Tires/Tires for TR 10" rims - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-10-2012, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 94
Tires/Tires for TR 10" rims

Hi all!
went for a long country run last weekend, longest since I have had the car. The car developed a vibration in the rear at 65MPH on the return trip. One of the tyres had developed a bulge of approx 10mm on the circumference. Probably from sitting too long between drives with previous owners. They are about 50% worn on the rear.

Problem is availability of sizes to fit the 10"wide rear rims locally. No one stocks that recommended size in West Oz. I will make enquiries on the East Coast, but I thought to ask those more familiar with the tyres and rims for this model first.

The tyres are Firestone Firehawk P255/50/ZR16.Not fussed on the brand but would they be a common size in the States? Their is a container being packed in a month in CA and if I could get them thrown in with the contents, it saves freight.

Any input appreciated

Cheers
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-10-2012, 02:42 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 573
Pete -

It's not just West Australia...Testarossa tires are damn hard to find anywhere.

See if you can find these:
Kumho Ecsta XS (Extreme Performance Summer), 265/45-16

I'm running them on my 86 Testarossa and they fit PURRRRFECT. I know the size is slightly off from OEM but don't worry, they are just right. BTW, I have the Kumho Ecsta XS on the front in the OEM specified size.

I know a lot of folks poo-poo the Asian brands of tires but these have done very well for me. These Kumhos use current tire technology have a nice soft/sticky compound and are very affordable (about $500 for a set of 4). The other options are brands with 10+ old tire technology in that size.

Good luck!
post #3 of 10 Old 03-10-2012, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Rick, thanks buddy, I will check them out. Kumho are widely distributed in Oz and I will check the size series. If that sizing is not available here I may request the URL of the place you purchased from and get them delivered to San Clemente to ship.

Thanks
Pete

post #4 of 10 Old 03-11-2012, 04:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintech View Post
Rick, thanks buddy, I will check them out. Kumho are widely distributed in Oz and I will check the size series. If that sizing is not available here I may request the URL of the place you purchased from and get them delivered to San Clemente to ship.

Thanks
Pete
Pete,

I got mine at Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels but I just had a look and the Kumho's are no longer available in that size. They have another model in that size but the matching fronts are the wrong sizes. Bummer.

However, it looks like BF Goodrich finally launched a modern tire in the right size (front and rear) for a Testarossa...so, you're in luck.

BFGoodrich*g-Force Sport COMP-2
post #5 of 10 Old 03-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,846
Rick- Talk about a good deal for Ferrari tires, $155 each. My bloody rear tires were over $600 each (355/25 19) and they may be NLA.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-05-2012, 06:42 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 66
Hi

there is only one tyre to fit on the Testarossa 255/50ZR16 100Y Michelin Pilot Sport. Classic Tyres | Longstone Vintage Tires will ship them to Austrailia, free of shipping charges.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougal View Post
Hi

there is only one tyre to fit on the Testarossa 255/50ZR16 100Y Michelin Pilot Sport. Classic Tyres | Longstone Vintage Tires will ship them to Austrailia, free of shipping charges.

Michelin has discontinued production of that tire. While Longstone has a few and their American counterpart, Coker has 8 or 9 fronts, when those are gone that is it. Not a good pick in my mind especially when you consider how much they charge for them.

The BF Goodrich tire is a brand new design and is just now getting into the supply line. Those are a great choice and in my opinion the only good one at this time.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 34
Is the 265/45/16 close enough? does it rub on the bodywork?
post #9 of 10 Old 04-10-2012, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Dougal, appreciate the info however I had a bad experience with Michy run flats on a beemer motorsport I owned, twice shredded the tyre and surrounding bodywork* Nasty*
I am with Brian re the BF Goodrich, performance wise(for me) and certainly price wise.
I am getting them sent to a friend who is shipping a car across to Oz in a month, just chuck 'em in the container!!
post #10 of 10 Old 04-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 34
Do you think you could chuck another pair of rears in the box for me?
I have an Uncle in perth so he could collect and courier them to me.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode