New TR owner, clutch replacement - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 Old 10-12-2011, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 42
New TR owner, clutch replacement

Hallo to you all,

My name is Peter and I am new at FL and since 2 days the proud owner of a 1987 black Testarossa. I already read a lot on this forum and got a lot of usefull information (especially from carguy). Thanks!

The thing is that I bought this TR (for a very good price), but there is a lot that have to be repaired on this car. It had been stored in a barn for the last 10 years and the clutch does not work at all anymore.

Anyway I picked it up earlier this week and here's a picture of it: Name:  DSC00305.jpg
Views: 2964
Size:  49.9 KB

The question I have is: does anyone of you have experience with the repair / replacement of a TR clutch?

I will do all repairs by myself and as far as I can see now (I did not disassemble anything yet) I have to replace the complete clutch unit. The OEM clutch is here in Europe about 2.800,00. But I can get a new unit from AP for about 775,00 euro.

Does anybody have experience with an AP clutch?

The clutch repair will be done with the car on the floor in my own garage-box and I do not have an (how you call this...) elevator...?! But I suppose this would not be a problem, beacause carguy does a complete 30k inspection on the floor :-).

I suppose I have to disassemble the first part of the air intake, and the exhaust system in order to reach the clutch area. As far as I can see it than will only be a manner of draining the transmission gear on the bell housing, disconnect clutch hydraulics etc., and than remove the clutch housing with it's gearbox. I guess the plates will be completely worn, because I am even not able to move the car now in first gear. Because of this, it also might be possible that the pressure plate is broken, however the clutch pedal still feels ok to me. But I have to say that I have never driven a TR before, so I don't know how the pedal should feel. Does the pedal require a lot of pressure? Therefore I am very curious what to find... I hope the flyweel will still be usable.

So, can anybody give me any tips on this clutch project I have to do?

Also, the interior of the car has a very heavy smell of leather. I know there is of couse a lot of leather in the car, and the doors of the car have been closed for 10 years, but do the TR's of you guys also still have a leather smell inside the car?

I am happy that I found this forum and I thank you in advance for your comments!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 10-12-2011, 04:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Welcome to FLife

Gotta love a black TR

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #3 of 46 Old 10-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
After 10 years of no activity, I would imagine the clutch does need some work, as well as other items on the car. These cars do not appreciate just sitting around. Was there a reason why the car was parked for all that time?

post #4 of 46 Old 10-13-2011, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Hi Carguy and Champagne612,

Thanks for your reply's.

I figured out that this car was stored in a barn together with some Lamborghini's for 10 years and that the owner went bankrupt, so a trustee brought these cars to auction. This happened 8 months ago. Somebody bought the TR at this auction and sold it again 8 months later at another auction. Maybe he found out there is a lot to be done on the car, or maybe he just made some money with it. I don't know.

There is no service book with the car and there is no other history known, so my opinion was that it would only be interesting to me if I could buy the car for a very good price. So..., I never saw the car in real life, only some pictures on the internet auction site, made an offer, and 2 days later I was the owner of a Ferrari Testarossa! Tricky business or not :-)

I picked up the car a few days ago and I actually did not expect that the visual condition of the car would be as it it. Some paintwork has to be done because of some dents and some minor rust on the air intakes behind the doors. Also the leather interior needs to be cleaned and polished, but other than that, it does look pretty good. Of course the electric windows move very bad and I expect that there will be some electrical problems, but these problems are all repairable by myself.

Other than that, I have to repair the clutch and I plann to do a 30k service. In the instruction manual somebody made a note by hand saying that the a 10k service and valve clearance was done 7k km back. So, as far as maintenance, the car only requires a 30k minus the valve clearance. I saw some minor oil leakage, so during the 30k service I will replace all camshaft seals, cranckshaft seals, etc.

First thing to do is the clutch, which I will disassemble this weekend.

A question for carguy:
The clutch slips so much that you hardly can drive away in first gear. If the plates are not worn to the rivits yet, would it be possible to remove the presure plate spacers and have a good working clutch again...?
If not, would you advise to replace it with an AP clutch or an OEM clutch?

Thanks in advance for your comment(s).
post #5 of 46 Old 10-13-2011, 04:18 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Good Luck! Very interested to see how this story plays out. Please keep us up to date. Sorry, can't help you with the clutch.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #6 of 46 Old 10-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 124
I have my clutch resurfaced with kevlar by ClutchMasters in CA: http://www.clutchmasters.com/.
They do a great job for about $1K. The kevlar clutch works really well and is virtually indestructable...

In addition to clutch, what you should really do - is to change timing belts. Those belts would become very brittle due to temperature and humidity fluctuations and because nobody turned over the motor while the car was sitting in a barn... If one of those belts will snap, it will cost you a lot to repair the broken valves, pistons and cylinder heads...
post #7 of 46 Old 10-13-2011, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgelovani View Post
I have my clutch resurfaced with kevlar by ClutchMasters in CA: Clutchmasters.com - High Performance Clutches and Flywheels. find out that
They do a great job for about $1K. The kevlar clutch works really well and is virtually indestructable...

In addition to clutch, what you should really do - is to change timing belts. Those belts would become very brittle due to temperature and humidity fluctuations and because nobody turned over the motor while the car was sitting in a barn... If one of those belts will snap, it will cost you a lot to repair the broken valves, pistons and cylinder heads...
Hoi jgelovani,

Thanks for the comment.

I know I realy have to change the timing belts. I don't want to drive with the car, before this is done. So, firts clucht replacement, then 30k service and then I can finally drive the TR for the first time (and probably will find out that a lot of other repairs need to be done).

Concerning the clutch, I have read more about the good job ClutchMasters can do with the kevlar. However I do not live in nthe USA and I can get a new AP clutch unit in the UK for 775 euros (which is even cheaper).

Anyway, tomorrow I will disassemble the clutch to see what's wrong with it.

I'll keep you guys informed...
post #8 of 46 Old 10-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Peter, congrats on the TR. Let us know how the clutch project goes and if we can help.
post #9 of 46 Old 10-15-2011, 08:07 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petervg1 View Post
Hoi jgelovani,

Thanks for the comment.

I know I realy have to change the timing belts. I don't want to drive with the car, before this is done. So, firts clucht replacement, then 30k service and then I can finally drive the TR for the first time (and probably will find out that a lot of other repairs need to be done).

Concerning the clutch, I have read more about the good job ClutchMasters can do with the kevlar. However I do not live in nthe USA and I can get a new AP clutch unit in the UK for 775 euros (which is even cheaper).

Anyway, tomorrow I will disassemble the clutch to see what's wrong with it.

I'll keep you guys informed...
Also, there should be a VALEO aftermarket clutch for Testarossa, if I am not mistaken...
post #10 of 46 Old 10-15-2011, 09:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,094
Congratulations on the new car.
Post some photos of the repair if you can.

The AP option sounds good to me....my understanding is that most 355s go for the AP option where practicable.
post #11 of 46 Old 10-16-2011, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Hi there,

Yesterday I have worked on the car and removed the clutch in order to see what is wrong. And guess what..., the clutch plates were completely worn. Below you will find some pictures.

The fingers of the presure plate also got some wear. This is because the thrust bearing is also worn. The wear on the presure plate is not that bad, and the spacer and flyweel also look ok.

As a lot of people say that maintaining a Ferrari is very expensive, I will prove the oposite and try to keep the cost as low as possible, without reducing the quality of the maintenance. Therefore I will probably only replace the 2 clutch disks.

As mentioned by somebody earlier, these plates are probably manufactured by Valeo for Ferrari. The guy from my local parts store already called Valeo and they are finding out wheather they can supply the plates directly to us.

The top bearing needs to be replaced. This one is not that expensive. The thrus bearing on the other side is quite expensive and therefore I am looking for an alternative. It might originaly be manufactured by SKF, but I don't know yet.

Anybody who knows where to source the non-OEM trust bearing?

Here some pictures:
Name:  Exhausts removed.jpg
Views: 2658
Size:  42.0 KB

Name:  Heat Shield removed.jpg
Views: 2176
Size:  55.8 KB

Name:  Bell Housing Removed.jpg
Views: 2271
Size:  52.3 KB

Name:  Clutch assembly.jpg
Views: 2626
Size:  42.2 KB

Name:  Clutch plate.jpg
Views: 2164
Size:  38.7 KB

Name:  Pressure plate.jpg
Views: 2368
Size:  38.6 KB
post #12 of 46 Old 10-16-2011, 07:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 406
Great to see you working on the car yourself! SKF has a production plant about 15 minutes from me, if you got the part number I could perhaps see if it's cheaper to get it factory direct and fedex it to you. Good luck with it, it's a beautiful car!

Jay
post #13 of 46 Old 10-16-2011, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Great to see you working on the car yourself! SKF has a production plant about 15 minutes from me, if you got the part number I could perhaps see if it's cheaper to get it factory direct and fedex it to you. Good luck with it, it's a beautiful car!

Jay
Hi Jay,

Thanks for your message.

The Ferrari part number is 70000567.
If you can help me out, that would be great!

Cheers
post #14 of 46 Old 10-16-2011, 08:27 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petervg1 View Post
Hi Jay,

Thanks for your message.

The Ferrari part number is 70000567.
If you can help me out, that would be great!

Cheers
I will check with them tomorrow for you, have you checked out this company? Clutch Release Bearing upto SN 80085- 70000567: Ferrari 30 Part For Testarossa

EDIT: http://www.eurospares.co.uk/searchResult.asp?S=138376 is about the same in euros. That bearing is cheaper somewhere I'm sure.
Looks like it would work and be less money than other places.

2nd edit: I called and found out that sadly on this part you cannot get dealer direct but that cost on the bearing is $195 US before dealer markup. Good luck

Last edited by JayG; 10-17-2011 at 12:25 PM.
post #15 of 46 Old 10-21-2011, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Hi Jay,

That's a pitty...

Thanks anyway for the effort!
post #16 of 46 Old 11-01-2011, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Engine out

Yesterday, I worked on the car again.

After disconnecting all wiring, hoses, the gear shifter, etc., I mounted back the wheels and the car was put back on the wheels again. All bolts that connect the body frame with the engine subframe were removed. Next the body of the car was jacked up so that there was enough space to pull the engine backwards out of the car.

The airco was working ok, so I took the compressor from the engine and left all hoses connected, so that I can mount the compressor back to the engine after all work was done.

The engine subframe was supported by some extra wheels on the front side, so that it was easy to move the engine.

On the last picture, you see see the thermostat housing. Some coolant leakage is visible. Therefore the connecting hoses will be renewed.

As I was not able to test the car before, I do not know whether the both thermostats do work correctly. Therefore these will also be replaced by new ones.
Attached Images

post #17 of 46 Old 11-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Impressive. Is your plan to keep it OEM or are you considering aftermarket?
post #18 of 46 Old 11-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Peter- You can check thermostat function by putting them in a pan of water with a thermometer and heating until they open. Specs should be in the workshop manual.

Unless they are cheap, then just replace them.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #19 of 46 Old 11-02-2011, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Hi Taz,

I know that's a way to test the thermostats, but I was able to buy two new ones for just 65,00.

and hi Andrew,

A lot of Ferrari parts are not manufactured by Ferrari themselves, so for those parts I will not use OEM parts. For all other parts that I can not get from the original manufacturers, I will use Ferrari parts.
post #20 of 46 Old 11-02-2011, 01:42 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
A belated welcome to FL, and looks like a great project there. Have to admire your courage and knowledge. w/ smiles Jimmy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/trs-testarossa-f512m/15205-new-tr-owner-clutch.html
Posted By For Type Date
Historie bij iemand bekend? - F-Chat.eu This thread Refback 10-16-2011 06:39 AM