Starting problems with my 512tr - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-19-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6
Starting problems with my 512tr

Hi
Has anyone had cranking problems with there tr? Today I went for a ride and after a half hour I stopped an got a drink, when I got back in the car I hit turned the ignition switch and click click was all I got. I waited a few mins and varooooom! Stopped a wile later and no problem. Has anyone had this issue before any help would be great! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
It's most likely the solenoid on top of the starter that is giving you trouble. It's always a good idea to verify that all the main power connections are good and clean, like battery terminals, the connections at the starter itself, and also the main power coupler down at the bottom-left frame rail below the engine - yes it's there.

If you determine for sure that you need a new solenoid, don't go to the Ferrari dealership, it will cost you BIG time! Try this source instead. I've used this solenoid on several TRs and it's very good:

http://www.wai-wetherill.com/product...ai_num=66-9131

WAI Part Number 66-9131 (was Ace Electric 7-851)
post #3 of 5 Old 09-05-2011, 04:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 48
This link is no longer valid. Does anyone have the part number for a '91 TR? Also, where is the solenoid located? Can't seem to find it.

Thanks.

post #4 of 5 Old 09-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,846
Chad- Go to wai-wetherill.com and then do a search for part number 66-9131. Pops right up. Looks like you have to register to use the site.

Here is the 90 and later starter and solenoid from Ricambi's online catalog (#1). They do not show a separate solenoid, so you might want to ask Daniel at Ricambi about it. Starter is only about $2200.

Not much about the starter in the WSM, or I missed it.

Taz
Terry Phillips
Attached Images

Last edited by tazandjan; 09-05-2011 at 05:28 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
When I purchased these solenoids in the past, I had to go through a starter-alternator rebuilder and have them order the part. It seems that these solenoids were not for sale to the average joe at that time. Luckily I have a buddy who owns just such a business. He ordered the part and it showed up in a couple of days. It's a direct swap for the the original part.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode