1991 TR New Owner - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 08-26-2011, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 48
1991 TR New Owner

Hey guys...good to join the group. Ive dreamed of owning one of these since I was a kid watching Miami Vice!! I like to do a lot of work myself so I will be on here often with questions. First one...I want to run straight exhaust, or at least get rid of pre and post cats. Please advise. Best place to buy? Check engine lights? What do I need to do to wake this thing up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-26-2011, 04:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRChad View Post
Hey guys...good to join the group. Ive dreamed of owning one of these since I was a kid watching Miami Vice!! I like to do a lot of work myself so I will be on here often with questions. First one...I want to run straight exhaust, or at least get rid of pre and post cats. Please advise. Best place to buy? Check engine lights? What do I need to do to wake this thing up?
Chad - drive it man just drive it.

The car has a lot of spirit. Once you get a feel for it and see other mods on like cars you can make the best decisions.

If you have not gone on you tube and heard all the different exhaust notes a TR is capable of producing - I suggest doing so.

Like your spirit about loud Ferrari's

BTW ... went and saw your team play the Cards last night ... great game
post #3 of 19 Old 08-26-2011, 04:55 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Quote:
Talk to Richard and Fernando at Competizione in MD (F-Life sponsor). They did mods on my TR.

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/co...petizione.html

Last edited by 360 Modena; 08-26-2011 at 06:08 AM.

post #4 of 19 Old 08-26-2011, 05:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Welcome Chad.

Tell us more on your TR. How long have you had it pics. Where did you acquire it.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #5 of 19 Old 08-26-2011, 04:59 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 573
I have a Borla exhaust and straight pipes that I've been running on my '86 TR. I took it off to swap on the OEM exhaust setup last week for Monterey. The Borla & pipes are currently off the car & just sitting at the shop. I'm not 100% certain, but I believe it should fit a '91 just fine.

The Borla sounds pretty cool and the car runs less restricted for sure but I'm fine running the car 100% stock and leaving the original exhaust and pipes/cats on it.

Make me an offer I can't refuse and it can be shipped to you ASAP.

Rick

PS You could also call Glenn at Nouvalari and get a quote for something spectacular and custom made - with a budget friendly price. Check them out at www.nouvalari-usa.com

Last edited by Sandy Eggo; 08-26-2011 at 07:08 PM.
post #6 of 19 Old 08-26-2011, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Anyone know if this is true?
post #7 of 19 Old 08-27-2011, 06:17 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
Yes the Borla will fit your car. If your not interested in it please let me know as I might be.
post #8 of 19 Old 08-27-2011, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I am VERY interested. Was told today that the earlier cars are different though so just need to clarify. Please keep me posted
post #9 of 19 Old 08-28-2011, 06:34 AM
Owner

All North American Testarossas up to year 1991 use the same exhaust system, so the Borla will fit....no problems.
post #10 of 19 Old 08-28-2011, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Owner

See that's interesting...the guys at Nuvalari and Fabspeed both sell seperate systems for 1986-1991. I think there are actually three different part numbers that span the entire production period.
post #11 of 19 Old 08-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Owner

Yes that is interesting. I owned an '87 TR and I installed a Borla system on it. When I sold the car I kept the system....later I installed it on a '90 model year TR. Maybe the 1986 TR is different in regards to the exhaust system but I doubt it. Let me know what you find out.
post #12 of 19 Old 08-30-2011, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Still waiting to hear. On the subject of exhaust, whats the deal with those metal tubes coming off the pre cats? Mine are busted off on bank 7-12. Does this matter. Should I take off? Reweld? What about when I replace post cats and muffler?
post #13 of 19 Old 08-30-2011, 09:01 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
If cats are not an issue I strongly suggest the Hyperflow precat eliminators. The factory pipes are terrible from a flow perspective.
post #14 of 19 Old 08-30-2011, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I was told to leave the factory pre cats. Does anyone have any experience with removing these as well? Also, what happens when you remove the tubes connected to the factory pre cats? What about the plugs that connect on the back of the motor? What do you do with those?
post #15 of 19 Old 08-30-2011, 04:19 PM
Owner

Quote:
I was told to leave the factory pre cats. Does anyone have any experience with removing these as well? Also, what happens when you remove the tubes connected to the factory pre cats? What about the plugs that connect on the back of the motor? What do you do with those?

Ditch the precats. BTDT. Most badly engineered part of the car. If you need cats it is better to keep the mains and take off the precats.

The tubes are for tuning. Nice to have them but not the end of the world if they are gone.

The plugs are for the O2 sensors. Any exhaust mod should keep them operational and avoid any exhaust that does not allow the O2's to sample all 6 cylinders on each bank.
post #16 of 19 Old 08-30-2011, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Brian-

What if I did test pipes on pre and post cat and ran factory muffler? What does that sound like?
post #17 of 19 Old 08-31-2011, 08:26 AM
Owner

Quote:
Brian-

What if I did test pipes on pre and post cat and ran factory muffler? What does that sound like?

I have never heard one, sorry.

I do have it on very good authority though that the configuration you describe will make more HP than with several of the aftermarket mufflers.

The stock muffler is a very good design. The poor cats are the problem.
post #18 of 19 Old 08-31-2011, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Owner

OK so I'm pretty sure Hyper flow has the only set of Pre cats correct? Who's got the best deal on precats?
post #19 of 19 Old 08-31-2011, 06:28 PM
Owner

Precats are available from other sources too, I know that Stebro makes some. I'm pretty sure that Tubi does also.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode