1990 Testarossa owner to be - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-08-2011, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 48
1990 Testarossa owner to be

Hey guys. Hoping to pickup a 90 TR in the next week. This has been on my list since I was a kid. Can't wait!! Car has 34k miles and service records. Having a very well known and respected tech do PPI on the car, so i'm all set on the mechanics. My question is, how do I put a fair value on this car? I totally trust the seller, who has become a good friend, but I just want to make sure I'm buying it right. How do you put a value on these? I realize major service helps, but can someone give a value with major done and without major done? That would really help. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRChad View Post
Hey guys. Hoping to pickup a 90 TR in the next week. This has been on my list since I was a kid. Can't wait!! Car has 34k miles and service records. Having a very well known and respected tech do PPI on the car, so i'm all set on the mechanics. My question is, how do I put a fair value on this car? I totally trust the seller, who has become a good friend, but I just want to make sure I'm buying it right. How do you put a value on these? I realize major service helps, but can someone give a value with major done and without major done? That would really help. Thanks!
Value as in market?

There are so many variables ... I would start with asking him what he think it's worth - trust me he knows - no reason to bid against yourself.

Look for comparable cars on e-bay etc. take the asking price and knock off 15% min.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
Take a look at Ferrari Market Letter, Cavallino and Forza. Between the three, you should be able to formulate a reasonable guess as to value. Since a major service can run anywhere from 8-15K I would deduct that from whatever price to calculate. Most of the valuation you'll see is with cars that have no issues, that is top of the market. A low price while not necessarily a bad deal does at least beg you to ask the obvious questions regarding service and documentation.

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....

post #4 of 10 Old 08-08-2011, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Owner

What is cavallino and forza? Also, does anyone has a list of parts for these cars that is a cross reference? I seem to remember a lot of the parts can had for a fraction of the cost outside of the dealership. I am pretty good at doing a lot of my own maintenance. Over the years I've had a lot of high maintenance stuff so I'd like to learn how to do a lot myself. I appreciate the help!
post #5 of 10 Old 08-09-2011, 04:26 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,515
You may want to pimp the TR (F40 Brembos, custom 18" 3-piece wheels, P-Zeros, carbon fiber glass engine cover, carbon heat shield) -- factor in ~$25k in the price if you decide to do so

Testarossa Carbon Fiber Products

I like what I've done to my car, but I also understand it's not for everyone.

See contrast photo of two TRs and you'll know what I mean.
Attached Images

post #6 of 10 Old 08-09-2011, 07:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 Modena View Post
You may want to pimp the TR (F40 Brembos, custom 18" 3-piece wheels, P-Zeros, carbon fiber glass engine cover, carbon heat shield) -- factor in ~$25k in the price if you decide to do so
The traditionalists may hate it, but your 'Rossa looks good
post #7 of 10 Old 08-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRChad View Post
What is cavallino and forza? Also, does anyone has a list of parts for these cars that is a cross reference? I seem to remember a lot of the parts can had for a fraction of the cost outside of the dealership. I am pretty good at doing a lot of my own maintenance. Over the years I've had a lot of high maintenance stuff so I'd like to learn how to do a lot myself. I appreciate the help!
Cavallino and Forza are both magazines geared towards the Ferrari enthusiast. Both offer perspectives on value. TRutlands, Ricambi America, and FerrParts are great sources for aftermarket parts. Caribou and Norwood offer upgrades to engine and brakes.

post #8 of 10 Old 08-09-2011, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ok, so based on your knowledge of the market...what is a 90 with 30-35k miles worth sorted out?
post #9 of 10 Old 08-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Owner

Depends... is it 30 to 35K worth of track miles or is 35K worth of casual driving? I'm guessing about $60-65K.

But don't take my word for it... Go get a subscription to Ferrari market Letter and look up current asking prices to get yourself a more informed quick idea of what the market may be.

post #10 of 10 Old 08-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 862
engine lid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 Modena View Post

Testarossa Carbon Fiber Products

I like what I've done to my car, but I also understand it's not for everyone.

See contrast photo of two TRs and you'll know what I mean.
that clear engine lid is SICK!!...NICE GOING,,I LOVE IT,!!!,,showing off that flat 12 was a fantastic idea...i wish i could see it in person,,!!,,

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode