testarossa seatbelt - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-05-2009, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
testarossa seatbelt

Posting to help friend who just purchased a 1987 TR. He has many questions, but for now wants to start with the pass seatbelt. Is there a way to disconnect it and replace with more normal belt and harness. I think this has already been done for the driver's seat. He also thinks that there is a battery drain from the seat belt controller. He doesn't have a wiring diagram for the US model. Is there another relay,ect for the ROW model that will disable the US system ? My hobby has been with Porsches for the last 45yrs (please don't hold this againt me !!) and openwheel racing, so Ferraris are new to me..We have a LOT to learn!! Any help will be greatly appreciated..
lujac
Indiana,USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
From 1987 onwards, all TRs had the motorized seat belts. There is a factory repair campaign for those seat belts, so the first thing to do is call a Ferrari dealer and see if that car has been upgraded or not. This is a free fix - so it's worth checking out.

As for changing out the seat belt system to a "manual" system, it can be done a couple of ways....

The best way would be to buy a manual seat belt system from an earlier TR or maybe even a European TR, and retrofit them. Even though that car has the motorized system, there are still attachment points for the manual system too. The big drawback is that some interior trim panels (above the doors, and behind the doors) are different for the manual system. You will also have the motorized "mouse" channels at the upper edge of the doors to deal with, you can remove them, but they leave a big gap.

Another less desirable way is to buy a generic seat belt set and install them - I've done this on a TR and it is NOT fun at all. Some brackets will need to be fabricated, nothing too difficult....but still not a walk in the park. GREAT CARE must be taken when removing the interior panels to access the mounting points - I cannot stress this enough! These panels can bend or kink easily.

If you simply want to disable the passenger's side system, you can remove the trim panel below the side-rear window and unplug the "mouse" motor system there. The ECUs for the seat belts are buried down in the center console up near the footwell area.

Sorry if my ramblings have confused you....it's Monday and my brain is running lean....
post #3 of 11 Old 07-06-2009, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Thanks for your reply.. Do you know what the recall involves ?? Any idea where to look for a early setup ? Does the early setup have a retraction winder it the door post ? Will it fit without removing the mouse moto,ect. Sorry for so many questions, but I have a lot to learn !!!
lujac
INDY

post #4 of 11 Old 07-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
Those recalls were completed IIRC about 2002, at least for FofNA. Call a rep. dealer that does authorized Ferrari work and they can get the recall notice....but personally thinking if not already done [doubtful] it won't be free.

My Mondial T has those lousy auto-belts, and most people disconnected them, via the motor power line. IF I recall, I think the belt light doesn't even go on.

I have two connectors on each belt, which is stock, and that T is a 1990 which is prob. older than the TR...so, thinking you have a static connection by the seat and a mobile one.

IF NOT, I'd just power the thing to the side, disconnect the power, and use as static. IF this is what you want. IF you want to mount an entire new set of attachment points [4/5 point] that's a horse of a different color

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #5 of 11 Old 11-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Owner

BUMP : Taz - do you have this recall notice?

I remember seeing all the TRs at Dubois street, San Rafael getting seatbelt fixes---talk about eye candy---saw over 40 TRs there. They used local staff then contracted, on-site, to others to perform.

TAZ: Do you have the recall notice for this?

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #6 of 11 Old 11-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,846
Rik- No, but they are easy to find. This came off Automobile magazine's web site. Note it says for 1990 TRs, not 1987s, but that is a fairly common simplification. Since it mentions 2008 units, that is certainly more than were built US spec for MY1990.

Recall ID # 03V142000 - SEAT BELTS
Recall Date:APR 07, 2003Component:SEAT BELTSModel Affected:TESTAROSSAPotential Units Affected:2008 Recall Details Recall Date:
APR 07, 2003

Model Affected:
1990 FERRARI TESTAROSSA

Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE PASSIVE RESTRAINT SYSTEM MAY NOT FUNCTION CORRECTLY. INCONSISTENT ELECTRICAL OPERATION OF THE AUTOMATIC TRACK ASSEMBLY HAS BEEN EXPERIENCED.

Consequence:
IF THE PASSIVE RESTRAINT SYSTEM EXPERIENCES AN ELECTRICAL OR MECHANICAL FAILURE, THE SEAT OCCUPANT WOULD NOT BE FULLY PROTECTED.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE ALL THE MAIN COMPONENTS OF THE PASSIVE SEAT BELT SYSTEM. THIS INCLUDES THE ELECTRONIC CONTROL UNITS, THE RETRACTOR MECHANISM, AND BOTH THE RIGHT AND LEFT MOTOR DRIVEN TRACK ASSEMBLIES. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN APRIL 24, 2003. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT FERRARI AT 1-201-816-2651.

Potential Units Affected:

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-17-2011, 11:21 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Rik- No, but they are easy to find. This came off Automobile magazine's web site. Note it says for 1990 TRs, not 1987s, but that is a fairly common simplification. Since it mentions 2008 units, that is certainly more than were built US spec for MY1990.

Recall ID # 03V142000 - SEAT BELTS
Recall Date:APR 07, 2003Component:SEAT BELTSModel Affected:TESTAROSSAPotential Units Affected:2008 Recall Details Recall Date:
APR 07, 2003

Model Affected:
1990 FERRARI TESTAROSSA

Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE PASSIVE RESTRAINT SYSTEM MAY NOT FUNCTION CORRECTLY. INCONSISTENT ELECTRICAL OPERATION OF THE AUTOMATIC TRACK ASSEMBLY HAS BEEN EXPERIENCED.

Consequence:
IF THE PASSIVE RESTRAINT SYSTEM EXPERIENCES AN ELECTRICAL OR MECHANICAL FAILURE, THE SEAT OCCUPANT WOULD NOT BE FULLY PROTECTED.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE ALL THE MAIN COMPONENTS OF THE PASSIVE SEAT BELT SYSTEM. THIS INCLUDES THE ELECTRONIC CONTROL UNITS, THE RETRACTOR MECHANISM, AND BOTH THE RIGHT AND LEFT MOTOR DRIVEN TRACK ASSEMBLIES. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN APRIL 24, 2003. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT FERRARI AT 1-201-816-2651.

Potential Units Affected:

Talk about quick: However, the links not working for me...for you?

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #8 of 11 Old 11-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,846
Rik- The link results are what is printed below.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 11
Seat belt recall

I purchased a 1988 TR last year that had a lot of warts that needed to be fixed..thank goodness I have a machine shop and can fix most anything. One of the warts was the automatic seat belts were not working. I called Lake Forest Sports cars in Chicago because I saw something about the recall and they were the closest authorized dealer close to Minnesota. Right then on the phone the guy looked up the car and told me the recall work was never done on the car. They arranged to pick up the car from Minnesota at no charge as they had to drop off another car. They replaced all the belts and everything is working now and It cost me $0. It's worth a call. That however, has been the only good story in regards to the $$ I'm spending getting the TR in shape. In hindsight, like many before me have said, I should have spend an additional $10K for better TR with less work...but I do love the time in my Man Cave this winter working on the car and almost done with the short list.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,094
I guess part of the ownership experience involves time working on sorting out the little glitches on these old cars.

Even with an extra 10k in the purchase of a clean car there would be things that would require attention as time progresses.

I see it (very much like you) as part of the ownership experience.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 94
Lujac, I have a set of Klippan inertia reel lap sash belts that I was going to replace the motorized track units with when registering the car after importing. They fit and operate perfect but I was able to get a compliance exemption to allow the motor units to remain as stock. If they are of any use to you PM me and we can discuss.

The drawback is the side trim will have to be adapted and there is no turning back once its done. Removing all the trim as carguy says is tricky as they are strips of pressed aluminium and do kink. OP is on the money as the car is owed an upgrade if the VIN is not already registered as being fixed by the Dealer network.

Cheers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode