with regard to where my parts come from.. The really good Ferrari mechanics already know where to source their parts. Your mechanic will also be responsible for the "project management" of your service...that means insuring that the parts arrive when they are needed and that they are the right parts. There may likely be recommendations that go far beyond just knowing what belt kit to order.

Testarossa service, as I have learned, is part art, part science. You want both.

For high-end mats you might try Nick Forza or Keith Collins.

:harry

Last edited by harry e; 04-12-2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: more content
post #3 of 9 Old 04-12-2012, 04:03 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 768
I use Ricambi all the time. They are great for parts and sell you the correct service kits.
Thanks.
Alex.

post #4 of 9 Old 04-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
For the speedo, I do not use Palo Alto even though they are in my back yard. I know a lot of people are very happy with them but somehow every one of my jobs turns into a train wreck.

I send stuff to Mo Ma Engineering in New Mexico in that city I can't even hope to spell.

The key on Ebay. I do not know if it will fit but it is a lot of money to spend for the wrong design. If you like it, that's one thing but good locksmiths have a balnk that will fit if you want to go the cheap way.

If you really want a genuine correct TR key I have a few blanks but it won't be cheap.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-15-2012, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 23
The key

Yes i do like the design but I'm not sure if it can cut to a testarossa key
post #6 of 9 Old 04-16-2012, 06:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Rtcambi always have fresh belts in stock . they have been known to throw belts away that are too old . Hill bearings are the best.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #7 of 9 Old 04-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
Rtcambi always have fresh belts in stock . they have been known to throw belts away that are too old . Hill bearings are the best.

Except I do not believe Hill makes TR bearings.

Unlike the 308/F40 bearings, the factory supplied bearings for the TR are a good quality piece. And unlike the 348 or 355 bearings the factory bearings are not outrageously priced, hence no need for an aftermarket manufacturer.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-16-2012, 08:46 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestaLA View Post
Yes i do like the design but I'm not sure if it can cut to a testarossa key

That is a very large head on the key. The reason the OE key for the TR had an articulated head was to help prevent you from breaking the key off in the lock with your knee.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Except I do not believe Hill makes TR bearings.

Unlike the 308/F40 bearings, the factory supplied bearings for the TR are a good quality piece. And unlike the 348 or 355 bearings the factory bearings are not outrageously priced, hence no need for an aftermarket manufacturer.
Oh.. I was going off the OP's original post.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode