Pulling alternator. Need help - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 48
Pulling alternator. Need help

Well figures...full engine out and did everything but the damn alternator. Yesterday it went out. Sweet. Does anyone have a skematic showing the backside of the motor for belt orientation and bolt location? Does anyone have a step by step?

Here's what I'm thinking

Remove mesh
Loosen 13mm tensioner bolt
Slip off belt
Remove 2 bolts
Remove harness

Lastly do I rebuild or buy new?

Thx guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
I generally remove both the mesh vent and the body painted trim panel for full access. Getting the lower bolt out is an exercise in patience, it's probably best that you don't try to pull it out completely.

There isn't really adequate clearance between the belt cover and the main coolant cross over pipes to slip the bolt out completely. You should be able to get it out enough to release the alternator though.

If you can get another pair of hands, it may be worth while to take the engine lid off to relieve your lower back!

I personally recommend just rebuilding the original assembly, my personal preference.

post #3 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Owner

So I guess I didn't realized there was a painted body panel. I just removed the mesh piece. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get the alternator out....I actually had to take the four bolts off and un-do the back of the housing and take out in two pieces. Jease...now you tell me!! Guess putting back in with that piece off will be easier now. As for the bolts...there was only one bolt holding the alternator to the back bracket on the motor. Is that right? You mentioned the lower bolt being diffacult? I had one long bolt on the bottom and the tensioner bolt...that's it. Last question, what can I tell the shop this is off of so I don't get charged the Ferrari tax? Is there a US car this cross references to?

Thanks.

post #4 of 13 Old 03-13-2012, 06:31 AM
Master Mechanic

The long bolt at the bottom you're referring to IS the one that can be difficult to fully remove.

I don't know of any exact cross reference, it's just a Bosch alternator. You won't be paying a Tax for it being Ferrari, you'll be paying a tax because the parts may not be common ones.

I've never seen a rebuild go over a few hundred dollars anyways. Most modern alternators are just as expensive.

post #5 of 13 Old 03-14-2012, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Project completed. All done in less than two hours. Not bad. She runs perfect again. Now time to trade her for a 360!!!
post #6 of 13 Old 03-14-2012, 06:02 AM
Master Mechanic

A little easier going back together I hope? What did you do to solve your issue, I know an alternator can't be rebuilt that quickly...generally.

post #7 of 13 Old 03-19-2012, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Have an alternator shop right down the street. Rebuilt in one day and about 120.00 all in. Replaced the battery as well and took me a little over 1.5 hours. Car runs like a champ again. Not bad!
post #8 of 13 Old 03-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Master Mechanic

That's excellent! Now to enjoy a good warm Summer!

post #9 of 13 Old 03-24-2012, 06:21 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
I've found that removing the upper intake plenum makes this job a lot easier. The TR uses a Delco Alternator, so it's an easy rebuild for less than $75 normally.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-24-2012, 09:37 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy View Post
I've found that removing the upper intake plenum makes this job a lot easier. The TR uses a Delco Alternator, so it's an easy rebuild for less than $75 normally.

$75 to take it all apart, clean everything, replace the diodes, replace the bearings, replace the regulator, turn the commutator Take apart the internal connections that always fail and repair them all for $75.00?

I am really impressed. Do you need a gun for that or is it done willingly?
post #11 of 13 Old 03-29-2012, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
$75 to take it all apart, clean everything, replace the diodes, replace the bearings, replace the regulator, turn the commutator Take apart the internal connections that always fail and repair them all for $75.00?

I am really impressed. Do you need a gun for that or is it done willingly?
Seriously
post #12 of 13 Old 04-01-2012, 05:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
Sorry about posting such a low price for an alternator rebuild, this is what I was charged for doing my TR's alternator last fall. I took it to a friend of mine who is in that business - sounds like he made me a great deal - I guess I owe him one!
post #13 of 13 Old 04-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy View Post
Sorry about posting such a low price for an alternator rebuild, this is what I was charged for doing my TR's alternator last fall. I took it to a friend of mine who is in that business - sounds like he made me a great deal - I guess I owe him one!

Parts price is higher than that for good quality parts. Then to properly rebuild one is a 2-3 hour job.

Anything else is a bandaid.

Just more internet disinformation out in the market place.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode