Going to see my first Testarossa what should I look out for? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 03-08-2012, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 23
Going to see my first Testarossa what should I look out for?

Other than the obvious, maintenance paperwork what should I look for? The guy is weird and won't allow anyone to drive it but him unless I give him a check. I think he has been burned by a bunch of looky loos, but say I get past that what should I check? I will end up doing a PPI if I buy it but its about 2 hours away so I think if it comes to that I will do the PPI based on a negotiated price assuming it needs nothing, which is what he claims. I also attached a link you guys can look at. Price wise he says he is FIRM and he just turned down a 44k offer
Thanks!

FERRARI TESTAROSSA 1985 BRAND NEW CONDITION CLEAN TITLE///////////////
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 03-08-2012, 07:19 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 139
"*JUST PURCHASED BRAND NEW RACING TIRES FOR IT"

that, to me, would be a big red flag.
why did he need racing tires for it?
Either he really DID buy racing tires, in which case I'd find out how much track time this car has seen. (track time should be something YOU do in the car, not something you pay for after somebody else has done it)
OR: he thinks he's going to "wow" you with the term "racing tires" for the Pirellis or michelins he just put on it. In which case, look very carfeully at what else he is exaggerating about in his description.

I'm a firm believer that an ad which exaggerates the facts, or misleads with ambiguous but exciting descriptors like "you could eat off the engine" is making-up for what does NOT show well.

Your PPI is still your best bet.

Price-wise, meh. it all depends on what you find. That seems to be about mid-pack for a presentable example. If it is as nice as he says it is, then that's a good price.
post #3 of 33 Old 03-09-2012, 07:49 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Get ready to be bent over. The photos are of 2 different cars. One is an 88 or later with 3 brake lights and low mirrors and 5 bolt 16 inch wheels. The others are of an 85 or 86.

A. Dont buy an 85. Too many transmission problems.

B. That car has TRX wheels. The only tires available are very expensive junk. Those are the tires pictured BTW, not race tires. Example 2 that the seller is a lying sack of excrement.

Last edited by Brian; 03-09-2012 at 08:04 AM.

post #4 of 33 Old 03-09-2012, 08:01 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Get ready to be bent over. The photos are of 2 different cars. One is an 87 or later with 3 brake lights and low mirrors. The others are of an 85 or 86.

A. Dont buy an 85. Too many transmission problems.

B. That car has TRX wheels. The only tires available are very expensive junk. Those are the tires pictured BTW, not race tires. Example 2 that the seller is a lying sack of excrement.
LOL - where have you been!

post #5 of 33 Old 03-09-2012, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!!!

Quote:
Get ready to be bent over. The photos are of 2 different cars. One is an 88 or later with 3 brake lights and low mirrors and 5 bolt 16 inch wheels. The others are of an 85 or 86..
Thats very useful info, thanks! Starting to learn!!!!
post #6 of 33 Old 03-09-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adihed View Post
Thats very useful info, thanks! Starting to learn!!!!
Adi, this is exactly what I've been going through as well, for about 5 months now. So I feel your pain. I've got to think that it'll help us both though, and be worth the wait once we dive-in and finally make a purchase.

I've been absorbing stuff like this like a sponge.... hoping to be all over it, when it's the right car.

Hang in there! Your excitement about the purchase is infectious.
post #7 of 33 Old 03-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 11
Adihed,
You should still go as you are still learning about the TR ( I assume) and you will learn something. Nothing like seeing a car up close. I find a lot of stuff that is claimed to work does not. Try all the switches and learn what they all do and see if they all really work. Take all day and make the jerk give you some free education..knowing you will not buy this one. It is very common for fog light switch or glove box switch and stuff like that to be intermittent or not work. Air conditioning is interesting because if you don't understand how it works, you may not be able to tell if it is really working or not, depending on the weather...same with the heater, hell I still have trouble figuring out how to turn it on. I also always get on the ground and take a look. If it was repainted, under the doors is hard to get and parts of the frame. Also you can see if there is anything leaking or if it was cleaned just for you. Since it is low to the ground, you can see if they ever hit anything. The back panels tend to be in need of touch up or repair on a lot of cars and you can't see that unless you get down and look close. Same with the front spolier..most all have hit something at one time or another and may need repair that cant be spotted from above. Make sure not to bring your check book as I agree there is something wrong here...your assignment is to see if you can figure out what the real story is and let us know what you learned. it will make you smarter when you get the right TR.
post #8 of 33 Old 03-09-2012, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime View Post
Adihed,
I agree there is something wrong here...your assignment is to see if you can figure out what the real story is and let us know what you learned. it will make you smarter when you get the right TR.
Will do. I am writing all your comments on a notepad with some others I got and making a check list

Maytag I guess its a race to who gets one first I too have been reading everything I can on these forums. I know about 355 issues and the fuse box problems in a Testarossa, things I had no idea about.
post #9 of 33 Old 03-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,311
Quote:
The photos are of 2 different cars.
Adihed,

Your emotions and haste are clearly leading your acquisition efforts vice sound, clinical evaluation criteria. Very Risky.

This is precisely why I receommended you read the buyers guides and do your homework. Had you done that already, you would have know there was something odd about the photos, taken at very different times and places.

Study the models you're considering, know the differences during production, and the pros and cons of each. THEN you'll be ready to ask questions.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #10 of 33 Old 03-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
Base on the better experts above, with red flags AND the fact this is a Craigs List item I would be warry to hand over a check to test drive.

Just saying if not a scam, then perhaps a means to get a quick bunch of money...

I can see the conversation now: I'll cash the check, and return the money after the drive.... ya' ... refund is in the mail. be careful.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #11 of 33 Old 03-09-2012, 09:55 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,515
After 10+ years of ownership I may be selling mine to buy a 430 Spider

Shameless ad follows

Recent major (last year) and many upgrades including 18" HRE 3-piece wheels to accommodate Brembo F40 big brake kit, Tubi exhaust with cat delete, rear glass deck (carbon fiber), carbon fiber heat shield, custom stereo installation/rear speakers, red cover
post #12 of 33 Old 03-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,515
After 10+ years of ownership I may be selling mine to buy a 430 Spider

First picture was included in an article I authored for Prancing Horse #158, First Quarter 2006.

Recent major (last year) but many upgrades including 18" HRE 3-piece wheels to accommodate Brembo F40 big brake kit, Tubi exhause with cat delete, rear glass deck (carbon fiber), carbon fiber heat shield.
Attached Images

post #13 of 33 Old 03-09-2012, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
do your homework. Had you done that already, you would have know there was something odd about the photos, taken at very different times and places.

Study the models you're considering, know the differences during production, and the pros and cons of each. THEN you'll be ready to ask questions.
I see where you are coming from, talking to you guys is part of it, within a few months I'll probably be schooling a newbee too, the issue is I want a car way sooner than 1 month!
post #14 of 33 Old 03-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
the issue is I want a car way sooner than 1 month!
If you had enough money for that kind of shortcut, you wouldn't be looking at the bottom of the market.

post #15 of 33 Old 03-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Tread slowly adihed. I know the feeling. I'm as impatient myself.

The advise here is second to none, you simply cannot put a value on such council.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #16 of 33 Old 03-09-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Maytag I guess its a race to who gets one first
at this rate you will win.

When I joined and introduced myself, I said I would be buying within the next 12 months. that was 4 months ago, and I feel less confident now that I know what I want. I'm still vacillating between a $50k Testarossa or a $35k 308.
Both would be very, very nice, and in that price range I'm confident I can find a well-presented example of either.
If I could get the TR in a "GTS", for that open cockpit feel, then there would no longer be a question. But I can't, so there is. If I go with a 308, I really want a pre-'80, so I can get the carbs. that narrows the field even more.

When I find the right car, it'll be time. But so far, I'm still looking.
I'll admit that I'm somewhat at a disadvantage, as I have quite a distance to travel to get to any cars for sale. It seems Ferraris of ANY sort are more rare in Utah than in California..... go figger!

there's an idiot up here who wants $39k for his HAMMERED 348. and he's an a** in his ad too. There's another guy with a black / black 355. overpriced, and I'm not a fan of black / black.
Other than that, there's the dealer with nothing older than '04.
post #17 of 33 Old 03-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #18 of 33 Old 03-11-2012, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I'm still vacillating between a $50k Testarossa or a $35k 308.
Both would be very, very nice, and in that price range I'm confident I can find a well-presented example of either.
If I could get the TR in a "GTS", for that open cockpit feel, then there would no longer be a question.
That is EXACTLY how I feel and my exact price points. I drove a Testarossa and 308 this weekend and it's what I thought. 308 is zippy compared to the massive TR, but the TR is just so much more beautiful and what I think a Ferrari should be. I spent the weekend thinking and thinking. Basically the 308 is more practical and easier to navigate but then I read you can add EZ power steering to the TR which ONLY kicks in at low speeds. So that really pushes me into the TR camp. Also the shifting is easier in a 308 but it's really not hard to shift the TR, just needs a little more force. I'm in the middle of selling my Porsche and I think once that's wrapped up I'll PPI the testarossa and buy it.

Maytag, since you have been researching what have you found out? This TR is an 86 I heard the transmission wasn't as great, any tips?

Also the ad for my TR was written by his cousin he had no idea what I was talking about when I asked about the racing tires, he also didn't put up that one pic that wasnt his car. His English is bad so his cousin was trying to help with all that hyperbole

Last edited by TestaLA; 03-11-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: More to write
post #19 of 33 Old 03-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Also the ad for my TR was written by his cousin he had no idea what I was talking about when I asked about the racing tires, he also didn't put up that one pic that wasnt his car. His English is bad so his cousin was trying to help with all that hyperbole
I'd be suspicious, it's one thing not having good English, but not bothering to even look at the pictures his 'cousin' was putting up. I'm all for the benefit of doubt, but even if true doesn't say much for his love of his Ferrari and that speaks volumes for how it may have been maintained.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #20 of 33 Old 03-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Owner
Elite Member

I'm a very rich Nigerian with large amount of money and gold which cannot be accessed directly (I'm in prison on a trumped-up traffic ticket).

But if you send me a check for ten thousand dollars, I'll share the loot with you after I post bail. Or give you my Ferrari Testarossa.

Your choice.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode