Aftermarket exhaust gaskets needed-help!! - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 12-16-2011, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 48
Aftermarket exhaust gaskets needed-help!!

Hey guys. Trying to button up my full Stebro exhaust on my TR. I have tried every kind of gasket from Ferrari but none are working. I need to find a doughnut gasket that can be used to connect the test pipes to the muffler that are made to crush. The factory gaskets are hard and the Stebro system will not accept them. Before anyone tells me to call Stebro...let's just leave it at that is not an option. I'm thing to find the supplier of the gaskets they use or a source here in the states that can ship easily without worry about customs. Any help would be appreciated. Car has been tied up for over a month waiting on a stupid 12.00 gasket!! Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
I am not familiar with any doughnut style exhaust gasket that is designed to crush more than just the tiniest amount.

I assume there is a fit problem causing leakage? Welcome to the Stebro conundrum. There are reasons they have such a bad reputation.

It is hard to give advice without at least a good description of the problem but some fabrication/bending/welding assitance from your local muffler shop may be required.

Maybe a bad time to say this but life is too short to deal with low bidder/known bad supplier parts.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-17-2011, 05:55 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
Does it require the same basic shape as the "factory" doughnuts with the chamfer on the edges....or some other shape?

post #4 of 15 Old 12-18-2011, 06:54 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
Not sure if this will help but on American V8 racecars I've had good luck using the "Ultra Copper" maximum temp Permatex on header gaskets. Never tried it on the donut type connections. I've used it many times when the header flanges were warped and didn't seal correctly.

My only other thought is see if you can find someone that works in a muffler shop to see if they can match something up for you?

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/pr...810875&ref=gmc

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #5 of 15 Old 12-18-2011, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Sorta....its for the connection between the test pipe and muffler...so basically it's flat on one end and curved on the other....shaped like a dough nut. The gaskets I got from Stebro were like a softer...almost woven type metal. The ones I ordered from Ricambi were a very hard metal and when smashed into the junction and tightened...then snap and break. I'm very frustrated...can't believe this stupid 4.00 part is holding up the whole operation. There has to be a supplier here somewhere!
post #6 of 15 Old 12-18-2011, 08:37 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 67
Second the use of Ultra Cooper. Have used it many times to repair exhaust systems on my 4x4 to get back from Baja back into California at border crossing.
Something about US not liking open exhaust pipes.
Have one repair that is 5 yrs old and still solid. A little Ultra cooper on donut and bolt it up.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-18-2011, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRace View Post
Not sure if this will help but on American V8 racecars I've had good luck using the "Ultra Copper" maximum temp Permatex on header gaskets. Never tried it on the donut type connections. I've used it many times when the header flanges were warped and didn't seal correctly.

My only other thought is see if you can find someone that works in a muffler shop to see if they can match something up for you?

Permatex Ultra Copper Maximum Temperature RTV Silicone 3 oz. | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Yeah, I used that stuff exclusively on my GTR years ago for the mid pipe. It worked fine but this thing is like a front row view of the whole system through the back of the car. Exhaust looks like art work and don't want to smear orange silicone all over the polished pipe, yah know?
post #8 of 15 Old 12-18-2011, 08:47 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Try these...............
Attached Images

post #9 of 15 Old 12-18-2011, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrywittig View Post
Try these...............
Hmm..part number is coming up invalid on napa site
post #10 of 15 Old 12-18-2011, 09:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
I think what Kerry posted is the smaller 2" Header-to-precat doughnuts, and you need the larger 3" doughnuts.....right? You may have to have someone "tweek" the flanges & pipes to get them parallel. Then get some new doughnuts, grind one side flat and leave the other side chamfered. Am I picturing this right? It may help if you post a picture? And if you can limit the amount of sealant used, I agree with the others that ultra-copper is good stuff.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-18-2011, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Yes. I need the larger 3" gasket. Does anyone have a number for this part?
post #12 of 15 Old 12-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRChad View Post
Yeah, I used that stuff exclusively on my GTR years ago for the mid pipe. It worked fine but this thing is like a front row view of the whole system through the back of the car. Exhaust looks like art work and don't want to smear orange silicone all over the polished pipe, yah know?
You don't have to put it all over the pipes, just a little on the mating surfaces of the donut gasket.

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #13 of 15 Old 12-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRace View Post
You don't have to put it all over the pipes, just a little on the mating surfaces of the donut gasket.

It is still just a band aid.

Fix it right. Fix it once.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-19-2011, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Here's what I need...searched all over and nobody here knows where to find them. 3.5" outer diameter, 2.5" inner diameter and 7/8" thick.
Attached Images

post #15 of 15 Old 05-10-2012, 08:50 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
Felpro 8194

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode