Testarossa not starting - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 01-13-2004, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Testarossa not starting

I am new to the wonderful world of Ferrari with a recent purchase of an 88 Testarossa. After a short drive and stop - we were not able to restart? The starter seems to crank freely. I may get 2 or 3 engine cranks then the starter seems to spin freely again? No engine noise - (like valves hitting pistons).

Do the testarossas have starter problems - or am I facing @ a bigger issue?

I will finally have time this weekend to look a little deeper into the issus - thanks for any advice on where to start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-13-2004, 09:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 749
Firstly welcome marcinhay! Congratulations on acquiring such a great car. Pls post any pix or info like colours, etc here too!

Could this just be a battery problem? A free-spinning starter indicates that it hasn't engaged the flywheel teeth. I'm not sure about the TR but most starters require a minimum rotational speed and/or battery voltage to get (and keep) teeth engagement. A new or recharged battery may fix, otherwise maybe the starter/solenoid unit needs cleaning/adjustment to get the proper throw of the pinion. These are probably the easier fixes!
post #3 of 4 Old 01-14-2004, 12:12 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,211
Welcome here,

I'm not that technical, but I'm sure somebody here can help you. Let us see some pics of your car

Greets

Bob Hagendijk

post #4 of 4 Old 01-14-2004, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Thanks for the response - we got her started, but seem to have an electrical issue or ? Does not have the full power - it revs fine but when driving, feels like its running on 6 cylinders?

Also - does anyone know if you can chrome the OEM Wheels or what aftermarkets are available for the center spindle wheels?
Attached Images

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode